Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phone / internet / Foxtel in Perth

Phone / internet / Foxtel in Perth

Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone / internet / Foxtel in Perth

Hi all,

We are about to move into a new rental in northern Perth and there is a phone line and there are the blue internet cables and there is a satellite dish that is like Jodrell Bank on a 10ft pole in the back garden !! There is a Foxtel point in the lounge.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on getting a package and wondered whether to ring Telstra or Foxtel ? Do they both offer all three services ? And will I have to sign a long contract ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone / internet / Foxtel in Perth

Originally Posted by elmtree
Hi all,

We are about to move into a new rental in northern Perth and there is a phone line and there are the blue internet cables and there is a satellite dish that is like Jodrell Bank on a 10ft pole in the back garden !! There is a Foxtel point in the lounge.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on getting a package and wondered whether to ring Telstra or Foxtel ? Do they both offer all three services ? And will I have to sign a long contract ?

Thanks in advance.
Foxtel is owned by Telstra, so ring Telstra and tell them you want to package it all. Beware, though some areas don't get the air channels (7 9 10) with Foxtel and you'll also need an antenna.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Foxtel is owned by Telstra, so ring Telstra and tell them you want to package it all. Beware, though some areas don't get the air channels (7 9 10) with Foxtel and you'll also need an antenna.

Thanks Dorothy.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:45 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Personally I'd avoid Hellstra like the plague...

Use iiNet for phone/broadband, good service, good rates, and you can watch all the EPL games for free if that flavour of footie is your thing...

Do a separate deal with Foxtel...

Just my 2c...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Personally I'd avoid Hellstra like the plague...

Use iiNet for phone/broadband, good service, good rates, and you can watch all the EPL games for free if that flavour of footie is your thing...

Do a separate deal with Foxtel...

Just my 2c...
iinet are great for phone/internet. Our broadband ADSL2+ is as fast as. We pay about $70 for 80Gb of bandwidth. They also do their Naked DSL nowe where you do away with your landline - thereby saving the monthly fee and get cheaper calls via VOIP.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
iinet are great for phone/internet. Our broadband ADSL2+ is as fast as. We pay about $70 for 80Gb of bandwidth. They also do their Naked DSL nowe where you do away with your landline - thereby saving the monthly fee and get cheaper calls via VOIP.

Thanks guys.

Yes, I've heard a few Telstra horror stories.

I'll call iinet, then

Cheers.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:46 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

iinet.net.au by far the best option for internet and phone.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:01 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers

Ditto
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers

CHRIST ALMIGHTY !!!!!

21 days to get connected with iinet !!! WTF ???

Don't want to go with Telstra now, but 21 days !!!! :curse:
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

STEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud of

:blink
Its the same waiting time with telstra,they are so bloody slow.lol
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

CHRIST ALMIGHTY !!!!!

the do give you a dial up account until you are sorted out and it isn't bad
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:14 am
Just Joined

TheRed will become famous soon enough

CHRIST ALMIGHTY !!!!!

I was going to go with iinet based on multiple recommendation by mates at work I could not get an ADSL2+ port in my region and theguy told me you have to keep ringing up to see if one was available (think they are like rocking horse $hit, so chance is limited). Check that out first. I eventually settled on Optus as they didn't want to charge me for everything including connection, modem, etc. It all seems so expensive out here for something we took for granted back home. Also beware of the Perth it will take 10 days because it never does!!!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheRed
I was going to go with iinet based on multiple recommendation by mates at work I could not get an ADSL2+ port in my region and theguy told me you have to keep ringing up to see if one was available (think they are like rocking horse $hit, so chance is limited). Check that out first. I eventually settled on Optus as they didn't want to charge me for everything including connection, modem, etc. It all seems so expensive out here for something we took for granted back home. Also beware of the Perth it will take 10 days because it never does!!!!

Gone with iinet on the non-naked dsl with landline.

Tuesday for the line to be conn'd and "about 7 days" for the b/band. Fingers crossed.

What did we do in the days before the internet was so very, very essential ????

Thanks for all your input, everyone

Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

They told us the same but when I talked to one of the customer service guys and told him our Telstra horror story he took pity on me and we had our internet up and running in about 3 days. We only have a Telstra landline because we didn't know better when we moved here and our mobiles are with them because they were the only ones who would give us a plan without Aussie ID
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:13 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

We couldn't get the naked adsl in our area ! so gone with the cable , just been wired up, been a hugh pain in the backside to get it . but seams ok now and tv picky spot on .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.