Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or the sunshine coast???

Perth or the sunshine coast???

Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

lissett_family will become famous soon enoughlissett_family will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perth or the sunshine coast???

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Stay in Perth. It's the best place in Australia.
Knocks the socks off the Sunshine Coast.
Isolation is a state of mind.
I've spent quite a bit of time travelling around Oz, albeit a few years ago now but I'd have to say that the Perth really is one of the best places. Lifestyle and climate are definitely hard to beat!

The only downside is that house prices seem to be rocketing.....
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:01 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
No Ocean views in Mountain Creek, you'd need Mooloolaba, Maroochydore, Cotton Tree or Alexander Headland to be next to the ocean. There's also lots of smaller places between here and Noosa and here and Caloundra that are really nice.
Can't help on the investment front, I know rentals are few and far between and the owners choose the tenants.
I've just seen a house for sale at $435,000 - it's rented out at $360 per week
Originally Posted by tinaj
For a house around 400k you cab expect to rent for around $360 pw. This is nowhere near your covering your costs and you will have a shortfall each month of around $700 after agents fees.

The last 12mths have been pretty stable on the Sunny Coast there was a huge boom 3 yrs back since then it has been static.

The Sunshine Coast is a great place to live - but be aware that jobs for certain professions are few and far between. If you are a tradie then you will be fine as there is still lots of building going on. Anything office based etc is harder to find. We have just moved away as my hubby could not find any decent jobs without commuting 1 1/2 hrs to Brissie.
Thanks for the info guys, seems like the investment equation isnt much better than it is in Perth, I find it odd that rental prices are so low here. Its almost tempting to sell up and rent for the rest of your life!
If I moved to the SC it would'nt involve work, I was thinking more along the lines of trying to buy something now on a decent sized block with an ocean view, with the aim of renting it out over say 10-15years, in the hope that it wouldnt be too long before it became self funding, then moving over and knocking it down or renovating it to live in when the time was right...
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mark044
Looking on ourbrisbane.com cant find mountain creek....is it under another suburb or too far out to qualify?!!
Mountisn Creek is in the sunny Coast 80k north of Brissie. It is in Maroochy Shire near Buderim way.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
I find it odd that rental prices are so low here. Its almost tempting to sell up and rent for the rest of your life!
I worked with a guy who owns 5 investment properties in Kwinana but rents a canal front home in Mandurah. He reckons it's not worth buying one of these as they are way overpriced & it is more economical to rent.

I also find rents low here & am amused by how the Aussies think they are so expensive!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:44 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I worked with a guy who owns 5 investment properties in Kwinana but rents a canal front home in Mandurah. He reckons it's not worth buying one of these as they are way overpriced & it is more economical to rent.

I also find rents low here & am amused by how the Aussies think they are so expensive!
I am seriously going to do the sums and look into this, may not do it yet but it could be a plan for a few years time. Especially if I can sell to an investor and rent it straight back off him.

Most rents should be about 50% higher than they are, it tends to be the people that think of them as being too low tend to be those that complain everything is too expensive, everything's going to crash, want something for nothing etc etc...
The trouble is there's so much crap rental property out there owned by people that bought 10 years ago for sod all money that they dont care about the state of them, there quite happy renting them out for about 60% of what they would get if they were in a renovated condition, even at those rates there still probably positively geared. They can happily sit on them till retirement knowing the prices are only ever going to increase.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I am seriously going to do the sums and look into this, may not do it yet but it could be a plan for a few years time. Especially if I can sell to an investor and rent it straight back off him.
As long as you don't sell it to my landlord. The next day he'll turn up unnanounced to lord it over you.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
As long as you don't sell it to my landlord. The next day he'll turn up unnanounced to lord it over you.
any luck finding a new gaff Renth
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
any luck finding a new gaff Renth
Thanks for asking. We are about to put an offer is on one, maybe two propeties in Iluka we like.

I can't bear to rent anymore after the last 12 months of trauma suffered under my dickhead landlord.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for asking. We are about to put an offer is on one, maybe two propeties in Iluka we like.

I can't bear to rent anymore after the last 12 months of trauma suffered under my dickhead landlord.
super news, really pleased to hear that.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:05 am
Living in Perthection

I'll make sure I run his name by you before I sign anything

Have I got the wrong end of the stick? from what your saying it sounds like your buying ? and in WA ??
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:11 am
(It's not my real name)

I'll make sure I run his name by you before I sign anything

Have I got the wrong end of the stick? from what your saying it sounds like your buying ? and in WA ??
Correct, finally hoping to buy a slice of the good life. Too much to give up here in Perth to start from scratch in QLD.

With hindsight 4 years ago, when I first came to Oz I would have gone to QLD but now, WA is home.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:10 am
Living in Perthection

Correct, finally hoping to buy a slice of the good life. Too much to give up here in Perth to start from scratch in QLD.

With hindsight 4 years ago, when I first came to Oz I would have gone to QLD but now, WA is home.
A tough decision I would imagine, but at least you've made your decision and seem happy about it.
All about looking forward and enjoying it now I guess.
Good luck with it, I think you've made the right decision.

If your ready to start looking for a new job now, let me know.