Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Supporting Elderly Parents

Supporting Elderly Parents

Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future
Default Supporting Elderly Parents

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me, I am wanting to send regular money to the UK from Australia to support my Elderly parents, give them some extra income. I need some help on the best way to do this, I know of the bank transferring money, but it seems each time I want to transfer money it is going to cost me $20, and this will soon mount up if I am sending money regularly. Does anyone know of another way. Thanks in Advance.

Jo

Enjoying the lovely Winter sun on the Gold Coast.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:43 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supporting Elderly Parents

you could send international money orders cost $3.50 i think per money order could be wrong though.

kezx
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me, I am wanting to send regular money to the UK from Australia to support my Elderly parents, give them some extra income. I need some help on the best way to do this, I know of the bank transferring money, but it seems each time I want to transfer money it is going to cost me $20, and this will soon mount up if I am sending money regularly. Does anyone know of another way. Thanks in Advance.

Jo

Jo, that's a lovely thing to do. Have a look at http://tranzfers.com I think it costs $7 every time.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi Guys,

Jo

Hi Jo,
Just beware, my husband sent money to me every month and was charged $30 by his bank to do so. The Royal Bank of Scotland then charged me £12 to send the money on into my Lloyds account. Seems St George bank is affiliated wirh RBS and so they charged me too!! Rip off. Just check before you send anything.

Lou
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:15 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

try transferz as already suggested, or xetrade.com - cost GBP6.87 per time, and you can do it all online. If you're looking at playing witht he exchange rate, you can also place forward bids so when the exchange rate hits the desired point you want, the trade goes through. If it doesn't reach the rate you want, then the trade is cancelled.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:56 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

You could look at opening a Citibank account here in Australia and send the ATM card to your parents to withdraw cash in UK although you would have to check which of their local UK bank ATMs allow use of a Citibank card
Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Thanks for all you info, I shall let you know how I get on.

Jo