Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - nine months in - Update

Perth - nine months in - Update

Old Nov 26th 2005, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth - nine months in - Update

Well, I have been in two minds whether or not to post an update on here as some of our experiences have been a bit on the negative side (but many are positive) and I'm aware that not everyone wants to hear those

We left the UK with such hope and excitement only for Littlen (18 month old then) and me at 28 weeks pregnant being hospitalised for some time in Singapore. It was probably rotavirus

On arrival we went down south where we had thought we might settle. We loved Dunsbrough/Eagle Bay etc but felt we might have more opportunities on the work front in Perth so came back and rented an Ocean front rental in Ocean Reef. (By the way, even if I won the lottery I wouldn't live Ocean front again cos you get BLOWN away!!) Littlen settled into an excellent daycare centre only to be struck down with illness after illness. Apparently it takes time to adjust to the different bugs over here. If only I had found this site earlier I would have been forewarned! We then caught them from him and so started a 6 month cycle where at least one person in the house was ill.

On the night our furniture was delivered our outdoor table and chairs were stolen by some drunken yobs breaking over the fence into the garden and making a terrible racket, so that wasn't the best.

The experience of having our little Aussie (now 6 months old) in this healthcare system was absolutely excellent. I couldn't fault it.The care and treatment was far and above what I had in the UK. He has a kidney problem and it's been dealt with swiftly and professionally. Mr J also had a nasty accident a few years back and it's taking a long while for him to recover. It's been remarkable that he has CT's and MRI's on the day he is referred for them.

So, what do I like:
Being able to afford a much bigger house for the kids. Big houses aren't everything but they help when you have visitors staying for a month at a time and when it's blowing a hooley the kids have plenty of space to use up all that energy.
The supermarkets are fine if you don't mind cooking everything from scratch.
Beauty and hair treatments are cheaper.
There's nothing I can't get here that I got in England.
The weather.
The wide open spaces.
The knowledge that there is a lot more of Oz to explore.
The acceptance that Aussies are the way they are because they do have a lot to be proud of.
To develop a country to this standard in just over 100 years takes some doing.
OK so the buildings are all modern and no there isn't the same 'culture' but there will be given time. This country is playing a damn fine game of catch-up and Australians are rightly proud of their achievements.
Mr J and I having had LOADS of time together that we wouldn't normally. God I love that man

What I don't like/what I miss:
The upheaval of getting here
Having my bag searched in the shops
Missing friends and not being able to get out much to meet new people when you have two tiny children
The support of family when you have a new baby

In summary, no we haven't settled yet. We left a wonderful life in the UK (gorgeous home, tiny Dorset village, and excellent standard of living) and we have been constantly challenged about whether or not we have done the right thing. I have been ill these past two weeks but I won't go into it as it's similar to what someone else on here has experienced and they got a bit of roasting for whinging about personal problems, so I won't for now. Just be aware that emigrating takes its toll if you have other sh1t happen in your life. Just as you think things are taking a turn for the better old issues can rear their ugly heads.

I'm not sure how things will pan out for us. I have an annoying habit of wanting everything to be 'perfect' when realistically nothing ever is, so I need to 'get over that!'

I've not thought much about this post I just sat down and wrote it, so if it's a bit disjointed I apologise!

Oh nearly forgot.......Mr J has lived in the same place all this life whereas I have led a rather nomadic life. He has definitely found it harder to find his feet in that respect. I know that's been mentioned on here a few times and I would concur.

A massive thanks to all those who have offered help, advice and support thoughout this (sometimes) difficult process

Disclaimer: these are only my thoughts/views/opinions.

Last edited by Wave the Sails; Nov 26th 2005 at 4:09 am.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:08 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - nine months in - Update

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
So, what do I like:
Being able to afford a much bigger house for the kids. Big houses aren't everything but they help when you have visitors staying for a month at a time and when it's blowing a hooley the kids have plenty of space to use up all that energy.
The weather.
The wide open spaces.
The acceptance that Aussies are the way they are because they do have a lot to be proud of.
OK so the buildings are all modern and no there isn't the same 'culture' but there will be given time. This country is playing a damn fine game of catch-up and Australians are rightly proud of their achievements.
Mr J and I having had LOADS of time together that we wouldn't normally. God I love that man

Missing friends and not being able to get out much to meet new people when you have two tiny children
Actually a very good list of likes and dislikes! I think the primary things which anyone has a difficulty as above concerns the process of moving and settling outside our familar comfort zones, not necessarily anything unique to Australia. The distance from faces, both family and friends - being uncertain on how things work, and starting a new life from scratch. These are all the daunting things.

I'm glad your settling in well and enjoying yourself though and thanks for sharing those thoughts. It could be worse - it could be snowing
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have been in two minds whether or not to post an update on here as some of our experiences have been a bit on the negative side (but many are positive) and I'm aware that not everyone wants to hear those

We left the UK with such hope and excitement only for Littlen (18 month old then) and me at 28 weeks pregnant being hospitalised for some time in Singapore. It was probably rotavirus

On arrival we went down south where we had thought we might settle. We loved Dunsbrough/Eagle Bay etc but felt we might have more opportunities on the work front in Perth so came back and rented an Ocean front rental in Ocean Reef. (By the way, even if I won the lottery I wouldn't live Ocean front again cos you get BLOWN away!!) Littlen settled into an excellent daycare centre only to be struck down with illness after illness. Apparently it takes time to adjust to the different bugs over here. If only I had found this site earlier I would have been forewarned! We then caught them from him and so started a 6 month cycle where at least one person in the house was ill.

On the night our furniture was delivered our outdoor table and chairs were stolen by some drunken yobs breaking over the fence into the garden and making a terrible racket, so that wasn't the best.

The experience of having our little Aussie (now 6 months old) in this healthcare system was absolutely excellent. I couldn't fault it.The care and treatment was far and above what I had in the UK. He has a kidney problem and it's been dealt with swiftly and professionally. Mr J also had a nasty accident a few years back and it's taking a long while for him to recover. It's been remarkable that he has CT's and MRI's on the day he is referred for them.

So, what do I like:
The weather.
The wide open spaces.

In summary, no we haven't settled yet. We left a wonderful life in the UK (gorgeous home, tiny Dorset village, and excellent standard of living) and we have been constantly challenged about whether or not we have done the right thing. I have been ill these past two weeks but I won't go into it as it's similar to what someone else on here has experienced and they got a bit of roasting for whinging about personal problems, so I won't for now. Just be aware that emigrating takes its toll if you have other sh1t happen in your life. Just as you think things are taking a turn for the better old issues can rear their ugly heads.

I'm not sure how things will pan out for us. I have an annoying habit of wanting everything to be 'perfect' when realistically nothing ever is, so I need to 'get over that!'

I've not thought much about this post I just sat down and wrote it, so if it's a bit disjointed I apologise!

Oh nearly forgot.......Mr J has lived in the same place all this life whereas I have led a rather nomadic life. He has definitely found it harder to find his feet in that respect. I know that's been mentioned on here a few times and I would concur.

A massive thanks to all those who have offered help, advice and support thoughout this (sometimes) difficult process

Disclaimer: these are only my thoughts/views/opinions.
Nice story, and what a beautiful place you live in.
I expect it would be difficult, having babies and not having family around you, i always had my mum and dad, and sisters to help.
And my older kids who where great with the little one.
My kids did suffer badly with the insect bits up until recently, but seem to be handling them better now.
Dorset. a lovely place, we have family there [Davids brother], but never got to visit, wish we had,
I dont like my bag searched either, a bit intrusive.
Your children being so young has probably been easier, you dont have to worry about them making friends like you do when they are older[ although you probably will worry anyway as we mums do.
As for everything being perfect, yes i was accused years ago, of wanting to live in an ideal world, well dont we all , although it is not reality.
All the very best to your family, hope you make it work here as it is a beautiful place. Denise xx
Old Nov 26th 2005, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

How refreshing(!) Makes a change from the usual 'deny all - give no credit' attitude of many Poms.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Perth - nine months in - Update

Hear, hear!

Very well said, and I am delighted to know that you're enjoing your new life in my home state!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:06 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

What a great start to a new life.......how boring would it be with no ups and downs

Only hope our move to Perth is as good

Gillian
Old Nov 26th 2005, 9:27 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Hear, hear!

Very well said, and I am delighted to know that you're enjoing your new life in my home state!
.....and what better place to be than Iluka.

We looked around the place two and a half years ago when alot of it was still being built. Could not believe how tasteful the architecture was, the beautiful landscaping everywhere with parks, fountains mixed with natural bush. You're also a knats cock to the beach and 20 minutes from the CBD.

Different world, and if we'd been ready to settle then, Iluka is where we would have bought. Problem is, two and a half years on, we're ready to settle but can't bloody afford to live there.

Shit happens.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Thankyou for taking the time to do a very realistic post, i can relate to most of your likes and dislikes.
Like someone else said must be very hard having new baby out here and not having family around you.
I no exactly what you mean about seeing more of hubby tho...we went from working opposite shifts to now working together and love every minute of it!!
Hope you begin to feel more settled soon
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madhouse!
Thankyou for taking the time to do a very realistic post, i can relate to most of your likes and dislikes.
Like someone else said must be very hard having new baby out here and not having family around you.
I no exactly what you mean about seeing more of hubby tho...we went from working opposite shifts to now working together and love every minute of it!!
Hope you begin to feel more settled soon
Great post. Have you considered joining the Ocean Reef Sea Sports Club? it's a good place for a sundowner and a few drinks. Good crowd of people.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Great post. Have you considered joining the Ocean Reef Sea Sports Club? it's a good place for a sundowner and a few drinks. Good crowd of people.
And I just know that in your oh so subtle way you are offering to babysit - what a bloke

Seriously, we would love to. Maybe I should set up a babysitting service as there's a real dearth round here. Don't mind teenagers but not for really little ones.

How do we join? Phone up? Was about to say hubby into Watersports but it could be misconstrued
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:49 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Babysitting service - cheers Stef! Can you also handle two puppies along with our five?
I'm with Lewis on house affordability though - we're still trying to reconcile wanting to live next to the beach with not being able to afford it!
I s'pose I'd better post an update soon - we've been here six and a half months.

PS I was walking the pups tonight around the park next to Beaumaris school when there was an almighty flash and thunder clap. You could actually hear it starting and I actually hit the deck before the main flash and bang. It took me five minutes to hunt the doggies down in the dark - not suprisingly they'd scarpered.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nice

Thanks for posting Mrs J. Its nice to get an honest view of peoples first few months. Its good to hear the good and the bad I think.

Hope everything just gets better and better for you. we hope to be over in Perth early next year so if you are interested we could meet up for a coffee and a chat. I know what its like to be at home with little 'uns!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

What a lovely post . I can't imagine how difficult it must be to cope with a baby and a tiny child without the usual family etc around. I don't think you sound negative at all, if you couldn't find negatives there would be something wrong with you! Sorry you've had to deal with the stress of so much illness, that can really bring you down . I hope things get on an even keel soon and you can start to enjoy all that Aus has to offer. I hadn't heard much about Iluka before, but after these gorgeous descriptions I'm off to see if I can find out any more about it . I could add it to my (ever growing) list of suburbs to check out when we're in Perth next week . Certainly if there's going to be a babysitting service available then it would be a strong contender .

All the best for a happy future.
TJ
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
What a lovely post . I can't imagine how difficult it must be to cope with a baby and a tiny child without the usual family etc around. I don't think you sound negative at all, if you couldn't find negatives there would be something wrong with you! Sorry you've had to deal with the stress of so much illness, that can really bring you down . I hope things get on an even keel soon and you can start to enjoy all that Aus has to offer. I hadn't heard much about Iluka before, but after these gorgeous descriptions I'm off to see if I can find out any more about it . I could add it to my (ever growing) list of suburbs to check out when we're in Perth next week . Certainly if there's going to be a babysitting service available then it would be a strong contender .

All the best for a happy future.
TJ
Well if you want to pop in and have a squiz/cuppa let me know!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pauline & Iain
Thanks for posting Mrs J. Its nice to get an honest view of peoples first few months. Its good to hear the good and the bad I think.

Hope everything just gets better and better for you. we hope to be over in Perth early next year so if you are interested we could meet up for a coffee and a chat. I know what its like to be at home with little 'uns!!!!
Yes we woud love to - coffee I mean. Just PM me....

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.