Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to Live on the Gold Coast

Places to Live on the Gold Coast

Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:16 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Places to Live on the Gold Coast

We've decided that the Gold Coast is where we're going to live (good facilities, great recreational choices, really lovely countryside and wonderful beaches) so far we have narrowed down the possible locations to

Maudsland
Riverdowns
Helensvale
Tallai (The GC's "Hollywood Hills" lol!) awesome views
Mudgeeraba
Robina (quite like the waterside homes here)

Saw quite a few houses for sale at Riverdowns and were wondering why so many are on the market - is there something they're not telling us?

It would be good to hear what other people think of these areas and what it's like to live there, what the schools are like etc. My son is already sold on the skate parks he's seen
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to Live on the Gold Coast

As far as I can see, and know, they are all fine. I wouldn't live in Helensvale but it's horses for courses. I guess it comes down to how much money you have. Out of that lot I would "personally" go for Mudgeeraba but they are all good areas. I guess it comes down to how far you want to be from the ocean. I know nothing about Riverdowns - where is it? Never heard of it and it's not in my UBD - Maybe that's why there are so many properties for sale there
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nerine
We've decided that the Gold Coast is where we're going to live (good facilities, great recreational choices, really lovely countryside and wonderful beaches) so far we have narrowed down the possible locations to

Maudsland
Riverdowns
Helensvale
Tallai (The GC's "Hollywood Hills" lol!) awesome views
Mudgeeraba
Robina (quite like the waterside homes here)

Saw quite a few houses for sale at Riverdowns and were wondering why so many are on the market - is there something they're not telling us?

It would be good to hear what other people think of these areas and what it's like to live there, what the schools are like etc. My son is already sold on the skate parks he's seen
We live in Mudgeeraba and love it, its got its own small shopping centre and village atmosphere and its so handy for everything. Only a 5 minute drive to the town centre in Robina, and 15 minutes to the beach at Burleigh. Its a extremely popular place to be.
Tallai is good if you want to be a bit futher out, and have more money to spend, most houses are on acreage and many have amazing views of the coast so you will have to drive further to town, school etc.
Anything on water and you need a lot of $$$$, Clear Island waters and Robina Island have some of the most expensive homes in the area and theres lots of sports facilities at nearby Pizzey park.
Can't comment on your top 3 places as they are in the northern GC but if your son is interested in skate boarding Mudgeeraba has loads of sports facilities, - skate park, baseball, football,bowls, tennis, swimming, cricket, mini athletics on Saturdays so plenty to do here.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:24 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Try to keep an open mind, the rental and housing shortage here mean you may have to be more open minded when you arrive.

I'd live in any of the places you have listed, in fact we have just bought in one of them but I am not sure where Riverdowns is?

The only place I WOULDN'T live is "the landings" in coomera (apologies to those who live there).
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Try to keep an open mind, the rental and housing shortage here mean you may have to be more open minded when you arrive.

I'd live in any of the places you have listed, in fact we have just bought in one of them but I am not sure where Riverdowns is?

The only place I WOULDN'T live is "the landings" in coomera (apologies to those who live there).
Hi,

I dont live at 'The Landings' but very close to it, just thought that maybe if you wouldnt live there it might be helpful if you let people know why or they may get a bad impression of the place for the wrong reasons. I probably wouldnt live there as it is too close to the motorway, and the prices dont seem to reflect that, being pretty high. I know from experience that when you are searching for info from the 'other side' you take peoples comments and opinions seriously, and this might put people off looking at houses in this whole area when in fact there are some very nice estates near there which are central to the schools in the area.

Julia
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:07 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi,

I dont live at 'The Landings' but very close to it, just thought that maybe if you wouldnt live there it might be helpful if you let people know why or they may get a bad impression of the place for the wrong reasons. I probably wouldnt live there as it is too close to the motorway, and the prices dont seem to reflect that, being pretty high. I know from experience that when you are searching for info from the 'other side' you take peoples comments and opinions seriously, and this might put people off looking at houses in this whole area when in fact there are some very nice estates near there which are central to the schools in the area.

Julia
Agreed, we had Upper Coomera on our list of places we liked. We especially liked sommerton Ridge but like you say the landings is VERY close to the motorway. I'm not sure if the motorway is concrete or Asphalt there but the concrete motorways are VERY noisy. Less insulation and single pane glass meant we soon ruled out the landings.

Coomera is on the up!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:28 am

I must admit I really like the atmosphere in Mudgeeraba. We were there on Sunday and loved the "olde worlde" type shops and restaurants/bars. Seems an ideal position being so close to the motorway and Robina with its station and all the facilities the town has to offer.

Riverdowns is an estate of mostly larger and older houses on large plots off the northern side of Helensvale Road between the motorway and the railway line, streets there include Clarence Drive, Rivertree Avenue etc. We were wondering if so many are up for sale due to something like the area being a flood zone, or the zoning being changed to permit subdivisions.

I think for me Mudgee is winning out at the moment, it's a gem of a place. It does seem to have a lot to offer doesn't it and the beach isnt that far away. We're in short term accommodation at the moment and will be looking for a longer term rental soon, when we get a better feel for it we can decide on where to buy. Going down there again this weekend so will have a closer look at the sporting facilities, someone is just itching to try out the skate park any recommendations for good rental agents?

Last edited by Nerine; Jul 10th 2007 at 12:31 am.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Are you coming to the Gold Coast meet up on Saturday Nerine? Will be a lot of people there who can give you first hand advice
Details are in the Meet Ups section.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:01 pm

I missed seeing that, thanks