Reload this Page >

Building on a rural block

Building on a rural block

Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

rlhume is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Building on a rural block

This is for anyone considering building on a rural block so
you avoid possibly walking away from your piece of paradise.

We wanted to live in "the bush" and our plan was to build
from scratch. We used a number of real estate agents who
showed us some quite stunning blocks which we'd have
snapped up however, the draw back was always the lack
power to the block since it would cost $000s to get
connected. We eventually bought a 25 acre block with
a smallish house on it which had mains power connected.
Our block is basically 15 acres cleared and 10
uncleared, as I said the house is small so an extension
was needed, we thought about how then decided rather than
extend we'd build a self contained guest cottage in the
uncleared part of the block so, off to the builders ...........
This is when we discovered that we could have had
any block we had seen regardless of mains power being
available why?, because we could have installed solar
power. Once I realised how available it is I researched
it and even visited folks who have it installed. It's
so simple you don't even have to be a mathematician
to work out what size system you'll need As far as
installation costs are concerned it worked out about
the same as getting mains power even if you had a power
pole at the end of your land and, the best thing is that
most state governments will actually refund you about
a 1/3rd of the installation costs plus, you never have
a power bill again, it's a win win situation.

I wished we'd had known how easy solar power was
when we first started looking for land as we'd never
have dismissed many of the beautiful blocks we saw.
I can only surmise that the real agents didn't know
about it as I'm sure they'd have wanted to sell
me something

Bob
Old Dec 11th 2004, 3:07 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building on a rural block

Originally Posted by rlhume
This is for anyone considering building on a rural block so
you avoid possibly walking away from your piece of paradise.

We wanted to live in "the bush" and our plan was to build
from scratch. We used a number of real estate agents who
showed us some quite stunning blocks which we'd have
snapped up however, the draw back was always the lack
power to the block since it would cost $000s to get
connected. We eventually bought a 25 acre block with
a smallish house on it which had mains power connected.
Our block is basically 15 acres cleared and 10
uncleared, as I said the house is small so an extension
was needed, we thought about how then decided rather than
extend we'd build a self contained guest cottage in the
uncleared part of the block so, off to the builders ...........
This is when we discovered that we could have had
any block we had seen regardless of mains power being
available why?, because we could have installed solar
power. Once I realised how available it is I researched
it and even visited folks who have it installed. It's
so simple you don't even have to be a mathematician
to work out what size system you'll need As far as
installation costs are concerned it worked out about
the same as getting mains power even if you had a power
pole at the end of your land and, the best thing is that
most state governments will actually refund you about
a 1/3rd of the installation costs plus, you never have
a power bill again, it's a win win situation.

I wished we'd had known how easy solar power was
when we first started looking for land as we'd never
have dismissed many of the beautiful blocks we saw.
I can only surmise that the real agents didn't know
about it as I'm sure they'd have wanted to sell
me something

Bob
Thanks for the advice Bob. When we move to Brisbane next year, we will rent 1st but def want to buy rural land - not anywhere near 15 acres though - maybe just 2-3 acres at most. Solar power sounds good, especially as you won't get any bills for it! I think mains water is also important unless you want to be rationing your water out of tanks. Where are you living now?

I still want to be no more than an hours drive to Brisbane city.

Lynn
Old Dec 11th 2004, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

rlhume is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Thanks for the advice Bob. When we move to Brisbane next year, we will rent 1st but def want to buy rural land - not anywhere near 15 acres though - maybe just 2-3 acres at most. Solar power sounds good, especially as you won't get any bills for it! I think mains water is also important unless you want to be rationing your water out of tanks. Where are you living now?

I still want to be no more than an hours drive to Brisbane city.

Lynn
Hi Lynn,

We're about 700 kms north of brisbane our nearest "big" town is
Rockhampton about 100kms away.

I hear what you say about town water, we have 2 x 5000 gallon tanks
and even with being very water wise we've had to buy in 3 lots of fresh
water this year, after saying that it has been a VERY dry year,
fortunately we've had a good bit of rain this week.

Bob
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:41 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

we could have installed solar power.
G'day Bob.

My misses took that route at her property about 4 years ago. It was cheaper to buy solar than to get the power brought in some 400 metres.

When we build on our new property we'll probably have a cheap solar backup power supply for lighting and a socket or two, but for our power needs we felt we wouldn't get enough of a kick out of a solar system alone so we opted to pay $20k to bring mains to the site. We're building a large house and solar wouldn't be able to keep up with aircon or welding equipment for the farm etc.

My wife's solar system cost $40k, half of which was rebated by the government. Systems are now cheaper and more efficient. Hers still needs to be "topped up" weekly by a diesel generator during winter.

Depending on what's now available, we might get a solar backup that can also sell power back into the grid
Old Dec 11th 2004, 7:48 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

I hear what you say about town water, we have 2 x 5000 gallon tanks
and even with being very water wise we've had to buy in 3 lots of fresh
water this year, after saying that it has been a VERY dry year,
fortunately we've had a good bit of rain this week.
Do you have access to river/dam/bore water on your property ?. If so, look into using that water to flush your toilets. You could be amazed by how much valuable rainwater you flush down the loo.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:05 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that you could generate enough electricity from solar to anything like run a house, pool etc. From memory every sq. m on the planet gets on average 1.5KW from the sun, but IIRC the efficiency of direct solar>electricity conversion is pretty low. Surely an enormous pv area would be needed, with the consequent installation and maintenance costs?

I'd be happy to be shown current figures, since we've almost given up on finding a half-decent house around Sydney and might be re-emigrating to the bush!
Old Dec 11th 2004, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I'm surprised that you could generate enough electricity from solar to anything like run a house, pool etc. From memory every sq. m on the planet gets on average 1.5KW from the sun, but IIRC the efficiency of direct solar>electricity conversion is pretty low. Surely an enormous pv area would be needed, with the consequent installation and maintenance costs?

I'd be happy to be shown current figures, since we've almost given up on finding a half-decent house around Sydney and might be re-emigrating to the bush!
The vast majority of your electricity needs comes from heating water and operating things like washing machines and dishwashers.

To get the hot water for all of these things, I would consider passive solar heating, which cuts out the need for the 'middle-man' of photo-voltaic cells, as it's direct conversion of solar energy to heat.

The efficiency of both systems has advanced apace in recent years, so watch this space for news on new innovations and improvements.....

But then of course you can just be more energy conscious and use less energy to start with!
Old Dec 12th 2004, 3:24 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Clothes you boil in a wood fired copper - helps remove the axle grease.

Hot water for showers in a (wood) chip heater or a coil behind the fire bricks in the slow combustion stove if you are flush.

Get a valve radio - turn it around and open the back - you can read by the light of the filaments while listen.

Old Dec 12th 2004, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I think you are being very optomistic thinking you can exist without mains power. I agree water heating is the biggest power consumer and solar hot water is a viable proposition in Queensland which solves that problem. But the ammount of solar panels and batteries you would require for just lighting and a few electrical goods would be exorbitant. You would also have to use a gas fridge and gas cooking.

Also forget a/c, hair dyers, washing m/c's, TV, etc as they would drain too much power.

Their has been quite a few programs about this subject this last year as now all electricty bills contain an ambulance levy and some people refused to pay the levy and so they were in default of their power bill and a small hard line minority had their power cut off. The programs showed how they were coping without mains power, and none were doing very well (most had bought generators to provide some power).

So it is possible but your looking at a very basic existance.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:00 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I think you are being very optomistic thinking you can exist without mains power. I agree water heating is the biggest power consumer and solar hot water is a viable proposition in Queensland which solves that problem. But the ammount of solar panels and batteries you would require for just lighting and a few electrical goods would be exorbitant. You would also have to use a gas fridge and gas cooking.

Also forget a/c, hair dyers, washing m/c's, TV, etc as they would drain too much power.

Their has been quite a few programs about this subject this last year as now all electricty bills contain an ambulance levy and some people refused to pay the levy and so they were in default of their power bill and a small hard line minority had their power cut off. The programs showed how they were coping without mains power, and none were doing very well (most had bought generators to provide some power).

So it is possible but your looking at a very basic existance.
Yup don't think entire solar power would be for me, as I will definately need A/C, Use my hairdryer every day etc. etc. I think I will take power lines into consideration when I am looking at plots of land (and mains water!)

I like my home comforts me - although would also like to do my bit for the environment.

Lynn
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:09 am
Can't re member

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
But the ammount of solar panels and batteries you would require for just lighting and a few electrical goods would be exorbitant. You would also have to use a gas fridge and gas cooking. Also forget a/c, hair dyers, washing m/c's, TV, etc as they would drain too much power.
My wife lived 3 years using solar in the Adelaide Hills. The fridge worked fine. Washing machine and TV too. The tumble drier had to be put into storage. Water was heated with a gas cylinder system. She had no aircon - hot days were spent at the mall !

The solar panels sat on the roof facing north. They'd easily fit on most house roofs. The batteries occupied the space of a typical british garden shed. I was told that they were fork-lift type batteries. Technology has improved a lot in 4 years.

Living with solar is not primitive, you just have to research in advance and do the sums to figure out what appliances you can run. You can also suplement your solar with a wind turbine if your topography allows.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Yup don't think entire solar power would be for me, as I will definately need A/C, Use my hairdryer every day etc. etc. I think I will take power lines into consideration when I am looking at plots of land (and mains water!)

I like my home comforts me - although would also like to do my bit for the environment.

Lynn

There are houses in oz that are totally solar powered. By building your house properly, using proper insulation, natural protection etc. you can make your home almost 100% eco friendly. This is the option I'm looking at, even though my other half thinks I'm a bit weird and has promised me he'd NEVER live in a straw bale house, let alone build one with me.

Have a look at these sites for more info.

http://www.ecologicalhomes.com.au/econewsOct02.htm

http://www.earthgarden.com.au/links.html
Old Dec 12th 2004, 9:17 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Forgot to add:

Get up earlyish, say around 5 if you like a lie-in, and chase the cow around the house paddock for a small bucket of milk.

After milking, stoke up the kitchen stove and put the porridge on. Separate the milk and feed the pig with the skim. Enjoy the porridge for a full 5 minutes. When you've churned the cream into butter, the hot water should be ready for a 1 minute shower of lovely rainwater.

6 am and you're ready for a hearty day's work.

Who really needs reality TV anyway - waste of battery power.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 12:03 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
There are houses in oz that are totally solar powered. By building your house properly, using proper insulation, natural protection etc. you can make your home almost 100% eco friendly. This is the option I'm looking at, even though my other half thinks I'm a bit weird and has promised me he'd NEVER live in a straw bale house, let alone build one with me.

Have a look at these sites for more info.

http://www.ecologicalhomes.com.au/econewsOct02.htm

http://www.earthgarden.com.au/links.html
Quite a few houses up here are solar powered and they have all the modern appliances a normal house has. We've just tiled a couple of them, the builder reckons approximate costs of the installations are 24k half of which is reimbursed by a govt. grant

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/renewab.../raps-cs2.html

http://www.qld.gov.au/grants/ssq/fil...nd%20Resources

Straw bale homes by huff n puff and they say Aussies have no sense of humour
http://strawbale.archinet.com.au/Index.htm
Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:19 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

There are two considerations here: Your own personal expenditure - INCLUDING MAINTENANCE COSTS LONG TERM - and the total costs (with the same proviso).

I am not convinced that individual power generation makes economic sense overall.

Self-evidently, water heating for pools etc will be economic, but as for a home as a whole, weeelllll.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.