Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phew What A Scorcher!

Phew What A Scorcher!

Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:18 am
Go Power!!!!!

Multicoloured Crocodile is on a distinguished road
Default Phew What A Scorcher!

35 degrees today and will be 35 + for the next 4 days in a row!
Sorry to rub it in for you lot stuck in the Uk but can't resist it...
Looking forward to our summer!
Seriously, there is such a thing as too hot ! Not looking forward to the real hot weather in next couple of months.
Simon
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Phew What A Scorcher!

i'm in Adelaide too.. my temp gauge read 38 at 4pm...

an average summers day
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:44 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Multicoloured Crocodile
35 degrees today and will be 35 + for the next 4 days in a row!
Sorry to rub it in for you lot stuck in the Uk but can't resist it...
Looking forward to our summer!
Seriously, there is such a thing as too hot ! Not looking forward to the real hot weather in next couple of months.
Simon

Sounds like heaven to me

Here its dark, raining and bloody cold and by the ways its 10.40am

Please save some sunshine for me
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by podgypossum
i'm in Adelaide too.. my temp gauge read 38 at 4pm...

an average summers day
Hi Nikki
Can't believe how hot it is here at the moment!!! In the UK these temps sound great but once you are here and pushing a heavy pram up the hill home (well I moan about this but to be honest with you Rod pushes the pram up the hill...I push it TO the hill!!!) it's not fun!!! The only good side for us is that our peaches are starting to ripen beautifully...also have mandarins growing (apparently) and another anonymous tree with fruits that we can't identify and our landlord can't remember(!!!!???!!!) Will have to have a peach party! Rod's other idea is to make peach wine, he is currently attempting to make beer and getting very stressed about the fact that his air lock isn't bubbling!!! By the way, if the wine does work I'll invite you all for a peach wine party!!! Any tips on wine making would be appreciated - tried it in the UK once - it was awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alcoholic, cheap and awful!
Hope to come along and meet up with you all again - were all set for doing that this week but breakfast time and babies who are stilll jet lagged don't agree!!! Seriously though, hope to see you all again soon
Susan
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:22 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

Brissy was pretty chilled today, think it touched 26c although the weekend is supposed to be a tad warmer, so much for the sunshine state!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 12:39 pm
Go Power!!!!!

Multicoloured Crocodile is on a distinguished road

According to channel 10, even Darwin is a measley 34 tomorrow .
Shucks, more time in the pool then! Life is hard here - half day tomorrow followed by fishing then swim in sea/pool. Too hot for me but you have to make the best of it!
still feels like walking into a hairdrier - even after 10 months!!! oh well...

It's difficult to feel in a festive mood with this excessive heat...how does santa survive in that suit?
Simon
Old Nov 25th 2004, 1:02 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
Hi Nikki
Can't believe how hot it is here at the moment!!! In the UK these temps sound great but once you are here and pushing a heavy pram up the hill home (well I moan about this but to be honest with you Rod pushes the pram up the hill...I push it TO the hill!!!) it's not fun!!! The only good side for us is that our peaches are starting to ripen beautifully...also have mandarins growing (apparently) and another anonymous tree with fruits that we can't identify and our landlord can't remember(!!!!???!!!) Will have to have a peach party! Rod's other idea is to make peach wine, he is currently attempting to make beer and getting very stressed about the fact that his air lock isn't bubbling!!! By the way, if the wine does work I'll invite you all for a peach wine party!!! Any tips on wine making would be appreciated - tried it in the UK once - it was awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alcoholic, cheap and awful!
Hope to come along and meet up with you all again - were all set for doing that this week but breakfast time and babies who are stilll jet lagged don't agree!!! Seriously though, hope to see you all again soon
Susan
I made rhubarb wine a few times. The secret is patience. When bottled it was awful but after 6 months was much better. And by 12 months very nice indeed. It was about 16% too. We had one year where every time we had a BBQ at least one person would end up in the loo puking because they got caught out by the strength. I found adding a few bananas to the mix was good for giving soft fruit wine a bit of body (and strength) too.
If it doesn't ferment (beer or wine) it is usually as your containers weren't sterile and the germs killed the yeast. You can get special restarter yeast which will often give you a second chance.
Good luck!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 6:55 pm
aussie73

The hot weather is excellent for growing fruit trees , such as orange, lemon,
plum, peaches, Also passion fruit, tomato plants and watermelon.

Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:30 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Was quite hot in Perth a few days ago! 37!! I noticed on the weather chart hotter than all the other cities, even Darwin!

Our house is old, with thick walls and high ceiling, but with temps like that it got very warm, and sleeping was hard! Bought 2 fans from WA Salvage, which helps!

I'm trying not to have the airco at work to cold, because otherwise I'll never acclimatise. Have it on 24.
Aircon in car is broken. Will get it fixed though, because car can be very unbearable.(sweating before I even get to work!! )

Rest of the week was cloudy, rain and warmish. Tommorrow 28 and humid I think.

We've been really lucky the past couple of weeks. Cloudy etc during the week, and then a fine weekend!

Wait till February, then it gets really hot in Perth!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

It's 34 degrees in Melbourne today also (actually, a little on the warm side for me but it could be worse, it could be humid )

Have a great weekend everyone
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:29 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shellfish
It's 34 degrees in Melbourne today also (actually, a little on the warm side for me but it could be worse, it could be humid )

Have a great weekend everyone

Spare a thought for us poor nightshift workers who have to sleep through it.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

32! 37! thats not summer swimming pool water gets hotter than that in summer, should start happening around xmas time usually 44 last year, its easy to tell the turkey cooks quicker sitting outside than in the oven eggs fry on the road, the cars seats burn your arse, the steering wheels to hot to touch, roads/grass/sand is too hot to walk on, and the only cool place in the house is in the shower under the cold tap oh and the swimming pool is just like bath water yuk!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Spare a thought for us poor nightshift workers who have to sleep through it.

Spare a thought for us poor building workers who have to work in it :scared:
Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
32! 37! thats not summer :-D swimming pool water gets hotter than that in summer, should start happening around xmas time usually 44 last year, its easy to tell the turkey cooks quicker sitting outside than in the oven :eek : eggs fry on the road, the cars seats burn your arse, the steering wheels to hot to touch, roads/grass/sand is too hot to walk on, and the only cool place in the house is in the shower under the cold tap oh and the swimming pool is just like bath water yuk!
Yep, as I said, wait till Feb.... :scared:
Already got one of those sheepskins things for the steering wheel.
We've got a wading/splash pool in the backyard, which we can lie in(don't even have kids )
Car seat is luckily material.
Have got one of those things for the front window to reflect the sun. Not that that helps much, but still.....
Have bought a shade thingy for the backyard(partytent we call them in Holland..). Unfortunetly the sand is soft, so the wind pulled the pegs out of the ground, and the whole thing was tipped on it's side last weekend... Will have to tie it to the washing line and a tree or something....

I totally sympathise with you tradies and sleepers while I sit here in my aircon office... It's only about 22 outside now though, going to rain any minute(HOPEFULLY!!!!)
Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Simone
Yep, as I said, wait till Feb.... :scared:
Already got one of those sheepskins things for the steering wheel.
We've got a wading/splash pool in the backyard, which we can lie in(don't even have kids )
Car seat is luckily material.
Have got one of those things for the front window to reflect the sun. Not that that helps much, but still.....
Have bought a shade thingy for the backyard(partytent we call them in Holland..). Unfortunetly the sand is soft, so the wind pulled the pegs out of the ground, and the whole thing was tipped on it's side last weekend... Will have to tie it to the washing line and a tree or something....

I totally sympathise with you tradies and sleepers while I sit here in my aircon office... It's only about 22 outside now though, going to rain any minute(HOPEFULLY!!!!)

The shade tent, do the legs come off, in tube like pieces? if so buy a bag of ready mix cement and fill the legs with it, works a treat, well unless theres a cyclone it does

Lovely and cool here too, only 26.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.