Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:12 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

Originally Posted by Ransi
Sooo glad to hear that there's gonna be some chelsea fans out there cos hubby and son (12) are FANATICS! And son dont wanna go! Help :scared:

My 12 yr old daughter who, like her father is a Spurs fan, generally wants to come but does get down sometimes about leaving her family and friends. However the thought of "all those fit guys on the beach" swings it for her
Girls can be so shallow, not that I'm totally with her on this one
I don't want to shatter the illusion by telling her that teenagers are spotty the world over :scared:
Gillian
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:22 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We went to Perth on a reccie in Jan/Feb this year and looked at a couple of houses in Ocean Reef.

This is the "beach side" of Marmion Road - the main road through the Northern suburbs. It was a very picturesque burb, the only issue we had with is was the fact that the houses were a lot more expensive than those the "other side" of marmion and - and this was the big AND for us - to get to a primary school you would have to cross a very busy dual carriageway.

Our eldest is 7 and will soon want to exert his independance, and I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with him crossing the road on his own. We really loved Connolly and Currambine - both the "other" side of marmion and less expensive.

Good luck!

Jules
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:12 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
My 12 yr old daughter who, like her father is a Spurs fan, generally wants to come but does get down sometimes about leaving her family and friends. However the thought of "all those fit guys on the beach" swings it for her
Girls can be so shallow, not that I'm totally with her on this one
I don't want to shatter the illusion by telling her that teenagers are spotty the world over :scared:
Gillian
HEY..

SME.. my partner and my family (exept 4 me)adore chelsea(i dont like footie) have to hook up whenin oz pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:38 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Anybody's view on ellenbrook?? thanks
I have had a good look round Ellenbrook mainly due to the houses being cheaper, its quite a nice looking subburb, I can easily do it in 20mins from Padbry and its right by Whiteman park which is good for the mad cycle buffs out there and it has a wildlife park which if you get the annual ticket makes a good place to have the odd picnic or lunch.

The only criticism I have on Ellenbrook its a bit like the Stepford wives and your kids will have to be found a high school which will accept them as its a bit out the way.

Jenny
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:24 am
letsgoperth.com.au

You have had some interesting and diverse answers here!

It is worth noting that Roy Weston just released projected figures of a 40% growth within next two years in Perth in coastal suburbs - interestingly they mentioned Padbury was probably the most undervalued suburb. You will always get the people saying wait to buy - and I expect they have been saying that for quite a few years and seen quite a few price hikes!

I live in Iluka - it's a lovely place and yes not a lot here but it will come. The Dewsons at Beamaris is small but to be honest what supermarket in Aus is that great? Even Sydney doesn't compare to the UK you can't replace Tescos I'm afraid. That said it's different and you get used to it. I cycle to Mullaloo everyday from Burns Beach along the coastal path and you can't buy that kind of start to the day! As far as house prices not going up here - I'll tell my friend who has seen her land value double in the last three years on Burns Beach Road - go figure?? Next year they are going to be developing the bush at Burns Beach at the end of Iluka. Rumour has it that blocks are going to start at $500k and the land currently being developed in Iluka which locals call 'The Ridge' as it's perched up - well funnily enough on a ridge opposite Burns Beach - everything around it is being sold first apparently so that should go for a song.....I hope these doom and goom merchants are right about house prices I'll be the first in the queue to purchase one of the blocks at rock bottom prices LOL

Maxine

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi,

We went to Perth on a reccie in Jan/Feb this year and looked at a couple of houses in Ocean Reef.

This is the "beach side" of Marmion Road - the main road through the Northern suburbs. It was a very picturesque burb, the only issue we had with is was the fact that the houses were a lot more expensive than those the "other side" of marmion and - and this was the big AND for us - to get to a primary school you would have to cross a very busy dual carriageway.

Our eldest is 7 and will soon want to exert his independance, and I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with him crossing the road on his own. We really loved Connolly and Currambine - both the "other" side of marmion and less expensive.

Good luck!

Jules

I'm sure they have pedestrian underpasses for those dual carraigeways but i could be wrong,maybe someone could correct me on that?.....
Lynn
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:37 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
HEY..

SME.. my partner and my family (exept 4 me)adore chelsea(i dont like footie) have to hook up whenin oz pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Looking foward to it already......them beers are in the fridge
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:43 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi,

Good luck!

Jules
I don't really know if I'm willing to pay more for beachside living - I may change my mind when we get there. We have friends in Mindarie who love it. I'm going to keep an open mind.
Schools are a big factor to me , kids are currently in Catholic ed., we need to decide if thats what we're going to continue with. There's a catholic primary in Currambine and secondary in Edgewater, its so hard to know what to do as I don't want to move them too many times from schools and homes.
Gillian
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:02 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jensteve

The only criticism I have on Ellenbrook its a bit like the Stepford wives and your kids will have to be found a high school which will accept them as its a bit out the way.

Jenny

Lol

I compared Ellenbrook to "The Truman Show' can you remember the film with Jim Carey!!! Everyone looking and wanting to know what you're up to!!!

CONTROL...Thats what they want in Ellenbrook!!!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:25 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

any body????!!!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
I'm sure they have pedestrian underpasses for those dual carraigeways but i could be wrong,maybe someone could correct me on that?.....
Lynn
No, they don't! They have pedestrian crossings @ the major intersections and that's all. Those major intersections being where the major East/West roads intersect Marmion Ave which runs N/S. Those East/West roads, also dual carriageways, are spaced about 3 - 5 km apart.

Try to visualise that you are not coming to a densely populated area like England with lots of sunshine. Perth is built on the premise of private vehicles. The Public Transport is good but only during peak hours, although they thave the beginnings of a great railway system.

Go to http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=24385 (PhotoPost/Ialibu) there are 3 images there.

1 is a West Australia Property Scan from about April last year giving property values and proximity from Perth.
2 is an image that I took of Mullaloo
3 is a video that I took of Mullaloo
Please forgive the video quality, I took it as a pax in an RAAF training flight with a Sony Mavica which saves to floppy. One of the advantages to a job that I was doing :-)

The still of the beach shows Mullaloo beach and how crowded it is :-))
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
Lynn
No, they don't! They have pedestrian crossings @ the major intersections and that's all. Those major intersections being where the major East/West roads intersect Marmion Ave which runs N/S. Those East/West roads, also dual carriageways, are spaced about 3 - 5 km apart.

Try to visualise that you are not coming to a densely populated area like England with lots of sunshine. Perth is built on the premise of private vehicles. The Public Transport is good but only during peak hours, although they thave the beginnings of a great railway system.

Go to http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=24385 (PhotoPost/Ialibu) there are 3 images there.

1 is a West Australia Property Scan from about April last year giving property values and proximity from Perth.
2 is an image that I took of Mullaloo
3 is a video that I took of Mullaloo
Please forgive the video quality, I took it as a pax in an RAAF training flight with a Sony Mavica which saves to floppy. One of the advantages to a job that I was doing :-)

The still of the beach shows Mullaloo beach and how crowded it is :-))
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:30 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Us too. Anyone dare comment on whether we will all raise or lower the tone of the area?
If you insist on drinking VB you will definitely lower the tone of the place.
Most coastal and river and northern suburbs are ok. there are threads if you dig a bit deeper listing all this stuff.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:33 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
I don't really know if I'm willing to pay more for beachside living - I may change my mind when we get there. We have friends in Mindarie who love it. I'm going to keep an open mind.
Schools are a big factor to me , kids are currently in Catholic ed., we need to decide if thats what we're going to continue with. There's a catholic primary in Currambine and secondary in Edgewater, its so hard to know what to do as I don't want to move them too many times from schools and homes.
Gillian
Currambine and Edgewater are only a few stops away from each other on the same train line. Suggest you check a map of perth book to find the schools actual locations in thses suburbs but most would ahve buses that meet the trains I would think
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

We live in Currambine and our 2 older kids go to the primary school (not the Catholic one) It's a large school but still has a good feel to it. They are both happy there and have settled in really quickly. Although alot has been said on here about academic standards in Australia I am happy with what they have been doing - but I suspect that just like the UK there will be good schools and bad schools and within those there will be good teachers and bad teachers here also.
My hubby has just started a new job teaching at Kinross College. They call it a middle school here but my understanding is that it's not the equivalent of a UK middle school. It goes up to the equivalent of GCSE year then the last 2 years of school (if they stay on) they go to Mindarie High. It has a good reputation and he has nothing but good things to say about the school and the kids (well, most of them )
We had a short term rental in Connolly when we first moved here. It's also a nice suburb and I've also heard the Primary school there is a good one. Jacko1 lives in Ellenbrook and loves it. Don't know if he still posts here. You could try PMing him.
Sorry can't help much with any info on the Catholic schools.
Yvonne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.