Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - suggest a nice place to live

Perth - suggest a nice place to live

Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Perth - suggest a nice place to live

Originally Posted by Bobcat
During last year's so called mini-boom.......... some of my clients made $70K to $100K within 6 months......... they didn't have to wait a couple of years!!!

As is now; I guess we've all come down to earth with a bit of a bump.

The sooner vendors get realistic with their prices........ the better it will be for everyone?

The market is starting to show signs of stabilisation....... I'd say the latest mooted interest rate rise contributed to that....... and it's not before time either!!!

Granted; we could have done without the slight hiccup of an interest rate rise in the first place......... but if it has the overall effect of bringing vendors to their senses sooner rather than later........ and by doing so it helps the market stabilise ............then it should be a win-win situation allround!

I'm very impressed with myhome.com too; it does seem to be user friendly and if I'm not mistaken....... I'm pretty sure that site is linked to the TV show of the same name? Could be wrong........ but I sort of got an inkling the logo on the webpage and the TV show are the same? It is definitely a fast site and relatively easy to use ......... if i get the green light from my accountant in Duncraig ......... might even consider advertising on same?

From a personal point of view; i still reckon NOR is on the up and up; and there are plenty of bargains there for the taking...... if you know where to look? It's still very much a buyer's market....... can't see that changing until perhaps after this year's election maybe?

A little bit perturbed to see someone describe Somerly as being 'dog rough'..... that's most unfair to generalise like that? I'm sure my clients who have bought into the area world beg to differ ....... and likewise several BE members who live in the area too!!! In fact....... one of our prominent BE Members has given us a blow by blow account of her house going up stage by stage........ and that looks anything but 'dog rough'?

Rant over!!!
Excellent post, yet again comments from someone about clarkson/somerly who does not live there! And yet all those who slate the area visit the free concerts in the park and probably come into the area to do the weekly shopping.
I was privy to some inside information regarding crime and lowlife sex pervs housing and it aint in clarkson

Di
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:43 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham67
Goodluck with your trip,hope all works out. If your looking up North you have to consider with the morning traffic you could be over an hour to the city, 40mins to Osbourne park which is the closest to the Northern suburbs for your line of work.
Not true, as there are trains up here, which take just over 1/2 an hour from the end of line (Clarkson)

There is also Wangara for work. I cannot comment on the south or inland suburbs as we have been ocean side since arriving over a year ago. Kinross was not for us, some of the houses at the Northern end give you a perfect view of the council dump site which is a huge mound of something. I'm sure it must block out the sun out in the evening.
That what you call a 'huge mound of something' is actually sand. You know it's really good and you get it on beaches

There are nicer suburbs if you shop around.....$$$ What is your budget?????? We have just bought in Beaumaris,Ocean Reef which is water side with good plot sizes. It's a nice area. Our son goes to Prendiville catholic College which is one of the better schools. Most Oz schools are OK do some research. A lot depends on budget. Ocean Reef from around $600-$1.5 mil. Mindarie is another good area, still bargains to be had there. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Butler is going to be too crowded with very very small plots and a bit far from the city. Burns beach is OK
Ocean Reef isn't the most saught after suburb IMO, and like everywhere else has it's good and bad points. As for schools, can't really comment as I don't have kids, yet.

Clarkson/Somerly stay well clear dog rough. We quite liked the newer part of Quinns Rocks. Stay on the right hand side the old part is supposed to be again a bit rough.
....and you have lived there so you would know???
I don't think you are in a position to comment on areas if you are only supposing. People on here want people's views/advice based on knowledge and experience, not just guesswork.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:53 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
A little bit perturbed to see someone describe Somerly as being 'dog rough'..... that's most unfair to generalise like that? I'm sure my clients who have bought into the area world beg to differ ....... and likewise several BE members who live in the area too!!! In fact....... one of our prominent BE Members has given us a blow by blow account of her house going up stage by stage........ and that looks anything but 'dog rough'?

Rant over!!!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Brains is an unknown quantity at this point

As I said in a previous post mosta reas are good to live in. Some areas are quite undesriable whereas some are fantastic to live in. It comes down to if you want to live in a newer area such as Success or Southern River or if you dont mind living in an older sort of suburb.

What I have found is that in the newer suburbs you have younger families. Although there are pockets of babyboomers who have decided to sell their triplex site and move into a cottage lot in a newer suburb.

go to the websites and check out areas and the houses. www.myhome.com.au

See the newer houes vs the old, and see what you like.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
yeah, like those NINJA mortgages I've been reading about: No Income, No Job or Assets - FFS

Just seen RAMS share price has halved today.
In yesterdays paper, Quinns was the best selling suburb for the month of June.
I rather like some parts of Quinns.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
In yesterdays paper, Quinns was the best selling suburb for the month of June.
I rather like some parts of Quinns.
Up 22% apparently. I noticed Tapping on the list of biggest losers though, I think it was about 10%. That won't please my mate who bought a block there at the height of the boom.

I have a soft spot for Quinns too, being a member of the surf club there and the close association with the Wanneroo fire brigade of which I'm a member and the Quinns one.

It has a lovely beach
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Away from the beach, up in the hills is very nice, Kalamunda, Lesmurdie, Darlington are all nice suburbs. Kalamunda seems pricey compared to the other two.
Jarrahdale is very nice but a bit further out.
Personally I would avoid Armadale and Seville Grove.
Nothing really to say - I have a private mail and I can't access it until I've posted 3 times!!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bag End Bunch
Nothing really to say - I have a private mail and I can't access it until I've posted 3 times!!
And same again - now I should be able to get my mail!!!