Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth v's Brisbane

Perth v's Brisbane

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:03 am
PeterC

PeterC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth v's Brisbane

We are due to arrive in Oz in June - but we still are unsure where to live having visited both Perth and Brisbane many times and really like both areas.
Work will dictate of course. I'm a Civil Engineer by profession.
We have two kids (daughter 17, son 14).
The kids prefer Perth.
My worry for Perth or example will be procuring continous employment due to it's "remoteness." Brisbane being larger area might offer more of a job scope.
Appreciate any advise?
Regards.\
Pete
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth v's Brisbane

Originally Posted by PeterC
We are due to arrive in Oz in June - but we still are unsure where to live having visited both Perth and Brisbane many times and really like both areas.
The kids prefer Perth.
My worry for Perth or example will be procuring continous employment due to it's "remoteness." Brisbane being larger area might offer more of a job scope.
Appreciate any advise?
Regards.\
Pete
Perth is better for engineering.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:44 am
PeterC

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Perth is better for engineering.
Thanks.
Suppose employment agents will advise - but certainly for the first couple of years - I will need to be able to commute "home" on a daily basis, rather than get work on a fly in fly out rota. That option would really please the wife... !
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Suppose employment agents will advise - but certainly for the first couple of years - I will need to be able to commute "home" on a daily basis, rather than get work on a fly in fly out rota. That option would really please the wife... !
Most design/project jobs are based in Perth, you just fly up if you need to visit site One company told me that a lot of their guys fly up in the morning & back the same evening. I guess if you are on the condtruction side, then that would be site based, which is not so cool.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:53 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

The kids prefer Perth.
Appreciate any advise?
Regards.\
Pete
Weather is different in Perth than Brisbane, my good friend lives in Brisbane and I live in Perth. From what I hear we get hotter days in Perth, Brissie gets more rain and humidity. I love Perth but I hear QLD is great too, its a tough choice.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:12 am
PeterC

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Most design/project jobs are based in Perth, you just fly up if you need to visit site One company told me that a lot of their guys fly up in the morning & back the same evening. I guess if you are on the condtruction side, then that would be site based, which is not so cool.
Thanks.
At the moment I'm located in Qatar involved in the Oil and Gas game.
However being a civil engineer you tend to get involved in many different sectors such as projects/petrochemical/telecomms/maintenance etc.
Ideally I'd like to get in with a city based consultancy.
Any idea which agents/outfits I should try?
Might be a bit early contacting these given our June/July arrival time but then again maybe not...
Regards.
Pete
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:14 am
PeterC

Originally Posted by cherry6
Weather is different in Perth than Brisbane, my good friend lives in Brisbane and I live in Perth. From what I hear we get hotter days in Perth, Brissie gets more rain and humidity. I love Perth but I hear QLD is great too, its a tough choice.
Yep we too have mates in both places - who both tell us that their's is the best by far?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:20 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Yep we too have mates in both places - who both tell us that their's is the best by far?
Maybe decide by which mates you prefer?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:24 am
PeterC

Originally Posted by worzel
Maybe decide by which mates you prefer?
Probably stay here in bloody Qatar then..... :scared: