Pilbara Odyssey

Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pilbara Odyssey

The boy and I are off on a daddy/son camping trip on Saturday.

We're heading up in our 4x4 to the Kennedy Ranges, Mount Augustus (the biggest rock in the world - twice the size of Uluru)

and Karijini NP.

Got the tent, the mattress, the shovel, all the gear including 1st aid kit with compression bandages for snakebite, GPS, maps, I pick up the rental Satphone on Friday (so mum can wish the boy goodnight.) I bet I've forgotten something...

Anyone else doing anything good on the school holidays?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pilbara Odyssey

Originally Posted by renth

We're heading up in our 4x4 to the Kennedy Ranges, Mount Augustus (the biggest rock in the world - twice the size of Uluru)

http://www.australiasgoldenoutback.c...ildflowers.jpg

and Karijini NP.

Got the tent, the mattress, the shovel, all the gear including 1st aid kit with compression bandages for snakebite, GPS, maps, I pick up the rental Satphone on Friday (so mum can wish the boy goodnight.) I bet I've forgotten something...

Having been completely and utterly inspired by your UK report, I'm off back to Blighty for a couple of weeks.

Let us know how your trip goes - I've been up to Exmouth and the Ningaloo but really fancy going inland a bit (I gather that now is one of the last times you can really do it until April because of the heat). Don't really feel that I'm experienced enough in outback extremes yet though so probably need a taster session in Balga or equiv. first.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:11 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

We're going bush too - Whiteman Park

Seriously, we're going camping to Guilderton - I know it's not that far from Perth, but it's a start! And I've already told OH, I don't do rain, so if it rains, we're not too far to drive home
We're also going to Bunbury for 4 days, but staying in the comfort of a Motel
Have a great trip and don't forget to show us the pics.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
We're going bush too - Whiteman Park

Seriously, we're going camping to Guilderton - I know it's not that far from Perth, but it's a start! And I've already told OH, I don't do rain, so if it rains, we're not too far to drive home
We're also going to Bunbury for 4 days, but staying in the comfort of a Motel
Have a great trip and don't forget to show us the pics.
Last time I was at Whiteman Park it was on fire, big time!

Guilderton's nice, I expect we'll be there later in the year with the Mrs and twin girls for a less "full on" camping experience (i.e. crapping in a toilet, not a hole in the ground). Enjoy!

I'm going to take loads of pictures and I'll post a few here.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing exciting, decorating with the odd day out here and there.

Enjoy the trip oop norf Looking forward to the pics.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

and Karijini NP.

Sounds great Renth, enjoy. Australia really is father/son territory.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great trip.
Looking forward to your update, as we are thinking of going out to Kennedy Ranges and Mt Augustus.

What sort of price is hiring a satelite phone? And who from?

Ive noticed here, we have good Telstra mobile phone reception in town, but quickly lose it if near Red Bluff, coral bay etc.

GEMS
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Signed the kids up for surf school, so they're going surfing every morning. I'll be sitting on the beach watching. We're going to go to the Perth show one day after surfing. Other than that, maybe paint the hallway by the kids' bedrooms and maybe our bedroom. Oh, and my husband is installing a security system and infared cameras.

Somehow not as exciting as a camping trip to the interior.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:15 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Gems
Have a great trip.
Looking forward to your update, as we are thinking of going out to Kennedy Ranges and Mt Augustus.

What sort of price is hiring a satelite phone? And who from?

Ive noticed here, we have good Telstra mobile phone reception in town, but quickly lose it if near Red Bluff, coral bay etc.

GEMS
I'm hiring it from this mob: http://fastwave.com.au/

it will work out at about $17 a day.

It's really a piece of mind thing, being able to call the RFDS or whoever in case of emergency and away from CDMA coverage.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:22 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

and Karijini NP.

Cool! I reckon you will love the scenery up there. I only spent two hours in the park on a site trip but there is some cracking scenery:

http://3downunder.spaces.live.com/ph...C0B4E44DF!723/

Personally, I can't afford much time off as I have only just gone onto staff. But it should be another heavy night in the city on Friday with a works sundowner (so forget Saturday!). We are taking the boat down to Mandurah on Sunday with the club and having a barbie on Monday. The next weekend we are having 4 days camping in Guilderton with the 6 other families, the kayak, and an eski full of beer.

Then I have to find a way of getting into work for 4 days without the train and 20,000 other poor buggers also parked on the Mitchell followed by Spring in the Valley the weekend after. God I love summer here!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:32 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by worzel
Cool! I reckon you will love the scenery up there. I only spent two hours in the park on a site trip but there is some cracking scenery:

http://3downunder.spaces.live.com/ph...C0B4E44DF!723/

Personally, I can't afford much time off as I have only just gone onto staff. But it should be another heavy night in the city on Friday with a works sundowner (so forget Saturday!). We are taking the boat down to Mandurah on Sunday with the club and having a barbie on Monday. The next weekend we are having 4 days camping in Guilderton with the 6 other families, the kayak, and an eski full of beer.

Then I have to find a way of getting into work for 4 days without the train and 20,000 other poor buggers also parked on the Mitchell followed by Spring in the Valley the weekend after. God I love summer here!
Sounds great and the weather is going to turn nice again in a couple of days.

The train line thing is going to be a nightmare though.

Nice pictures BTW.

PS I'm sure I've seen you at the ORSSC - I'll come over and introduce myself next time.