Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:55 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

Originally Posted by Didnaeseeu
My plan is to rent in one of these areas for 6 months lower the tone to bring down house prices then grab a bargain

Just hope I get there before you do or youll lose a fortune

What a great idea - we could rent enmasse, make out we're a load of pikeys in "social housing".....then grab a bargain
Gillian
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Talking Re: Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

I'm goin over in Nov to suss out these exact areas plus Currumbine,Kinross and Woodvale, so I'll let you know how I get on.....

I'm not rich or poor,nor a snob or slob but somewhere in the middle ! ...so i should give you a fairly unbiased view.......

Lynn
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:09 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
I'm goin over in Nov to suss out these exact areas plus Currumbine,Kinross and Woodvale, so I'll let you know how I get on.....

I'm not rich or poor,nor a snob or slob but somewhere in the middle ! ...so i should give you a fairly unbiased view.......

Lynn
I am all of the above plus a few more . I'm hoping to be over there before then (fingers crossed)........we could be neighbours
Gillian
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sme
I am all of the above plus a few more . I'm hoping to be over there before then (fingers crossed)........we could be neighbours
Gillian

will you be there on a reccie or perm?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

I live in Currambine and have done for 9 months we bought a house for 340,000. its a lovley area right near joondalup golf course which is a must to play cost you 99 buck with a cart. 1 thing to remember is be on the right side of the freeway meaning the coast side house prices are a little more expensive but increase in value. 2ndley they are extending the freeway up to burns beach road so if your going to buy or live north make sure your not going to be right next to were there going to extend it. 3rdly kinross is a little more cheaper but that is prob because of tamarla park which is a rubish dump north of kinross. If you can afford to live there iluka is the best place, loads of pommes but prices start from 450,000 but it is right next to the sea. also mindarie is worth a look at its only about 5 min drive from joondalup and has a nice harbour with fantastic houses good schools etc, also connally is a nice area if your looking for cheaper houses have a look at caramar
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:37 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

As someone who has been here for ten months, and originally planned to go to Ocean Reef, I am probably in a good position to help on this one.

We came over two years ago, and loved Ocean Reef, Hillarys and Kallaroo. After returning on a permanent basis, we realised after a while, that there is literally nothing at Ocean Reef.................and I mean NOTHING, even the supermarkets shelves were almost empty, all of them!! and its only a small supermarket similar in size to a late shop in the UK, a fraction of the size of an Asda or Tesco. After six months of looking we eventually bought in Kallaroo, as it is without doubt the nicest area, and has the advantage of being 2 miles from Hillarys boat harbour, where there is loads to do, and plenty of places to eat. Hillarys is nice too, but I cant see past Kallaroo.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ransi
Any body with any information on living in these areas.
I am interested in all topics.
Were hoping to go in 8 - 10 months to north perth..35,30,12 & 10.
Thanks
try this for comparison

Edgewater
http://www.reiwa.com.au/content-subu...fm?Stats_ID=59

Joondalup
http://www.reiwa.com.au/content-subu...fm?Stats_ID=88

Ocean Reef
http://www.reiwa.com.au/content-subu...m?Stats_ID=147

It's only a rule of thumb about being on the right (west) side of the freeway
there're are plenty of exceptions the the rule.

Woodvale being one that comes to mind vs Beldon, Craige just to name a few.

rent before u buy to find out if the suburb suits you, and the schools are in the right catchment area (unless you go to private school)

good luck

Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sandradee
As someone who has been here for ten months, and originally planned to go to Ocean Reef, I am probably in a good position to help on this one.

We came over two years ago, and loved Ocean Reef, Hillarys and Kallaroo. After returning on a permanent basis, we realised after a while, that there is literally nothing at Ocean Reef.................and I mean NOTHING, even the supermarkets shelves were almost empty, all of them!! and its only a small supermarket similar in size to a late shop in the UK, a fraction of the size of an Asda or Tesco. After six months of looking we eventually bought in Kallaroo, as it is without doubt the nicest area, and has the advantage of being 2 miles from Hillarys boat harbour, where there is loads to do, and plenty of places to eat. Hillarys is nice too, but I cant see past Kallaroo.
Yep, we are in Kallaroo, I agree this is the nicest area IMO, daft prices down at Sorrento and Hillarys at the moment. Ocean Reef is nice and still affordable for coast living they are going to be investing in the harbour over the next 2 years so that should increase the things to do factor.

If you are waiting for the freeway extention then I doubt that will happen within the next 5 years. Burns beach is overhyped 'invest quickly before they go up' rubbish and to be avoided as is Iluka (where finished houses are selling for less than the land and cost of build combined).

My advice is to RENT in a decent school catchment area, get the kids settled then look at where suits you all best to buy, I would wait too before buying anywhere until you have a grasp on what property prices are doing. I personally think they are too volatile.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ransi
Any body with any information on living in these areas.
I am interested in all topics.
Were hoping to go in 8 - 10 months to north perth..35,30,12 & 10.
Thanks

Hi, we live near Joondalup.......Kinross to be exact. Slightly further North, but alovely little suburb. Thats me, mick, Toby (17), Jake (13) and Lampard (named after Frank), the boxer aged 6 months!!!!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:14 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Another point to consider is where would you be working? If your self employed, or probably a tradesman you can live just about anywhere, but what happens if you end up getting work south of the river?
Its worthwhile debating on your profession and where you would likely to end up working.
We are in Padbury which is an ok place to live, we have bought further north though and am now in the position of having a hubby who works past the airport and possibly me also south, which of course has a knock on effect on our cost of living with petrol etc.
It worth thinking about plus schools, as the public ones do tend to have strict areas they abide to and the fee paying schools mostly have huge waiting lists.
I would think though that all the suburbs you mentioned though are fairly good, you hear good and bad everywhere but personal taste has to come into it somewhere along the line.
Jenny
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:56 pm
sme
......in the sand !

Thanks for all the locals who took the time to reply to this thread
We will be renting at first so will have a good nose around and sort out work - I'm a nurse so can be a bit flexiable as to where I'm going to be based. I particularly like the sound of edgewater, even though it may be on the wrong side of the tracks but I'm a bit of a wrong side of the tracks type of gal .
Look foward to meeting one and all in Perth but particularly the Chelsea fans amongst us......I've spotted you
Gillian - ex share holder of the best team in the Northern Hemispere.....sorry change that .....THE WORLD
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Anybody's view on ellenbrook?? thanks
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: Perth..Joondalup..Ocean Reef..Edgewater

My advice is to RENT in a decent school catchment area, get the kids settled then look at where suits you all best to buy, I would wait too before buying anywhere until you have a grasp on what property prices are doing. I personally think they are too volatile.[/QUOTE]

What schools would you say are a decent one/s and where are they,having a trip in nov and need some tips on good schools.
Do you know about schools in the areas mentioned?
Which highschool does kids go to if they are in Currumbine,can't workout if it would be Kinross,Clarkson or Ocean Reef?

Lynn
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:33 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Anybody's view on ellenbrook?? thanks
I lived in Ellenbrook for about a year. it's lovely. It has three really good primary schools but no high school (as yet) There was a large shopping complex being built when we left not sure how far they have got with it? but before this there was a small shopping centre which was ok. Ellenbrook is about 20 min drive to the larger shopping centres and about 25-30 min to the coast.

It's got a lovely forest and the kangeroos come out at night! In the summer though unless you have aircon the temp can be at least 10c hotter than the coast!! Which may not sound much but believe me it makes all the difference.

You have the Swan Valley (wine/vine country) right on your doorstep there with some fabulous country restaurants and a good pub!!

Not sure if I'd pick Ellenbrook if I had to choose again but money was tight and we bought a nice house in a nice area (no hoons ) for a nice price.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:48 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Thanks for all the locals who took the time to reply to this thread
We will be renting at first so will have a good nose around and sort out work - I'm a nurse so can be a bit flexiable as to where I'm going to be based. I particularly like the sound of edgewater, even though it may be on the wrong side of the tracks but I'm a bit of a wrong side of the tracks type of gal .
Look foward to meeting one and all in Perth but particularly the Chelsea fans amongst us......I've spotted you
Gillian - ex share holder of the best team in the Northern Hemispere.....sorry change that .....THE WORLD
Sooo glad to hear that there's gonna be some chelsea fans out there cos hubby and son (12) are FANATICS! And son dont wanna go! Help :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.