Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Pill (contraceptives)

The Pill (contraceptives)

Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all
Default The Pill (contraceptives)

Hi i know this sounds really stupid but do you still go to a doctor to get the pill in Australia or do buy it over the counter ? Its just that my doctor is being a complete arse and will only give me one months supply to take :curse:
Why i dont know i have always had my blood pressure taken and then given a years supply :curse::curse:
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Pill (contraceptives)

Originally Posted by suzyt
Hi i know this sounds really stupid but do you still go to a doctor to get the pill in Australia or do buy it over the counter ? Its just that my doctor is being a complete arse and will only give me one months supply to take :curse:
Why i dont know i have always had my blood pressure taken and then given a years supply :curse::curse:
Go to a family planning clinic, and get a supply from there.

Here you will have to pay to see the doctor (unless you find one of the rare breed that bulk bills so its free) and then you will have to pay again for the pills.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I heard on the radio this morning how the standard Doc consulting fee will be going up, but as 80% of Australian's go to Doctor's who bulk bill, it won't affect too many people. Where on earth do people find these doctors!!? I think in the two years I've been here I've heard of one so far who bulk bills
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

at the risk of sounding stupid; what is 'bulk billing'?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyt
You wont be on your UK practice's list once you migrate to Oz, so you wouldn't be entitled to receive any medication through them. Your timeline/status suggests that you're leaving in six days' time.....hopefully you'll be able to drop in to a family planning clinic before you leave.

Good luck with everything.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulk_billing
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

brandyslad is an unknown quantity at this point

So the pill isn't free the same as in the UK then?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna start stashing mine to take with me if it isn't free! My doctor doesn't know his ar$e from his elbow, I can get a prescription for 6 months then pop back to months later and get another 6 months!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:51 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

No it's not free, barely anything is here unfortunately!!! I read somewhere that if you want to stock up then go to your doc, don't tell them you're emigrating but say you're going travelling for a year and they should hopefully give you a 12 month supply. Some might be a bit funny because you should get your bp checked routinely etc but you should be able to get at least 6 months out of them. Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
No it's not free, barely anything is here unfortunately!!! I read somewhere that if you want to stock up then go to your doc, don't tell them you're emigrating but say you're going travelling for a year and they should hopefully give you a 12 month supply. Some might be a bit funny because you should get your bp checked routinely etc but you should be able to get at least 6 months out of them. Good luck.
That sounds like the best plan. Lots of pharmacies here do days when they give free bp tests. If you do get a year's worth then I'd have the bp done every now and then. FPC is the best bet for large quantities.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I heard on the radio this morning how the standard Doc consulting fee will be going up, but as 80% of Australian's go to Doctor's who bulk bill, it won't affect too many people. Where on earth do people find these doctors!!? I think in the two years I've been here I've heard of one so far who bulk bills
Hi

our Doctors Bulk Bill, But there English is crap

Billy
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi

Billy
Priceless

Last edited by Tr1boy; Oct 22nd 2008 at 7:05 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi

Billy
Righto... and your spelling is?
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
A quick definition of Bulk Billing is where the Doctor charges the Government for your medical care, and you pay nothing.

You will find some locations where most doctors will Bulk Bill, and other areas where few doctors will bulk bill.

In the cheaper areas of Western Sydney, almost all doctors bulk billed, but in the more expensive areas of Sydney, very few doctors would consider it.

Due to recent legislation, we are now finding that more doctors are bulk billing for Children and Pensioners, due to financial incentives from the government for the Doctors to do this,

In essence when someone visits a Doctor, Medicare will pay 85% of the Medicare Schedule fee for services provided by the treating practitioner. Let's say that the "scheduled fee" is $38.00

If a Doctor fully bulk bills, they will not charge you, but they will get paid 85% of that $38 scheduled fee direct from the Medicare.
more...

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Where on earth do people find these doctors!!? I think in the two years I've been here I've heard of one so far who bulk bills
Where exactly are you ?

I've been here since 2002, and only ever paid once, and that was my first doctors visit in QLD, before I found the Bulk Billers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.