Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phone Interview Advice please

Phone Interview Advice please

Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Phone Interview Advice please

I have just got myself a phone interview for next Wednesday

But I am really unsure of how to approach it I had one about six months back and it was terrible long pauses then both speaking at the same time, so it didn't go much futher. So I want to get it right this time can anyone give some tips please.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone Interview Advice please

Originally Posted by edie209
I have just got myself a phone interview for next Wednesday

But I am really unsure of how to approach it I had one about six months back and it was terrible long pauses then both speaking at the same time, so it didn't go much futher. So I want to get it right this time can anyone give some tips please.
Are you talking job interview or visa application?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Doh!!!!

Sorry yes I should explain myself, I have a job interview....... sorry
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:50 am
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

Hi Edie - not much advice from me but just want to say good luck.
Sometimes when I've phoned Oz you get a slight delay whilst speaking and you get pauses - other times I've phoned and no delay hope you get a good line lol
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Doh!!!!

Sorry yes I should explain myself, I have a job interview....... sorry
No probs! I'll move you into the mai Aus forum as there's a fair few people in there who've had experience of them
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

I have done this both ways and also with video interviews.....secured my Oz job from the UK and secured my new UK job from Oz.....

So.............what line of work are we talking here ?

I can give better advice if the work is anything I know about but in general:
  • just be yourself
  • talk a bit more slowly
  • try and also have a pen and paper to hand to jot things down as the other person speaks
  • do your homework on the job....
  • have some good questions to ask
  • in 1st interview...don't ask about conditions....but be very enthusiastic about the role being discussed
  • have good answers on why you are going to Oz......needs to be more than about lifestyle or sunshine
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

I had one this week, no delay at all and it was a conference type call. Use landlines not a mobile (might make a difference).

Once you finish talking......stop. People are scared of awkward pauses and start to waffle. Once you have answered a question, say something like. I hope thats answered your question and then take a breath......and wait.

Wait until they finish too even if it means a couple of seconds of silence on your part.

Cx
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the replies

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
So.............what line of work are we talking here ?
I'm the IT sector, this position is for a Mobile Network Engineer working on multiple site
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

OK that helps me.

Mobile network engineer = pretty techy stuff, SO if I were in your shoes brush up on all you know in terms of how up to date the stuff is you work on and ask about what goes on down under.

The network engineers that came to my place were not that good - you might be streets ahead which could lead to boredom if they don't place you in a position to match your skills.

Good luck with it........good advice above to pause by the way.

thanks for the replies

I'm the IT sector, this position is for a Mobile Network Engineer working on multiple site
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone the interview went really well and they want to dicuss more with me next week
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone the interview went really well and they want to dicuss more with me next week
Hey that's great news Well done!

Timely thread for me as I have one tonight
I had one a few months ago that didn't get started until midnight, terrible time delay & just awful. Hope tonight goes better
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

I must say the quality was great it was like speaking to someone in the same town no delay at all.

Anyway good luck although I'm sure you don't need it