British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Petrol prices.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/petrol-prices-357286/)

karenjc Feb 24th 2006 6:47 am

Petrol prices....

When over in wonderful OZ be aware that petrol goes up as it gets closer to the weekend. Our local rip off petrol station usually puts it's prices up on a Wednesday night but this week caught us out by doing it in the morning. The price went up 17cents a litre. The price does come down around Sunday night / Monday morning so from then on until Wednesday ( were now doing it on Tuesday just in case ) is the time to fill up.

mumomonty Feb 24th 2006 7:21 am

Re: Petrol prices....

Originally Posted by karenjc
When over in wonderful OZ be aware that petrol goes up as it gets closer to the weekend. Our local rip off petrol station usually puts it's prices up on a Wednesday night but this week caught us out by doing it in the morning. The price went up 17cents a litre. The price does come down around Sunday night / Monday morning so from then on until Wednesday ( were now doing it on Tuesday just in case ) is the time to fill up.

'Cheap tuesday's' well known in Oz. Havn't you noticed?

ABCDiamond Feb 24th 2006 7:32 am

In my area it drops down overnight for Cheap prices on Wednesday Morning, and then goes back to the normal higher price by Lunchtime Wednesday.

Paid 100.9 on Wednesday morning. :)

Jane and Russ Middleton Feb 24th 2006 7:34 am

Originally Posted by karenjc

We have a similar problem here in the UK, although it isn't the local petrol station that rips you off.......Its the government, the only difference is the prices go up......then never come down.......Then a couple of weeks later they go up again, and again, and again... :mad:
Hey Ho never mind, i will soon be in a better place!!!!!!! :D
Russ

ABCDiamond Feb 24th 2006 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
We have a similar problem here in the UK, although it isn't the local petrol station that rips you off.......Its the government, the only difference is the prices go up......then never come down.......Then a couple of weeks later they go up again, and again, and again... :mad:
Hey Ho never mind, i will soon be in a better place!!!!!!! :D
Russ

It isn't actually the local petrol stations here either, it's the Big Suppliers deciding which day to allow the stations to sell discounted fuel. ;)

After a while you get used to it here......

Highest I've paid so far in 2006 is $1.079 but i've seen it over $1.20, but never paid that :)

mand8002 Feb 24th 2006 9:26 am

I had to fill the car up on Thursday night so paid a whopping 116.9. I decided to only half fill it so that I should need some more on Tuesday, which seems to be the cheapest day. Just watch, now that I have decided to do that it will be expensive on Tuesday!!

skywalker Feb 24th 2006 9:46 am

Anyway, it's cheaper in oz...

Bert'n'Stella Feb 24th 2006 9:55 am

Mackay is $119.9 and has been for a few weeks. I think Brissy must be cheaper? There was one petrol station up here that I think they just couldn't be assed to change the price and they were $109.9 for ages, but finally got up the ladder and changed it :(

Nice Guy Feb 24th 2006 10:11 am

Petrol prices....higher in NZ!

Blimey you lot pay bugger all for your petroleum, in NZ the price of Ultra High Octane (95) has reached the very dizzy heights of NZ$ 1.529, according to my trusty calculator at nows exchange rate = AU$1.369.

Makes me want to swear................so......................Bugge r!

Please give me Karma!

mumomonty Feb 25th 2006 1:58 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It isn't actually the local petrol stations here either, it's the Big Suppliers deciding which day to allow the stations to sell discounted fuel. ;)

After a while you get used to it here......

Highest I've paid so far in 2006 is $1.079 but i've seen it over $1.20, but never paid that :)

You're def in the lucky country. Here in NZ we pay $1.48 and it doesn't go down it just goes up like the UK.

arkon Feb 25th 2006 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mumomonty
You're def in the lucky country. Here in NZ we pay $1.48 and it doesn't go down it just goes up like the UK.

I don't feel lucky here in rural NSW, I'm paying $1.34.9 for diesel at the moment and as the next nearest place is 20 minutes away it's costing me a fortune in fuel. Then the tractor which a year ago cost me less than $30 for a 5 acre field now costs me about $50 to mulch. Come back rip off Britian all is forgiven!

ABCDiamond Feb 25th 2006 8:33 am

Originally Posted by arkon
I don't feel lucky here in rural NSW, I'm paying $1.34.9 for diesel at the moment and as the next nearest place is 20 minutes away it's costing me a fortune in fuel. Then the tractor which a year ago cost me less than $30 for a 5 acre field now costs me about $50 to mulch. Come back rip off Britian all is forgiven!

I'm sure your local garage would be happy to charge you the UK price for Diesel, if you ask them, about 93p ? $2.18 ;)

Even up here, diesel is 122.6c. So you aren't being stung too much for your location this time.

arkon Feb 25th 2006 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'm sure your local garage would be happy to charge you the UK price for Diesel, if you ask them, about 93p ? $2.18 ;)

Even up here, diesel is 122.6c. So you aren't being stung too much for your location this time.

ABC I don't know why you do this conversion, after you have been here a while and are earning $ instead of pounds the conversion becomes irrelevent. To me now a pound equals 1 dollar. So to me it *feels* like $1.34 a litre which may as well be £1.34. If you earn dollars and drive on average 2.5 times the distances then it *feels* way more expensive here.

ABCDiamond Feb 26th 2006 12:02 am

Originally Posted by arkon
ABC I don't know why you do this conversion, after you have been here a while and are earning $ instead of pounds the conversion becomes irrelevent. To me now a pound equals 1 dollar. So to me it *feels* like $1.34 a litre which may as well be £1.34. If you earn dollars and drive on average 2.5 times the distances then it *feels* way more expensive here.

I only did it because you said "Come back rip off Britian all is forgiven!", so it seemed relevant to your comment ;)

My opinion on fuel is that it is so much cheaper. I used to spend about 7% of my income on petrol in the UK, but now only spend about 4%.

Of course everyones situation is different, but I, unlike you, would not welcome the "rip off Britain" prices again ;)

232Bar Feb 26th 2006 12:10 am

Fuel in Oz might be 'half' the price of the UK - but as you virtually have to drive twice the distance to anywhere, doesn't that amount to the same thing?? :D