Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Stories...

Ping Pong Stories...

Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:52 am
Account Closed

-Aims- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ping Pong Stories...

Hi Everyone, i was wonderind if any ping pong poms have managed to settle in either uk or oz and feel really happy where u are now and how did u stop the cycle?

Im new to BE but already a seasoned ping ponger
Guernsey, UK - Australia
Australia - Jersey,UK
Jersey - Aus
Aus - Jersey
Jersey - Aus
Aus... now feeling like i want to go back to uk permanently - but how do u truely settle somewhere?

Im married to a Brit and have a baby and just want to be happy somewhere!

Last edited by -Aims-; Aug 26th 2010 at 11:46 am.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pong Stories...

Originally Posted by -Aims-
and how did u stop the cycle?
Some probably ran out of money to move country again...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

-Aims- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Some probably ran out of money to move country again...
Well we pretty much had nothing when we arrived in Tas this time, it took us 2 years to get on our feet again, and now everything is cruisy its a easy life here now, but a bit boring really, we knew we made a mistake as soon as we arrived here but couldnt afford to go back right away so we stayed, had a baby bought a house made the most of the situation. Every time i move to the UK I get home sick, I come back to Australia and get bored. The only difference this time is when we came back I saw Aus in a totally different light, I realised I had been brainwashed growing up here to beleve Aus is the best country in the world, but coming back this time it seemed daggy and boring besides having nice beaches I cant see the attraction with Aus any more, and Jersey has nice beaches too, so we are thinking shall we just do one more move and maybe we will feel settled in Jersey now? I feel done with Australia (but I am so scared of making another mistake we cant afford to keep doing this) I know I dont want to live here forever, if we did stay we would always be having the conversation about what our life could have been in the Channel Islands...
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:29 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]

I'd take the channel Islands
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:31 pm
ABCDiamond

I cant see the attraction with Aus any more,
In that case, like many people who no longer see the attraction of their home country, and are looking for a change, it is time for a move.

I did UK-NSW, then NSW-UK, then UK-NSW, then finally NSW-QLD

Now settled.

Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:33 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In that case, like many people who no longer see the attraction of their home country, and are looking for a change, it is time for a move.

I did UK-NSW, then NSW-UK, then UK-NSW, then finally NSW-QLD

Now settled.
Did you run out of money for the air fare back again?

(Whoops, unoriginal thought!)
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Go for the Channel Islands - at least you are a bit closer to civilization, variety, buzz etc
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by brissybee
Did you run out of money for the air fare back again?

(Whoops, unoriginal thought!)
Nope, just felt settled for the first time in a very long time. Never really felt that settled in NSW. I did have a few trips back to the UK after my last 'move' to Australia though, but only for a few weeks at a time.

Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone, i was wonderind if any ping pong poms have managed to settle in either uk or oz and feel really happy where u are now and how did u stop the cycle?

Im new to BE but already a seasoned ping ponger
Guernsey, UK - Australia
Australia - Jersey,UK
Jersey - Aus
Aus - Jersey
Jersey - Aus
Aus... now feeling like i want to go back to uk permanently - but how do u truely settle somewhere?

Im married to a Brit and have a baby and just want to be happy somewhere!
Have you heard the expression "If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've already got"? . . . I'm just wondering what would make things different for you on your third return to the Channel Islands . . .
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:23 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We've only done UK-Sydney, Sydney-UK, then UK-Sydney, so are fairly inexperienced ping-pongers. For me, part of it is my itchy feet. I want to be on the move, as I want to try something new again. That changed a little when our daughter was born two years ago. A little stability for her seemed important, so the decision to put down some roots was made and Sydney seemed the place to put them. We *think* this will be the last move. But who knows? Forever is a long time. I don't know how you truly settle somewhere. I don't know what that means, really. Home, for me, is a place in my head, so I don't feel the need to be in a particular location to be at home. That's how I feel happy where ever I am, because I choose to be. Where you are has nothing to do with it.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . I'm just wondering what would make things different for you on your third return to the Channel Islands . . .
I was going to ask earlier something similar - as in why Jersey again? Why not back to Guernsey, or one of the smaller ones?

Or even the UK, or Normandy, France? As in, somewhere easy enough to get to the Channel Islands.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I did AUS-UK-AUS-UK then picked myself up a husband-AUS-UK now sold up will rent for a while in the UK then early next year back in AUS, better be for good
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

East Anglia- Perth , Perth - E.A , heading back to Perth in May in what will be the last time.
Moving back to the UK was something we had to do . I never pined for the UK like I do for Aus . The lifestyle suits me ( and family ) and I knew I'd made a mistake after 2 weeks . Had a couple of curries and some pub nights and that was it. The UK has changed for me - I'm pinging back ASAP - Here comes the Sun

Good luck deciding.
Dave
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My parents immigrated with me only child at the age of 10 to Africa there five years and they headed off to New Zealand, there eight years and they headed to Aus. Meanwhile mum was the original UK is the best place on earth mum and I grew up believing that and wanting to be there in the UK. Married a Scot and lived in the uk and got used to it but then we came back here to Aus.

The upshot is that I moved so much and had to make friends so much in my young life I decided that I would never do that to my children. Fortunately we like living in Melbourne and now my children are grown and they feel like they belong, something I never had. I have a brother born in Africa and he also had a traveling lifestyle and both of us really are unhappy about our wandering childhood we would have liked stability in our lives.

Now I am an on ancient and talking to my oh last night we often chew the fat over a bottle of wine and discuss our lives etc. Funny thing is last night we were talking about Mum who is still the original want to be in UK person and saying its not the place we are in that changes we have to change to make ourselves content. What I believe changes is that we get older and what we wanted when we were young we no longer want. Nightclubs, dinner parties all that stuff get boring as we age well for me it does as its way too much work lol
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
My parents immigrated with me only child at the age of 10 to Africa there five years and they headed off to New Zealand, there eight years and they headed to Aus. Meanwhile mum was the original UK is the best place on earth mum and I grew up believing that and wanting to be there in the UK. Married a Scot and lived in the uk and got used to it but then we came back here to Aus.

The upshot is that I moved so much and had to make friends so much in my young life I decided that I would never do that to my children. Fortunately we like living in Melbourne and now my children are grown and they feel like they belong, something I never had. I have a brother born in Africa and he also had a traveling lifestyle and both of us really are unhappy about our wandering childhood we would have liked stability in our lives.

Now I am an on ancient and talking to my oh last night we often chew the fat over a bottle of wine and discuss our lives etc. Funny thing is last night we were talking about Mum who is still the original want to be in UK person and saying its not the place we are in that changes we have to change to make ourselves content. What I believe changes is that we get older and what we wanted when we were young we no longer want. Nightclubs, dinner parties all that stuff get boring as we age well for me it does as its way too much work lol
UK - NZ - UK - Melbourne.

Now very settled having found the perfect combination of lifestyle and economy.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.