Reload this Page >

Phew What A Scorcher!

Phew What A Scorcher!

Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Phew What A Scorcher!

Originally Posted by Multicoloured Crocodile
35 degrees today and will be 35 + for the next 4 days in a row!
Sorry to rub it in for you lot stuck in the Uk but can't resist it...
Looking forward to our summer!
Seriously, there is such a thing as too hot ! Not looking forward to the real hot weather in next couple of months.
Simon
Scorchio it is! I live and work in the Flinders Ranges (SA). Yesterday was 39 with a hot wind blowing all day. Felt like standing in front of a pizza oven. The hot weather in these parts this year has arrived quite suddenly. I am not whinging at all but you adapt to covering up and finding any available shade. Have to wear a fly net on my hat as can't stand them going in my ears, nose, eyes and mouth. I believe it is going to be 41 today but I think anything between 35 and 45 there's little difference. When it gets over that your blood begins to feel like it's boiling. Funny thing though you sort of get used to it and now I really feel the cold. I used to think my Aussie mates were wooses when it was say 15 degrees and they would say - it's friggin freezing I need to rug up - but now I feel the same. My house has no air con and just a couple of celing fans but if you keep the blinds closed all the time it is not too bad. Also keep cooking to a minimum as that really heats the place up. However I would love to wake up to a cold, clear, crisp and frosty morning. Nearest surf a four hour drive.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 6:25 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by grubelice
Scorchio it is! I live and work in the Flinders Ranges (SA). Yesterday was 39 with a hot wind blowing all day. Felt like standing in front of a pizza oven. The hot weather in these parts this year has arrived quite suddenly. I am not whinging at all but you adapt to covering up and finding any available shade. Have to wear a fly net on my hat as can't stand them going in my ears, nose, eyes and mouth. I believe it is going to be 41 today but I think anything between 35 and 45 there's little difference. When it gets over that your blood begins to feel like it's boiling. Funny thing though you sort of get used to it and now I really feel the cold. I used to think my Aussie mates were wooses when it was say 15 degrees and they would say - it's friggin freezing I need to rug up - but now I feel the same. My house has no air con and just a couple of celing fans but if you keep the blinds closed all the time it is not too bad. Also keep cooking to a minimum as that really heats the place up. However I would love to wake up to a cold, clear, crisp and frosty morning. Nearest surf a four hour drive.
Nice time of year to sleep outdoors - a small marque tent with fly screen.
Attached Thumbnails Phew What A Scorcher!-mintemp.gif  
Old Dec 16th 2004, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Glut of peaches? Try making peach brandy:

You need a bottle of cheap & nasty brandy (it works fine with even quite scummy brands) and a large screw top or sealable jar (eg a Kilner jar).

Slice peaches in quarters or eighths, add half a crushed cinnamon stick, put in jar with brandy. Seal and store somewhere dark & cool (not a fridge though) for as long as you can resist drinking it (at least 3 months & 6 is better)! Turn it upside down & back again every so often to distribute the flavor.

Once it's ready, you have fab flavored brandy - & a bonus of some very boozy peach slices (serve with whipped cream and Amaretto biscuits).

It also works well with cherries, and one lot we made with raspberries was good, too. However we usually make the raspberry variant with gin rather then brandy.

Enjoy!

Anya.
Hi Anya
Spent some time this afternoon picking peaches and peeling, trying to quarter them etc to make our peach brandy...smells amazing!!
Our son also found it very funny to watch this as the lorikeets kept trying to eat the peaches in our tree...he kept saying 'birdie, birdie, ball , ball' and had great fun too!
Hope it tastes as good as it smells and that the smell of peaches finally wears off our hands!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again
Susan
Old Dec 16th 2004, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Phew what a scorcher?

Todays 'Cairns Post' tells us we had 90% humidity last week, so although it was only 32 degrees, the humidity made it quite uncomfortable at times...but we're still here!! Didn't drop dead, didn't keel over from heatstroke....must admit though...the bugs are now out and about with a vengence!!!!!