Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth or melbourne

perth or melbourne

Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:30 am
beetroot67

jeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nice
Default perth or melbourne

hello everyone,supposed to be coming over this september,just wondering how the construction industry is in aus is going,has it gone down the toilet as it has in britian.i have been a joiner for over 25 years but here in britianat the moment work is pretty thin on the ground.my other half says she will come to aus but only when everything is in place.house no problem,car no problem,the only concern that i have is the job.i have looked at all the job sites and there seems to be plenty of jobs on offer but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks nick
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: perth or melbourne

Originally Posted by jeanettetlw
hello everyone,supposed to be coming over this september,just wondering how the construction industry is in aus is going,has it gone down the toilet as it has in britian.i have been a joiner for over 25 years but here in britianat the moment work is pretty thin on the ground.my other half says she will come to aus but only when everything is in place.house no problem,car no problem,the only concern that i have is the job.i have looked at all the job sites and there seems to be plenty of jobs on offer but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks nick
You've correctly identified that the decider on which city you're going to live in is decided by where you can earn an income, and everything else is less important than that.

The construction industry in Melbourne is apparently on a downward turn, however every tradie I know is flat out with too much work, so at the coal face it seems fine.

Not sure about the same industry in Perth, it is of course a smaller market.

BB
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:59 am
beetroot67

jeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nicejeanettetlw is just really nice
Default Re: perth or melbourne

well thats thats then,looks like melbourne here i come,if anyone can help,i would like to know where to rent for 6 months and if anyone con help what are the wages for a carpenter,i have looked and it seems to be about 35 dollars an hour,is that right thanks for any information
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

well thats thats then,looks like melbourne here i come,if anyone can help,i would like to know where to rent for 6 months and if anyone con help what are the wages for a carpenter,i have looked and it seems to be about 35 dollars an hour,is that right thanks for any information
You're not basing it on one post are you

That post could have just as easily been someone from Perth telling you how perths unemployment rate is lower than Melbourne's

I assume I have misunderstood what you meant by "well thats that then"
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:20 am

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

You said you've looked at various job sites, I would say look at what areas they are in if they are spread out east, west, north south then start researching suburbs and the sort of areas you like, if you do a search on here you can find info on recommended suburbs.
To be honest I have to say one persons great suburb coudl be anothers nightmare so ideally you want to have a reccie out to Melbourne if thats where you decide to go (I have friends in Perth who love it there so don't rule out if there is work there) - I know this isn't always possible, and if not look at holiday accomodation for a couple of months on first arrival so you can have a bit of time looking into suburbs and allow you time to get your foot in thedoor on a rental.
It can be a bit of a scrum on the rental front and you could be in competition with other people for the same property.
No one else can really tell you what suburb or what house to go for though as only you will know what you like.

I could list you several suburbs in Melbourne that I PERSONALLY like but I don't really feel that would be helpful I feel you would be best off taking it a step at a time and only doing what you can within your limits and being blunt until you get out there you are greatly limited as often employers won't even consider you until you live in the country or worse the state or area they are in as when they want to book and interview they want to SEE you.

Look into posts on your field of work or maybe you'll get another person from your trade who can give you an idea of how the job differs from the UK and if there are any other training you may need to do to work in Oz.

I wish you the best of luck
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:24 am
beetroot67

really i would like as much info as poss employment is roughly the same and i suppose if i go to melbourne and it goes belly up i might have to go to perth so i expect to be doing a lot more research and drinking more coffee
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The construction industry in Melbourne is apparently on a downward turn, however every tradie I know is flat out with too much work, so at the coal face it seems fine.
We just did a bathroom reno and had absolutely no issues getting a tradie to come at short notice - they came recommended and seemed to be known and have a good reputation among trade contacts we spoke to. Also have found it easy to get various other tradies around without much notice.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:04 am
beetroot67

if you can get someone to turn up at short notice seems it seems to say they have little work on but i mean i could be wrong so more keyboard crunching i think
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:39 am

Try and catch the eye on here of some from your trade in Perth and Melbourne and see what they say ?

Also maybe worth asking an agency altho I think they can be a bit liberal with the truth sometimes... my hubby has ben in contact with Hayes.

You can't really start planning anything until you're practically are or ARE there though I think you'll find. Are you in a position whereby you've sold the house or lease is almost up could you be over there in a month? Perhaps these are questions you should be asking yourself too.

As a good job that might be there now is highly unlikely to wait for you to sell up and get out there
Old Jul 8th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

definetly go melbourne. I have lived in adelaide and perth for the last 6 years and have come to the same conclusion most people do. Perth is to quiet and theres just not much to do and not much going on here.

When I was in adelaide there was always something happening every weekend, lots to do but I hear melbourne is a lot better. It has the beauty of perth and the things to do of adelaide combined. I havent met anyone who has a bad thing to say about melb, but perth on the other hand, well just do a search for the words 'boring perth' and you will see.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dave99
definetly go melbourne. I have lived in adelaide and perth for the last 6 years and have come to the same conclusion most people do. Perth is to quiet and theres just not much to do and not much going on here.

When I was in adelaide there was always something happening every weekend, lots to do but I hear melbourne is a lot better. It has the beauty of perth and the things to do of adelaide combined. I havent met anyone who has a bad thing to say about melb, but perth on the other hand, well just do a search for the words 'boring perth' and you will see.
But they might like that? whats boring to you might be a pretty good life for others, I know some happy Perthies that don't find it boring there at all
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:28 pm
beetroot67

so whats the work in construction like in perth
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensanco
But they might like that? whats boring to you might be a pretty good life for others, I know some happy Perthies that don't find it boring there at all
I agree...sure give your opinion on how a city suits you but "definetly go melbourne" does not make sense when you don't know the OP.

Many people would prefer Perths access to good beaches with the weather to use them, cheaper housing close to Perth, lower unemployment, far less traffic, cleaner, safer, small town feel etc. Like always it comes down to your own personal priorities.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

so whats the work in construction like in perth
Housing is on its knees now. However this could all change really quickly as the mining and gas boom gets underway properly later this year/early next and more people relocate to Perth.

Skyscraper construction is booming, as are civil and public works. North of the state there a several multiple billion dollar resource projects coming into construction phase.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:44 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I have lived in adelaide and perth for the last 6 years and have come to the same conclusion most people do. Perth is to quiet and theres just not much to do and not much going on here.
Wow. As sweeping generalizations go that's a cracker. I agree in many ways Melbourne has more to offer than Perth but to say most come to same conclusion is baseless. Statistics show WA continues to grow faster than anywhere else in Australia. If it were so awful not so many would be coming. Interestingly second fastest growth is Canberra which also gets bad press anyway thats off topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.