Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - is it too isolated?

Perth - is it too isolated?

Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice
Default Re: Perth - is it too isolated?

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Do you, or have you lived there shade8?
Yes I do.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:00 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shade8
Yes I do.
How long have you lived there? (if you don't mind me asking)
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:19 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I think the more Poms that go to Perth the better.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:25 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hello

To those of you in Perth how are you finding it? Does it feel isolated? Is there enough going on on the west coast to keep you entertained? Is the weather great?

To those of you heading to the west coast what made you consider this over the east coast?

Thanks
Perth is a beautiful place and I've had some great times there. Weather is superb of course! I did feel it was a bit isolated (just my opinion though). It's all about what you are after in life. For my family it was not for us - we did a lot of travelling before we decided where to settle (hour south of Sydney). We all want different things out of life and it all depends what you're after. You would really need to see it for yourself.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah,
Perth isnt to isolated.
I have done more things since moving here than all my years in london.

There is plenty to do , just find a good group of friends.
Perth is growing all the time, more and more to do. Just hope it doesnt get to busy.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We had a look at SE Qld & thought it was a craphole. .
First person to 'generalise' about this in a while. Going by posts on here in the past, most of the really unhappy people seem to live in SE QLD as much as Perth :scared: :scared:

I think people have to look at whether they really like beaches and sun and not get too hung up over them.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
OK I got the population wrong ....just over 2 million in 2005...which makes it worse in my mind. I grew up in Northern Ireland with 1.5 million and a huge brain drain. And of course the passport makes a difference. Given that a heck of a lot of aussies use the ancestory visa, having a passport out means alot and London is not the be n end all. British passport means European. And regardless of where in Aus the wealth may be buried...perception is a bigger thing and that does not make Perth a happening capital!
I think Sandra is right in that WA is not going to be the end to all problems. Having said that, I do believe that Australian capital cities offer opportunites. I'm quite happy for my children to consider education and professional careers in Sydney and Melbourne, for example - I've met loads of Australian professionals who are quite happy to be professionals in Australia. We've met loads of families who are quite hot on education and professionalism. I also believe I can give my kids a childhood and the balance they need here. The thing is, is that you have to put the work in yourself, you can't just leave it all to the 'system' and expect your kids to be top of the class.

Many kids do get over to Europe for a while, it's almost like a finishing school - gives them an all-round experience. The ones that stay seem to have made a unexpected tie like a relationship or a line of job offer which they can't refuse.

I'm quite happy for mu kids to leave home for Europe at some point, I'd expect it.

cheers

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jan 16th 2006 at 3:52 am.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I think Sandra is right in that WA is not going to be the end to all problems. Having said that, I do believe that Australian capital cities offer opportunites. I'm quite happy for my children to consider education and professional careers in Sydney and Melbourne, for example - I've met loads of Australian professionals who are quite happy to be professionals in Australia. We've met loads of families who are quite hot on education and professionalism. I also believe I can give my kids a childhood and the balance they need here. The thing is, is that you have to put the work in yourself, you can't just leave it all to the 'system' and expect your kids to be top of the class.

Many kids do get over to Europe for a while, it's almost like a finishing school - gives them an all-round experience. The ones that stay seem to have made a unexpected tie like a relationship or a line of job offer which they can't refuse.

I'm quite happy for mu kids to leave home for Europe at some point, I'd expect it.

cheers
Perth's got all that. Some of the best schools in Australia (like Hale for example) & a good university (UWA). The career opportunities are excellent. Okay, if you're gonna be a stockbroker, derivatives trader or some other non job then you are better off in London. Professionals do well here. When a city is 'happening' like overrated Sydney then it is an excuse for overpriced houses, bars & clubs, overinflated egos & big city attitudes. I can't see the growth in Perth slowing in the short term (say 5 years). Who knows, maybe Perth will be a 'happening' city in a few years. I hope not.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: Perth - is it too isolated?

Perth's got all that. Some of the best schools in Australia (like Hale for example) & a good university (UWA). The career opportunities are excellent. Okay, if you're gonna be a stockbroker, derivatives trader or some other non job then you are better off in London. Professionals do well here. When a city is 'happening' like overrated Sydney then it is an excuse for overpriced houses, bars & clubs, overinflated egos & big city attitudes. I can't see the growth in Perth slowing in the short term (say 5 years). Who knows, maybe Perth will be a 'happening' city in a few years. I hope not.
that's the way.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Perth - is it too isolated?

Cracker of a post. Karma sent.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
How long have you lived there? (if you don't mind me asking)
7 years
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:29 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I think the more Poms that go to Perth the better.

Thats it. It was Isolated, but not now