Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looks Like we are joining you!

Looks Like we are joining you!

Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about
Default Looks Like we are joining you!

Hello again folks,

I have posted on this forum a bit last year.

At the time we were going through the process of trying to gain entry by means of emigration. We had dismissed the 457 route and were gutted when our agent told us we didn't meet the criteria, familiar tale I'm sure.

However over the last few months we have started looking at suitable employers who are willing to provide sponsorship. After several applications a company in Melbourne has been in touch and made a verbal offer

We are waiting for something in writing and then we can really get the show on the road. It would be good to hear which areas that would provide access to Geelong are good for young children. My work will be in Geelong but we fancy the idea of living within or close to Melbourne at this stage.

In terms of wages I have been offered $68000AUD + OT is this a decent figure for the area? Seems OK to me.

Any input or help will be well received.

All the best

Mike
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks Like we are joining you!

Congrats Mike. We applied on a 175 in March 2008 but have heard nothing yet (boo). Anyway, we will be heading to Melbourne as and when, but can't help as we'll be going to Mornington (across the penninsular, so we can wave at you). Am sure others will be along to help you soon but if not, have you tried Britvics.org (website for British expats in Victoria)? We've found them to be a fantastic source of information; if there's anything you need to know, someone will be able to help you, I'm sure. There also very friendly and have meetups. Good luck with all your plans.
Lorraine
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:28 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

The road between Geelong and Melbourne is long and boring, but Geelong is great and has everything you would need. I would avoid the commute if I were you. Geelong is also cheaper to rent homes.

Highton is a lovely area, as is Waurn Ponds. Grovedale and Belmont are also nice. With the new ring road you will be able to drive pretty much from there to Melbourne missing out driving through Geelong so if you want to get to Melb it will not take too long.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies.

I will check out the link and see what information I can dig up.

Is the commute too much to consider traveling from Melbourne to Geelong?

Cheers Mike
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the search facility to look up Geelong? I was looking at this area myself fairly recently & there were quite a few threads, so worth a look.
Good luck with the whole process.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:08 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers Mike
The commute is possible, heaps of people live in Geelong and work in Melbourne. But the road is straight, slow and boring, if you can avoid it then do.

What are your reasons for wanting to live in Melbourne if the job is in Geelong?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers Mike
Its easily commutable (from Western Suburbs or anywhere with good access to Westgate Freeway).....just as others have said, a pretty featurless drive through parched, brown, flat land. It was the very first thing I saw on my first visit to Australia....I wanted to get back on the plane!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi try wwwmoving-to-melbourne.com they have suburb info ect gary
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Yeah, it wont be long until Geelong becomes an outer suburb of Melbourne, you can always get the train as well.
Yeah its funny how dry, barren and dusty the west side of melbourne gets from Spring through to autum, where as the easatern side stays relativly greener. I rememebr when we had that day earlier this year when there was a wind storm and there was dust storms over the western side of Melbourne, never seen that before here! it was crazy.
And yeah 68000 is a decent wage. You should have your super on top as weel?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mika24me
The commute is possible, heaps of people live in Geelong and work in Melbourne. But the road is straight, slow and boring, if you can avoid it then do.

What are your reasons for wanting to live in Melbourne if the job is in Geelong?
Yeah the job is in Geelong however I like the idea of the city lifestyle being accessible to us.

I have had a look on the search facility at threads regarding Geelong and must say it seems a 50/50 split in terms of what people think of the place.

I will try the other link posted on the Melbourne burbs should be interesting.

Thanks again for all the input.

Mike