Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phone / internet / Foxtel in Perth

Phone / internet / Foxtel in Perth

Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:37 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone / internet / Foxtel in Perth

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Foxtel is owned by Telstra, so ring Telstra and tell them you want to package it all. Beware, though some areas don't get the air channels (7 9 10) with Foxtel and you'll also need an antenna.
You cant get any commercial channels on Foxtel. 7 is due to come on line in 2009 but I suspect it could be an east coast feed.

Another option is Westnet but I believe these are owned by iiNet now.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
You cant get any commercial channels on Foxtel. 7 is due to come on line in 2009 but I suspect it could be an east coast feed.

Another option is Westnet but I believe these are owned by iiNet now.
Only if you have a dish. Cable Foxtel has 7, 9 and 10.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:56 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Good point.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think the OP lives up near me, and we don't have cable Foxtel available. Only dish.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I think the OP lives up near me, and we don't have cable Foxtel available. Only dish.
Okey dokey D
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Mindarie.

There is the world's biggest dish in the back garden !!

It is on a 10ft pole and must be about 7-8ft across. It can probably pick up Radio Saturn !

iinet are connecting the line on Tues and then I call them re: the b/band.
In the meantime, if anyone has wireless internet please let me have your address so I can park outside your house later in the week !
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

If you have pay TV (e.g. Foxtel) you can still purchase Naked DSL, but you should know that the services pay TV requires a landline phone service for (e.g. purchasing box office movies and voting) will no longer work. Most pay TV providers have a 1300 number you can call if you still wish to use these services once connected to Naked DSL.
I got the above para from the iiNet website. Does this mean that when we subscribe to iiNet, we will still need to get a phone line from Foxtel so as to get cable tv?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
I got the above para from the iiNet website. Does this mean that when we subscribe to iiNet, we will still need to get a phone line from Foxtel so as to get cable tv?

I believe so. The lady at iinet was really pushing naked dsl but when I mentioned maybe getting Foxtel at a later date she said that I'd then have to get a landline connected. So I've gone with the landline and b/band option so that I can have Foxtel in the future.

( this is my take on it - worth double checking, though )
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by elmtree
I believe so. The lady at iinet was really pushing naked dsl but when I mentioned maybe getting Foxtel at a later date she said that I'd then have to get a landline connected. So I've gone with the landline and b/band option so that I can have Foxtel in the future.
That was what I was thinking too. Better to keep the landline open so that we're not limited. Thanks for sharing! I'm headed out in Feb and am trying to figure everything out now.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

Check the small print on Foxtel. I am 99% sure you do not HAVE to have a phone line. They will push and push for you to have one but I dont think its a requirement. It does mena though if and when you want box office etc you will have to call up.
Dont let them bully you into phoen if you dont want it.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

I looked online for a place to email them but I need to give them an Australian phone number. Meanwhile, if anyone else can confirm if you need a phone line for Foxtel, please chime in!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
I looked online for a place to email them but I need to give them an Australian phone number. Meanwhile, if anyone else can confirm if you need a phone line for Foxtel, please chime in!
http://www.foxtel.com.au/landing/12mths/2.htm

Reading small print at bottom its ambiguous. Says you need it for Box Office and Adult Services (whatever they are) so say you dont want those and away you go I'd have thought.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=51995

I guess we can only go by what others say, since Foxtel is not truthful about needing the phone line.