Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol prices....

Petrol prices....

Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:19 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Petrol prices....

Originally Posted by arkon
Those figures don't exist in my rural world. Petrol is currently 1.22 and a year ago less than 80c. I use diesel so its much worse as of today its 1.37.9!!

Are you not in QLD anyway? They are subsidised to 10c per litre less than NSW to begin with.
Correct, but still only 9% change, with or without the QLD discount

The cheapest I got in 2005, was 80.9c on 26-Jan-05, how come you got it cheaper ? NSW is supposed to be at least 10c more

Rural prices are a problem, I agree. Not much you can do about it though.

I found some old UK Petrol prices:
09-Oct-2003: 74.9p
24-Mar-2004: 78.9p
14-May-2004: 81.9p
09-Sep-2005: 95.9p
May 2004 to Sept 2005 = 17% rise

It confirms one thing, prices rises are all over the place, in Both countries

Old Feb 26th 2006, 5:16 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Well Mr. R. Tint I sincerely hope that when you eventually do get here and settle you get a nice job earning far more than you did in the UK and avoid any rural areas. I also hope your job is only a few k from your house and then yes you will be living in utopia.

I see that you are currently in Solihull, if so that’s where we moved here from, and if so I would say Solihull is a far better place and I would move back in an instant.
I don't think that any one thing will get me checking if it was cheaper in the UK. I am sure some things are much cheaper so in general the cost of living will be about the same, at least that is what I'm working on.
I wasn't trying to have a dig at any one but just read this tread at the wrong time. Sick of people moaning about the price of things and like I said why should you want to compare it to the UK when you are in oz. And I cecertainlyon't think that oz is utopia, Life is what you make it.
I won't even be earning a 1/4 of what I did in the UK and that does not bother me I am moving for a better life for me my wife and 2 boys and as long as I can achieve that I'll be happy.
P.S. Where about in Solihull were you? and where are you now?

Suni
Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:27 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I don't think that any one thing will get me checking if it was cheaper in the UK. I am sure some things are much cheaper so in general the cost of living will be about the same, at least that is what I'm working on.
I wasn't trying to have a dig at any one but just read this tread at the wrong time. Sick of people moaning about the price of things and like I said why should you want to compare it to the UK when you are in oz. And I cecertainlyon't think that oz is utopia, Life is what you make it.
I won't even be earning a 1/4 of what I did in the UK and that does not bother me I am moving for a better life for me my wife and 2 boys and as long as I can achieve that I'll be happy.

Suni
Very well said!
I think it's really difficult to make a true overall comparison and it's better to take things as it is.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because you have a low paid job in the UK doesn't mean your getting a fair comparison.

1 Year ago in the UK petrol was 82p per litre and now its about 90p so a rise of about 9% in a year. Here by contrast a year ago it was 80c and now its about 1.22 (petrol I’m on about) a rise of out 52%. So come on chaps how can rip off Britain manage a 9% rise in the last year and Australia a 50% rise?

I still maintain that as I'm now earning $ the cost feels like £1.34

If you do the currency conversion yes I totally agree petrol per litre is far more expensive in the UK compared to OZ. When you take into account the Oz cost of living compared to wages then I think petrol is far more expensive.

As for the mileage per person stat, I just don't believe it, This place is just far far bigger and the chances of you living close to where you work is pretty remote. I accept some of you like ABC are lucky to be doing less mileage but I can't see how the average Australian does less mileage, Unless of course more Ozzies use public transport and maybe this is factored into the figures.

Today it cost me $90 to fill the car and this only used to be about $50 a year ago, my income hasn't risen by 50% to match so yes it really does feel bloody expensive and yes it does really feel like I’m living in rip off Australia.
I reckon you are cooking the figures a bit. I arrived 2 years ago (in Victoria) and the price of petrol was approximately $1 a litre. In the last 2 years it has ranged from about 90c to $1.35. It is currently about $1.12. I cannot see how you were getting a price of 80c a year ago in rural NSW, unless you are including the farm rebate. I doubt if anyone in QLD saw it go that low in the last 12 months.

As for the average mileage stats you are obviously unaware that most people in Australia live in the large cities and not in the middle of nowhere. Most Aussies live very close to the places they work. You wont find many Aussies doing the commuting times and distances that you find in the UK.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 8:44 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I reckon you are cooking the figures a bit. I arrived 2 years ago (in Victoria) and the price of petrol was approximately $1 a litre. In the last 2 years it has ranged from about 90c to $1.35. It is currently about $1.12. I cannot see how you were getting a price of 80c a year ago in rural NSW, unless you are including the farm rebate. I doubt if anyone in QLD saw it go that low in the last 12 months.

As for the average mileage stats you are obviously unaware that most people in Australia live in the large cities and not in the middle of nowhere. Most Aussies live very close to the places they work. You wont find many Aussies doing the commuting times and distances that you find in the UK.
Well I have the recipts to prove it, which I have to keep for the farm rebate. Petrol here in rural NSW fluctuate madly and while your now at $1.12 we are at $1.22 very occasionally the local garage seems to have a maddie or a guilt trip and for a day or two it gets very cheap, as much as 12c cheaper than all the other garages around. Diesel on the other hand has a mind of it's own and I really regret now getting a diesel car.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have the recipts to prove it, which I have to keep for the farm rebate. Petrol here in rural NSW fluctuate madly and while your now at $1.12 we are at $1.22 very occasionally the local garage seems to have a maddie or a guilt trip and for a day or two it gets very cheap, as much as 12c cheaper than all the other garages around. Diesel on the other hand has a mind of it's own and I really regret now getting a diesel car.
Fair enough. In that case, do you really think that it is fair to use this to compare prices as it seems to be a feature of your local garage. That is, to make an apples vs apples comparison, a similar situation would be needed to calculate the UK price increase.

Surely to do a fair comparison you would have to take general price points from both countries and not selected extremes from one and not from the other. By being selective in what you choose to measure you could prove anything and nothing at all. You could even use your figures to prove that in the year up to that low price point that Aus had lowered its petrol prices by a huge amount whereas UK quite probably raised them.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Most Aussies live very close to the places they work. You wont find many Aussies doing the commuting times and distances that you find in the UK.
There's an element of truth in this; most aussies raise an eyebrow at a commute over 30mins.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
There's an element of truth in this; most aussies raise an eyebrow at a commute over 30mins.
Depends what industry your in, driving to jobs and hour + away if your in construction is nothing, many tradies put a brand new ute around the clock in less than 2 years. Many office workers and hospital workers in syd and melb travel an hour in a day to the burbs, and heaps of workers in work in brisbane but want to live on the gold or sunshine coasts another hour easily in peak.

Petrol do buy on monday or tuesday, up here $117 on weekend today $109
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

P.S. Where about in Solihull were you? and where are you.
Chelmsley wood
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Depends what industry your in, driving to jobs and hour + away if your in construction is nothing, many tradies put a brand new ute around the clock in less than 2 years.
Remember though, those average figures quoted specified "passenger vehicles". I think a trademans ute may not be classed as a "typical privately-owned car".

many tradies put a brand new ute around the clock in less than 2 years
That's about 31,000 miles per year ? Compares about the same with some of my business vehicles back in the UK, in the 70/80's.

Many office workers and hospital workers in syd and melb travel an hour in a day to the burbs
Many of them use the train, I used to be one of them, driving was a pain most of the time, having to leave by 6am by car or 7:30 by train.

Those quoted average annual mileage figures, are the average for typical "privately-owned cars" and "passenger vehicles", and therefore commercial/trade use comparisons will be different in both countries, but still valid comments for those intending using vehicles for commercial purposes, having to drive long distances each day.

Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:34 am
Just Joined

robertq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
P.S. Where about in Solihull were you? and where are you now?

Suni
That's proper point of view. Cost of fuel should be compared to other costs of life (food, schooling etc) and of course salary that people are paid.
I wonder what would you say if I told you that in Poland one liter Pb95 costs 3,60zl that's about A$1,50 and where average salary is about 2200zl (A$900) a month but minimal equals 1000zl (A$400) gross and not few people earn this.
Average mileage is about 15k-20k km a year. People live here and many of them are happy
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:27 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Is there much difference between the prices of petrol and diesel?

I've been reading that diesel cars are becoming more and more available over there, and there are moves to the newer, low sulphur fuel with the European cars need.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:01 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adriang
Is there much difference between the prices of petrol and diesel?

I've been reading that diesel cars are becoming more and more available over there, and there are moves to the newer, low sulphur fuel with the European cars need.
Where I am Diesel is about 12c per litre more than unleaded. Not all stations have Diesel and if they do they might only have big fat fast flow trucky pumps which don't fit in my car so you end up with expensive wet feet.
I for one knowing what I now know wouldn't have bought a diesel. Add to that for some strange reason the service interval on diesels seems to be half the distance to what it was back home.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Paid 100.9 on Wednesday morning.
100 a litre! ... yeah I paid 100 a litre recently over here in the UK ...

100 pennies! ...
Old Feb 27th 2006, 4:04 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robertq
That's proper point of view. Cost of fuel should be compared to other costs of life (food, schooling etc) and of course salary that people are paid.
I wonder what would you say if I told you that in Poland one liter Pb95 costs 3,60zl that's about A$1,50 and where average salary is about 2200zl (A$900) a month but minimal equals 1000zl (A$400) gross and not few people earn this.
Average mileage is about 15k-20k km a year. People live here and many of them are happy
I wouldn't give a S*^t cos I'm not movin there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.