Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth vs Brisbane

Perth vs Brisbane

Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:14 am
Just Joined

ParadiseSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth vs Brisbane

Brits who move to Australia seem to favour either Perth or Brisbane. I've been monitoring comments on this forum for a while and the impression I get is that there are generally fewer gripes about Brisbane. You rarely see negative comments about the sunshine state. Sure, some people rave about Perth but I'm surprised by how many others have reservations.

Personally, I think SE Queensland has an edge for the following reasons:
- Less isolated (1 day drive to Sydney, less than 2 hours to Noumea, 3 hours to NZ).
- Varied and beautiful hinterland (mountains, rainforest, beaches etc).
- Good school system.

SE Queensland is also (by far) the top destination for internal Australian migration with lots of young families trying to make lives for themselves.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:28 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth vs Brisbane

Agree with your comments really. For me its Brisbane and Perth would not suit. But everyone is looking for the personalised version of what they believe will make them happy. For some that is what Perth can offer over Brisbane, I dont see the attraction myself but many do and are exceedingly happy.

Horses for courses
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ParadiseSeeker
Brits who move to Australia seem to favour either Perth or Brisbane. I've been monitoring comments on this forum for a while and the impression I get is that there are generally fewer gripes about Brisbane. You rarely see negative comments about the sunshine state. Sure, some people rave about Perth but I'm surprised by how many others have reservations.

- Less isolated (1 day drive to Sydney, less than 2 hours to Noumea, 3 hours to NZ).
- Good school system.

SE Queensland is also (by far) the top destination for internal Australian migration with lots of young families trying to make lives for themselves.

It has to be Queensland if you ask me, you are relatively near everything here and bang in the middle of the east coast. Perth is far too isolated for my liking but I can understand why people are attracted to Perth as a city.

We are seeing a lot of Brits relocating from Perth to Queensland after a few years of being over there and point to the isolation and the colder weather in the winter as being the main reasons for moving east. But saying all of that Perth is far better than anywhere in the U.K.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Brisbane and never being to Perth I suppose I would be biased but, I thought I might feel isolated in Perth and Brisbane has everything we could wish for.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:56 am
Just Joined

ParadiseSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point

I also find Queenslanders the friendliest in Oz. There's something a bit old fashioned about them but I really like that. I just love those old Queenslander houses - so much character, so much nicer than your average brick veneer bungalow.
WA does have some of the most stunning scenery but it's mostly a long way from Perth.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:14 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

- Good school system.

Hey, sounds beautiful. Perth is a bit on the flat side! Not much variety here in the way of scenery really.

Only thing about Brisbane that puts us off is the humidity and the tropical storms they get over there. How do the Brisbanites cope?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hey, sounds beautiful. Perth is a bit on the flat side! Not much variety here in the way of scenery really.

Only thing about Brisbane that puts us off is the humidity and the tropical storms they get over there. How do the Brisbanites cope?

We stay in doors in the aircon on the very humid days and drink lots of cool ones and go in the pool. We have learned how to adapt to such extremes.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
We stay in doors in the aircon on the very humid days and drink lots of cool ones and go in the pool. We have learned how to adapt to such extremes.
Sorry to change the subject but i noticed the the gold coaster is a surfer and was hoping he could tell me how good the surf is on the goldy as the surf is one of many reasons i plan to live on the gold coast.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The major problem with Deliverance land (SE Qld) is that it's redneck central.

'Squeal little piggy'.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

sean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nicesean trethewey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu

'Squeal little piggy'.
Must be hard to deal with but thanks for sharing your memory's with us
Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:27 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Brits who move to Australia seem to favour either Perth or Brisbane.
The forum topics may suggest that more people are interested in Perth or Brisbane, but the last set of immigration stats (2002-2003) provided by the Australian government indicates otherwise.

http://www.immi.gov.au/statistics/st...ers/setdat.htm

New South Wales (i.e. Sydney) received more than Queensland and Western Australia combined! These figures do quote immigrants from all countries but as you can see on one of the other tables that the Brits top the charts in immigration numbers anyway (with the Kiwis a close second).

Perhaps the long standing popularity of Sydney has contributed to the sharp rise in house prices, making Brits consider other cities now
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu

'Squeal little piggy'.

Don't know where abouts in Queensland that you visited but you are so,so wrong. perhaps you were on a farmers weekly all inclusive holiday taking in all the farmland sites. You can keep what you do to farmyard animals to your self and W.A.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
The forum topics may suggest that more people are interested in Perth or Brisbane, but the last set of immigration stats (2002-2003) provided by the Australian government indicates otherwise.

http://www.immi.gov.au/statistics/st...ers/setdat.htm

New South Wales (i.e. Sydney) received more than Queensland and Western Australia combined! These figures do quote immigrants from all countries but as you can see on one of the other tables that the Brits top the charts in immigration numbers anyway (with the Kiwis a close second).

Perhaps the long standing popularity of Sydney has contributed to the sharp rise in house prices, making Brits consider other cities now
You're quite right - Sydney has always been the most popular destination for migrants. Just because they don't come from the UK, doesn't mean they're not migrants! Most UK migrants don't come here because they can't afford the big house they want here - whereas they can in cheaper cities.

Also why they have a special list of occupations that only applies for Sydney - to try to keep the numbers down.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:26 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Just because they don't come from the UK, doesn't mean they're not migrants!

Umm ... I didn't say that they weren't migrants if they didn't come from the UK. I only stressed that the statistics included ALL migrants and not just those from the UK because the original poster was specifically asking about British immigrants.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:44 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Never been to Perth but latest figures indicate Brisbane will be Australia's second biggest city by 2010, overtaking Melbourne. Having been down to Melbourne last weekend, I can see why so many people are moving to Qld.

How do people in Melbourne find life down there? For me, I couldn't get over how dirty the place is and the flies :scared: God they pissed me off. Glad to get back to clean Brisbane.

R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.