Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth. the north south divide

Wikiposts

Perth. the north south divide

Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth. the north south divide

Originally Posted by vandiemen
Hi Simone,

When we come over to Perth our budget will be around the $200,000 mark too. Have you considered Forrestfield at all, as I remember you saying that you used to live their years ago, and the house prices seem fairly reasonable.

Some of the houses I see on the net are 3-4 bed detached for under $200,000. I don't recall many people saying it was a 'bad' suburb either.
Im just curious as this is a suburb that we are considering so just wondered what your thoughts are on it.

It may be a bit far from Pascals workplace and your workplace too which is maybe why you havent mentioned it.

Van
I have considered it Because it's nice in the foothills.

But, it's too far for Pascal's work. He'd have to take buses and trains(car I will need, to get to Maddington. We could swap(maybe), but, taking a car into the city I just wouldn't want to do. I take one out of the city everyday, and that's already bad enough!!) and the journey time is quite long.
In Thornlie we can find the same sort of prices, and be more central(especially with new trainstation).
Also, Forrestfield isn't bad, but I would class it (just) under Thornlie(well, the parts of Thornlie we're looking at, the river side isn't to flash). That's just going from the limited ammount I've seen(driving around, and on the house websites) though....

Hmmm, it isn't easy, no place is perfect!! :scared:
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:54 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

best part of living south of the city for me personally is the view of the Swan and Canning Rivers driving into work, real nice start to the day, beautiful
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

A close relative of mine lived in Forestfield for around 30 years, gradually she became disillusioned with it as more and more properties were purchased by homeswest and some "problem" tennants were moved in. The moved south into a fantastic home which they built in a gorgeous location, but, she is now looking at buying land in the new release at Forrestfield and moving back, she has discovered that the long commute to her new fab home is too much and she would rather move back to the area that she knows well, warts and all!

Lynn
Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnj
A close relative of mine lived in Forestfield for around 30 years, gradually she became disillusioned with it as more and more properties were purchased by homeswest and some "problem" tennants were moved in. The moved south into a fantastic home which they built in a gorgeous location, but, she is now looking at buying land in the new release at Forrestfield and moving back, she has discovered that the long commute to her new fab home is too much and she would rather move back to the area that she knows well, warts and all!

Lynn
Thanks Lynn and Simone,

It is good to know information like that and im sure we will choose somewhere carefully when we move over.

Cheers

Van
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:58 am
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Do you suffer with flies in the hills? Also, I have heard it is hotter there as you don't get the sea breeze. Is this true?
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Good to hear that your moving here. We have been in Rockingham since Jan 04 and love it. Our kids, 15 and 12 have made lots of friends and have really settled. The town is coming on leaps and bounds and the railway will open early next year bringing Perth only 33 minutes away. The marina plan is being pushed and two of the new apartment blocks on the front are nearly finished and the restaurant scene is alive and well. Hope you get here soon, you'll love it.

Janice and Terry
Old Apr 28th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by delia
Something else new migrants might want to consider are the hills to the south east of Perth, from Kalamunda through to Jarrahdale, and especially Rolystone in the middle of these. I went looking at blocks at Churchmans Brook and the Araluen Resort where you can currently buy a 2000/3000m2 block with city or valley views build a house surrounded by other magnificent homes and not have to worry about listening to your neighbour's tv, for about 450,000 dollars. It sounds a lot, but a decent deposit from the house sale of a 30 something couple from the uk who have been on the property ladder for a few years and it is very achievable. If you saw the areas and the homes, and did the maths, you will then have the lifestyle change I'm sure many people are looking for. I live in the hills myself in a town called Byford and its a lovely place to live, people know me at the shops, the neighbours come and say hello, kids having fun in streets. It's worth a look.
Hi Delia

Have sent you a PM

Theresa