Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet Insurance any recomendations?

Pet Insurance any recomendations?

Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Default Pet Insurance any recomendations?

Hi Guys,

I've been tearing my hear out trying to find a full life or I think its called a complete insurance plan for my little dog. Basically I want a plan that should he ever get something like diabities the plan will cover his medication for his entire life.

We had a plan like this with M&S in the UK, but as there don't seem to be any decient comparison websites in OZ for this I am finding it hard to find a good plan.

Does anyone have any recommendations or plans to avoid?

Any help would be great.

Ta
Chelly
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pet Insurance any recomendations?

I did a lot of research on this when we got our puppy 6 weeks ago. Having been faced with a vet bill of $2,500 (and a dead dog) last year it was pretty much top of my list!

I went with Petplan. They are fairly new to the market here and seem to be trying hard. Unlike other companies they don't automatically exclude anything an animal might have one year under "pre-existing conditions" the next. There is a $100 excess per condition, but apart from that pay 100% (unlike a lot of companies here that only pay 80% even with an excess). There is also no limit on tick cover (pretty important as we live near the bush in a high risk paralysis tick area). My vet says they are one of the best in terms of not quibbling over treatment. They were helpful on the phone and I was able to sort out immediate cover. I picked up a leaflet at the vet's that offered the first month free so it might be worth mentioning that if you decide to go with them- there wasn't a code on it I had to provide, or something to post to them. I think it's just over $40 a month - maybe $1-2 more expensive than others but worth it when you start comparing the small print.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, I forgot to say they definitely cover "whole life" treatment for conditions such as diabetes or cancer as long as contracted after you take out the plan and as long as you keep the policy in place without a break they guarantee to cover your pet for life (as long as it's taken out before the pet is a certain age).
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

ultra runner is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Petplan Covered for Life Policy here in the UK. A bit pricey at £275 per annum but better than a huge bill.

Most owners I know have nothing but praise for them.
If it's the same company you should be ok. (Allianz Insuarnce plc)