Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong Stories...

Ping Pong Stories...

Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Pong Stories...

Whats surprised me about this thread..... Is there really more action in Jersey than Tasmania ?

Blimey !
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:36 am
Account Closed

-Aims- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whats surprised me about this thread..... Is there really more action in Jersey than Tasmania ?

Blimey !
Haha, good point! I wouldn't really call it action, more of a atmosphere or lifestyle in Jersey that we love. The channel islands hold a special place in our hearts, they are so beautiful and full of character and charm, my husband is from Jersey and all his family are there, however all my family are in Tasmania, and that for me is the draw card for Tasmania - I dont think we would be here if it wasn't for my family. I am really happy we made the move here this time as it has been good having the support of the family while we had our first child, we have grown up alot in the last 2 years and learnt alot of life lessons like not to rush into things and we wont rush into another move untill we are sure its the right time. We have learnt the value of money because it is so expensive in Australia and we really struggled to start with, we learnt we dont need things to be happy, but mostly I learnt I can survive if I cut the apron strings to my parents, The other day I said to my OH I feel ready to start living my own life now, I dont feel so desperate to be with my family anymore, which is probably the cause of my ping pong life to date! So hopefully I can break the cycle now

I think we will end up back in Jersey, its such a unique special place, and we are really lucky to have residential qualifications to live there. My OH and I both know in our hearts Jersey is where we want to be, we should just trust our hearts and do it.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough

Hmmm interesting point you made about cutting the apron strings.
Ive only pinged once uk-sydney-uk. Once I had my little boy I felt depserate to be surrounded by family.
I have been back in the uk now for 5 years. We struggled at first to settle and if i had followed my gut in the beginning I would have headed straight back to sydney after week two.
I am settled here but I cant help thinking what if?
On days when it is the middle of summer but feels more like winter and when all that seems important to people surrounding you is what you do, what catchment you are in, and wether you have a second car.....I wanna run
Sorry bit of a tangent rant there.

Sometimes I wonder if the desire to keep moving is more to do with adrenaline and pepping life up?
Somtimes the routine of life can feel a bit boring especially when there has been the excitement of packing up and starting again.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -Aims-
Well we pretty much had nothing when we arrived in Tas this time, it took us 2 years to get on our feet again, and now everything is cruisy its a easy life here now, but a bit boring really, we knew we made a mistake as soon as we arrived here but couldnt afford to go back right away so we stayed, had a baby bought a house made the most of the situation. Every time i move to the UK I get home sick, I come back to Australia and get bored. The only difference this time is when we came back I saw Aus in a totally different light, I realised I had been brainwashed growing up here to beleve Aus is the best country in the world, but coming back this time it seemed daggy and boring besides having nice beaches I cant see the attraction with Aus any more, and Jersey has nice beaches too, so we are thinking shall we just do one more move and maybe we will feel settled in Jersey now? I feel done with Australia (but I am so scared of making another mistake we cant afford to keep doing this) I know I dont want to live here forever, if we did stay we would always be having the conversation about what our life could have been in the Channel Islands...
What so exciting about living on the Channel islands?? Remember everywhere you go you have to make an effort, you have to make friends, get out and about etc. This may sound harsh but bored people are usually boring people.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
This may sound harsh but bored people are usually boring people.
It's not harsh - it's just crap.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:49 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We moved UK - Melbourne - UK - Brisbane

We have 2 kids one born in Vic and one in Qld we now have put down roots and are settled. What has changed? It costs too much and with kids you need to be settled and give them stability. I was back in the UK at Xmas for 10wks and I settled back in very well to the point I was torn. I have a good life here in Oz but with young kids its hard work having no family close to help out every now and again.

We wont be moving anytime soon I am over all the hassle that goes with it

Jo
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few interesting ping pong stories from Bangkok....
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Sarah_1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

I havent pinged or ponged yet..... but i can feel a tradition maybe starting! I moved to Perth alittle after my 21st birthday by myself (im 25 now) and my family are all back in the uk. I havent moved back to the UK for any amount of time just visits but i miss them terribly and i always wonder if i should go back....i want to but im terrified ill regret it as i have a great life and friends here. I also have depression and feel quite lonely alot of the time! I wish someone would tell me what to do!

Sorry to hijack this tread but can someone give me a few pointers too?? Im new and my friend told me this was a good place for advice??
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sarah_1985
I havent pinged or ponged yet..... but i can feel a tradition maybe starting! I moved to Perth alittle after my 21st birthday by myself (im 25 now) and my family are all back in the uk. I havent moved back to the UK for any amount of time just visits but i miss them terribly and i always wonder if i should go back....i want to but im terrified ill regret it as i have a great life and friends here. I also have depression and feel quite lonely alot of the time! I wish someone would tell me what to do!

Sorry to hijack this tread but can someone give me a few pointers too?? Im new and my friend told me this was a good place for advice??
Hi Sarah

In my opinion , I would say you need to happy inside , regardless of your location - this sounds easier than is said I know- but only in a state of peace will you know where is right for you to be .

My advice would also to maybe visit for a month or two and try to get a clearer picture of how you feel then , what is it making you feel lonely and down. If you are vulnerable to feeling low - is the UK the best place to be at the moment?.. I'm not a counsellor sorry but hope this helps .

BTW Have you tried meditation? I could reccomend a great centre in Perth if you wanted pm me.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I first went to live in Sydney Australia in 2002 as my partner was Australian and we both wanted to get married over there.

We settled in very quickly and I loved Australia but the problem was that when I went over to Australia in 2002 I was literally straight out of University. The time from when I completed my GCSE's, A Levels and then Degree just seemed like a blur, those 5 or 6 years just seemed to slip away. Even though I was British I felt as though I hadn't had the opportunity to live and work as an adult in my own country and experience what it was like in the real world in the UK.

So in 2005 we packed up and moved back to the UK and settled back in my home county of Yorkshire and started my UK career which has been successful enough.

Again we find ourselves at a new stage of our lives. We now have a 2 year old son and whilst making a good living is important and I still have more than half of my working life in front of me work is no longer my main priority.

We went back to Australia to visit my wife's family and friends back in mid 2008 and we went to some of the places my wife grew up and feel strongly that we would prefer our son to be brought up in Australia.

You can never say 100% certain that you will never move back to the UK again but I think this time we are as certain as we can possibly be that this will be the last time we move internationally.

The main worry for us was selling our house, we honestly thought we might be trapped for 4 or 5 years, but thankfully we complete the sale on Friday.

We are free and it feels great right now

Last edited by Jon77; Sep 1st 2010 at 1:19 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Well..Petals talks a lot of sense. Yes it is probably us and what we desire that changes.

Also ping pongers probably get to see the best of their countries and want to merge all that together into one perfect place. Impossible? Plus into the mix put finding The Place but loved ones living elsewhere.

When you think how it was the norm not that long ago to spend your whole life in one area. Not even country hopping but within just a few square miles. Growing up in South London all my family lived minutes from each other. And I include aunts, uncles,cousins,grandparents...Then as my older cousins married they moved away, then their parents followed them. We moved out to Kent, then when my grandparents died, the whole family was fratured and lost it's nucleus. I wouldn't even recognise some of my outer family now. Is it because we have the choice now that makes us want to continually look for something else?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine you being unsettled in Jersey after a while. Some people simply become so used to not having the deep roots of one place any more that it's hard to make them grow once and for all.

Never say never. Go back to Jersey but don't be surprised if in a few years you get itchy feet again.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Suffolk to Melbourne to Suffolk and back to Melbourne again!
cooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nice

Suffolk UK-Victoria Aus; Vic to Suffolk (brief stop in France); Suffolk to Vic; Vic to Suffolk and.............. OMG the fact I'm on here means we're seriously considering heading back to Vic next year. Been back in UK 17 months this time and have come to conclusion for what it's worth that it really isn't about where you are, it's about what you do while you're there. And never look at anything as forever, the grass is not greener, just different, good and bad. For us we are born wanderers and someone said on here at least you've had the experience, how true. I hate the upheaval of moving, the goodbyes (great hellos though!) but whilst the last four years ping ponging have had their very testing moments I sit here with new friends and life experiences and me and OH are still talking to one another!!!!!

I love the UK, our mad weather, pubs, sense of humour, M&S, our compassion for animals (some of us!), our quirkiness and eccentricity, we're a funny lot but we are great. My husband loves Aus but sees the good points about UK. We've really struggled the last few years and decisions to move have been for mainly health reasons for both of us and family, maybe the scare each of us has had has made us see things differently. I don't know where we'll settle but as long as I've got OH, my pets, my friends and my own little home somewhere, I'm a lucky person. It's easier for us in a way because we do not have children, that's a different ball game.

I don't think I've got a point just wanted to share, offload (thanks for listening) our experience might shed light on things for someone else.

Good luck to everyone, it isn't a fun place to be but I think now I've accepted it I'm happier and who wants to be 'normal' anyway!!!!

P.S. Did I see someone on here from East Anglia, we're near Saxmundham, Suffolk for now, love to meet up with a fellow ping ponger, because no one understands unless they've done it!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Hi

Wow you pinged a few times then! I suppose it's a bit easier without kids , our eldest is about to start secondary school so our pending move back to Perth will be it for a fair while

I'm an Ipswich boy and we're living in Brantham at the mo - yes you're right no-one understands us outcasts fo society - the general response I get at the mo is " ...oh you're moving back ...and how do the rest of the family feel about it? "

Contact us for coffee and a whinge !

Cheers

Dave
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by -Aims-
Hi Everyone, i was wonderind if any ping pong poms have managed to settle in either uk or oz and feel really happy where u are now and how did u stop the cycle?

Im new to BE but already a seasoned ping ponger
Guernsey, UK - Australia
Australia - Jersey,UK
Jersey - Aus
Aus - Jersey
Jersey - Aus
Aus... now feeling like i want to go back to uk permanently - but how do u truely settle somewhere?

Im married to a Brit and have a baby and just want to be happy somewhere!

I came from UK to Aus for 3 years, back to UK for 4 years, and now back in Aus for two months so far! I don't think I will ever settle in either place! but having a 4 yr old child I would like to hope that this time around I can settle in Aus despite the terrible homesickness! I really don't want to keep moving him around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.