Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - nine months in - Update

Perth - nine months in - Update

Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Perth - nine months in - Update

Dear Mrs J,
I love reading posts like yours- honest ones that I can relate too.

We are moving out at the beginning of April, I have a daughter who is 7 and a baby who is 7 months. I am really worried about being us being stuck at home in the evenings because have having a little un and cant go to the pub, restuarant, etc and also about the picking up bugs...

I would love to know how you are getting on, are places welcoming, have you looked into babysitters?

Even if I'm not moving near to where you live it would be great to stay in touch, to know that there is someone awake at the same time as me doing similar things- if that makes sense?!!

Take Care, Donna x
Old Nov 27th 2005, 12:28 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - nine months in - Update

Originally Posted by dh1905
Dear Mrs J,
I love reading posts like yours- honest ones that I can relate too.

We are moving out at the beginning of April, I have a daughter who is 7 and a baby who is 7 months. I am really worried about being us being stuck at home in the evenings because have having a little un and cant go to the pub, restuarant, etc and also about the picking up bugs...

I would love to know how you are getting on, are places welcoming, have you looked into babysitters?

Even if I'm not moving near to where you live it would be great to stay in touch, to know that there is someone awake at the same time as me doing similar things- if that makes sense?!!

Take Care, Donna x
At risk of hijacking someone elses thread I just thought I would give you our experience so far. Apart from one day my daughter was sent home from school ill (getting used to the heat) none of us have been ill in nearly 6 weeks so far.

You will need to adjust your lifestyle re evenings I have found. The English model of a boozer within walking distance of most houses just doesn't apply. If you are like us you don't have anyone to have the kids anyway. I would say that your most likely options are to go out for a meal as a family at the weekend (kids are welcome). The other thing is make a circle of friends and go around to each others houses for BBQ's. Doing things as a family is definitely the norm.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

We are planning to leave for Perth in late June or early July. We have three kids 10 (on Nov.27) 7 and 5, and I never really thought about them getting more colds and flu's. It makes perfect sense though, as they wouldn't have immunity for the aussie bugs. Thanks for the heads up. Great information on the good and not so good aspects of living in Perth, it helps to be prepared for some of the problems that might come our way.

Nicanjoe
Old Nov 27th 2005, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Jones family, I'm glad you're settling in well, it all takes time.
Take care
Larissa
Old Nov 27th 2005, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=worzel]At risk of hijacking someone elses thread I just thought I would give you our experience so far. Apart from one day my daughter was sent home from school ill (getting used to the heat) none of us have been ill in nearly 6 weeks so far.

I think the major contributory factor to the illness was the winter weather. Let's hope next year isn't too bad and I'm sure you and yours will be fine X
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
At risk of hijacking someone elses thread I just thought I would give you our experience so far. Apart from one day my daughter was sent home from school ill (getting used to the heat) none of us have been ill in nearly 6 weeks so far.

You will need to adjust your lifestyle re evenings I have found. The English model of a boozer within walking distance of most houses just doesn't apply. If you are like us you don't have anyone to have the kids anyway. I would say that your most likely options are to go out for a meal as a family at the weekend (kids are welcome). The other thing is make a circle of friends and go around to each others houses for BBQ's. Doing things as a family is definitely the norm.
Thanks for that reply. We dont really have childcare here in the UK, so hopefully thats one less thing for us to get used to! We are used to doing everything ourselves.
We do tend to go out for family meals here,and get together with friends so thats what we aim to do when in Oz, good to know they welcome the kids in the restuarants, etc.
Hoping (better had!!) we will make a circle of friends, and that will give us more to do aswell ! Hubby is into diving and sports, so thinking of joining a sports club too.

I've already met a few people on this site which makes me feel a lot better about moving away, looking forward to meeting them in the flesh! Hopefully I will be on here reporting in a few months all going well

Donna x
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh1905
Thanks for that reply. We dont really have childcare here in the UK, so hopefully thats one less thing for us to get used to! We are used to doing everything ourselves.
We do tend to go out for family meals here,and get together with friends so thats what we aim to do when in Oz, good to know they welcome the kids in the restuarants, etc.
Hoping (better had!!) we will make a circle of friends, and that will give us more to do aswell ! Hubby is into diving and sports, so thinking of joining a sports club too.

I've already met a few people on this site which makes me feel a lot better about moving away, looking forward to meeting them in the flesh! Hopefully I will be on here reporting in a few months all going well

Donna x
My hubby also into diving, apparently there are some good dive sites nearby but the shark tales are a bit too close for comfort
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
My hubby also into diving, apparently there are some good dive sites nearby but the shark tales are a bit too close for comfort
what shark tales :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by don544
dddd dddd :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

I didnt want to ask!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:47 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

munch munch
great whites out by rockingham
yum yum

actually divers are really safe when in the water as sharks see you as just another fish. the problem comes when you are on the water (eg surfer or swimmer or surfacing diver) as sharks then see you as prey - eg seals...... :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:02 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
And I just know that in your oh so subtle way you are offering to babysit - what a bloke

Seriously, we would love to. Maybe I should set up a babysitting service as there's a real dearth round here. Don't mind teenagers but not for really little ones.

How do we join? Phone up? Was about to say hubby into Watersports but it could be misconstrued
You can take the kids, it's very child friendly. Anyway, it used to be called the Whitfords Sea Sports Club and here's the link:

http://www.wssc.asn.au/
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:20 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You can take the kids, it's very child friendly. Anyway, it used to be called the Whitfords Sea Sports Club and here's the link:

http://www.wssc.asn.au/
Great post Mrs J

Renth, is that avatar you have the lead singer out of the group 'Thirsty Merc'?
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Great post Mrs J

Renth, is that avatar you have the lead singer out of the group 'Thirsty Merc'?

Dear God, no!

It's the late, great, Frank Zappa.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Dear God, no!

It's the late, great, Frank Zappa.
There is a resemblance though!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.