Pets Fly In The Morning

Pets Fly In The Morning

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:52 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pets Fly In The Morning

Originally Posted by Smudgo
Hi All

To help put your minds at ease the Melbourne quarantine station & staff are fantastic. They really do care about their jobs & realise that they are dealing with some of the most precious treasures in the world (As Im sure you would agree ) I flew out my 2 cats at the start of the year, I left the UK before them so a mate took them to Heathrow. I got a sms saying all was Ok & they were on their way.

2 days later I called spotswood & asked how they were, both had survived the journey but one was not eating or drinking ! the staff asked what her fav food was & said they would call me if she didnt eat the following day, she didnt eat or drink so they called & said I should go down the following day to see if a familiar face would do the trick & get her to eat. I didnt sleep well that night so I was at the gates of spotswood first thing. The 1 1/2 journey seemed so long.

The cats were housed in a new clean block with 4 or 5 cages ( Roughly 2m x 4m) in each air cond room. They have a mobile cat house & mat in each cage but no toys [TIP: Put your animals favourite toy in with them for the journey just check that it isnt made out of any banned materials eg feathers etc] As soon as I walked in to the room my tabby cat was at the cage door meowing with joy at seeing a friendly face but smudge was hiding in the cat house. After 1/2 hour of talking to her she finally came out, she looked like Sh*t, sad sad eyes, skinny with matted fur, even more scared than usual it brought a tear to my eyes at the sight of her.

I then tried to feed her fav fresh chicken breast, she eventually had a very tiny morsal. It was then time to go but the staff said that they would try 2morrow to hand feed her. I left with a heavy heart but did feel a bit better as they had survived the journey & that the staff were really helpful.

To cut the story short (as I should be working )she didnt eat from the staff so I then had a daily drive to spotswood [due to smudge being on the edge they allowed me to visit mon to fri every day ] After 30 days I had to give the staff a box of choc to say thanks & The girls are now living healthy & happy lifes at home with us. See pic I havent managed to convince smudge that going after a cocky double her size is a bad idea yet though !

Hopefully although it was difficult you can see how good the staff are & dont worry, they really will look after your little darlings
Hey Smudgo

Thanks for you post, it is great to hear that your cats survived the experience. I have spoken several times to SPotswood and the staff there are great and are happy to answer any questions and allow me to ring from the UK, they have even allowed my mum to visit on a saturday just to ease my mind!

Your piccy made me laugh, that will be my dalmatian when he gets out......and possible my tabby cat.....i guess they'll have to learn hey!!!

Everyone's posts on here have been really encouraging and kept me in there, we only have 12 days now and i will see them real soon.

They arrived safe and sound and both the cats are in there together and seem to be coping fine, i will know more after tomorrow when my mum has visited.

Thanks again everyone

Kate