Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth House Prices Cooling?

Perth House Prices Cooling?

Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth House Prices Cooling?

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I live in a crime free (ish) area in the UK, I have a nice 4 bed detached. I'd be loathed to move into a worse situation. We are planning on being over there in the new year so I will have to monitor the situation and start looking at likely suburbs.

What a nightmare!

You can check the prices on www.realestate.com.au

If you ignore the higher end suburbs (such as Cottesloe) and the lower end and focus on the middle order suburbs you will get a fairly good comparison of prices.

Areas that I know about which I would consider middle order would be Duncraig, Carine, Ocean Reef, Joondalup, You can see that at the minute, 4 bedroomed houses in Duncraig are starting at around $550K which equates to 230K GBP. You'd need to decide if this was in line with your expectations.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:39 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

?

Last edited by sel; Aug 13th 2006 at 1:20 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:10 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
You can check the prices on www.realestate.com.au

If you ignore the higher end suburbs (such as Cottesloe) and the lower end and focus on the middle order suburbs you will get a fairly good comparison of prices.

Areas that I know about which I would consider middle order would be Duncraig, Carine, Ocean Reef, Joondalup, You can see that at the minute, 4 bedroomed houses in Duncraig are starting at around $550K which equates to 230K GBP. You'd need to decide if this was in line with your expectations.
This is my problem, I know nothing about the suburbs. Any pointers to any other suburbs that are nice and not VERY expensive would be great then I can research them on the real estate site.

We'll look at those you have listed. Ta
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by temptininnit
This is my problem, I know nothing about the suburbs. Any pointers to suburbs that are nice and not VERY expensive would be great then I can research them on the real estate site.
You really need others to respond - I only know the nice areas near where we are. I've already mentioned a few - also try Marmion, Hillarys, Sorrento, Warwick, Greenwood? and then further south, Doubleview, Wembley Downs, Gwellup, Karrinyup, Churchlands.

I'd live in all of these (although not too sure about Warwick and Greenwood). And none are in the exclusive club of suburbs - but that doesn't mean that they're cheap (or dare I say it, good value).
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:25 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
You really need others to respond - I only know the nice areas near where we are. I've already mentioned a few - also try Marmion, Hillarys, Sorrento, Warwick, Greenwood? and then further south, Doubleview, Wembley Downs, Gwellup, Karrinyup, Churchlands.

I'd live in all of these (although not too sure about Warwick and Greenwood). And none are in the exclusive club of suburbs - but that doesn't mean that they're cheap (or dare I say it, good value).
Having just moved from a rental in Sorrento, you won't get a reasonable house in Sorrento or Marmion for under $650k, we would have loved to have bought there but just couldn't afford it, same goes for Hillarys really but older properties can still be found cheaper. Kingsley and Woodvale are another 2 established suburbs which are a little cheaper.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:03 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Carramar which is a little further back and about 10 min from Burns Beach but with in easy reach of Currambine and Joondalup Rail stations. 10 min to Lakeside shopping center. Its one of the newer estates and building is still going on. In the more established parts (7years old) you get a 4x2 for about $400/450.

Its is a quiet suburb where the kids play in the streets and at the moment we get very little hooning. The is a very good primary school and community center and the shopping center will be started at the end of year and open by next November.

For more info check out:

http://www.carramarestate.com.au/
http://www.peet.com.au/land-estates/...estate-D14.asp

School Web site:

http://www.carramarps.det.wa.edu.au/index.htm

And you can check out crime rates for the suburbs on:

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/...rimeStatistics
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Clippies
When we were in Perth recently, my parents in law did the Perth tour bus thing - during the tour they were informed that Perth has 8000 migrants a month arriving at the moment. I'm not sure how true this is, but that has to have a huge effect on the house prices.
Your in-laws were told one of these b***t stories. If there is nothing important to talk about Perth, than they simply make up stories.

If 8,000 people would move to Perth each month, the rest of the country hardly would get a soul. In the first 7 months of this year, 6,047 migrants came to Perth. All in all ca 52,652 arrived in Australia according to the DIMA settlement report
http://www.settlement.immi.gov.au/se...electReport.do

QLD 5,911
NSW 16,472
VIC 13,468
SA 5,186
WA 6,047

and the rest somewhere else
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
Your in-laws were told one of these b***t stories. If there is nothing important to talk about Perth, than they simply make up stories.

If 8,000 people would move to Perth each month, the rest of the country hardly would get a soul. In the first 7 months of this year, 6,047 migrants came to Perth. All in all ca 52,652 arrived in Australia according to the DIMA settlement report
http://www.settlement.immi.gov.au/se...electReport.do

QLD 5,911
NSW 16,472
VIC 13,468
SA 5,186
WA 6,047

and the rest somewhere else
That does not include interstate migrants. In the office I work in there are loads of guys who have come over from Melbourne & Queensland (understandable really).
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That does not include interstate migrants. In the office I work in there are loads of guys who have come over from Melbourne & Queensland (understandable really).
you are right. However i don't call them migrants (just my view).

Understandable? Not so sure about that. Living in isolation? Paying rediculous house/land prices?

When I came to Perth, 9 years ago, I felt it was a bargain coming here although work was not so easy to get. Today, if I were an Aussie living on the east coast, having work, never in my life I would come to Perth. Perth has nothing what I can't have on the east coast.

There is nothing really bad about Perth but working my backside off to pay for a overpriced roof over my head which is on a 400sqm block in legoland (love this expression), where there is not even space for a tree in my backyard?

Just my view.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Fully aware if people go to WA, prepared to work up to 16 hours from perth in the mining industry money can be made, OK same as prepared to go to Mount Isa, Rockhampton etc in QLD.

But your average punter wanting to work in perth itself, say your bricklayer, hairdresser, sort of migrant australia is looking for, do they earn more money than elsewhere in the country? I am surprised given the amount of threads on perth house prices this question has not been asked.

What sort of wages are people earning in Perth, (not mining jobs) because when MIL came back from perth a few months ago, the jobs didnt seem that well paid at all (employment pages from west austraian).
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
you are right. However i don't call them migrants (just my view).

Understandable? Not so sure about that. Living in isolation? Paying rediculous house/land prices?

When I came to Perth, 9 years ago, I felt it was a bargain coming here although work was not so easy to get. Today, if I were an Aussie living on the east coast, having work, never in my life I would come to Perth. Perth has nothing what I can't have on the east coast.

There is nothing really bad about Perth but working my backside off to pay for a overpriced roof over my head which is on a 400sqm block in legoland (love this expression), where there is not even space for a tree in my backyard?

Just my view.
Think my post and yours just missed each other, this is basically what I was wondering, what do you think about perths wages outside of the mining jobs, are the wages higher then?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Think my post and yours just missed each other, this is basically what I was wondering, what do you think about perths wages outside of the mining jobs, are the wages higher then?
In my experience, lower than Syd and Melb.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

But your average punter wanting to work in perth itself, say your bricklayer, hairdresser, sort of migrant australia is looking for, do they earn more money than elsewhere in the country? I am surprised given the amount of threads on perth house prices this question has not been asked.
Bricklayers are doing alright ($1.50 a brick) but for stuff like IT, administration, teachers, nurses, coppers etc... less than the eastern states.

Coppers are after a 20% pay increase, nurses 21%, we are going for 18% at UWA (all the above over 2 or 3 years).
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
Bricklayers are doing alright ($1.50 a brick) but for stuff like IT, administration, teachers, nurses, coppers etc... less than the eastern states.

Coppers are after a 20% pay increase, nurses 21%, we are going for 18% at UWA (all the above over 2 or 3 years).

Brickies paid by the brick usually have all their overheads to take out, so may not be as good as it sounds.

Perth house prices certainly seem crazy but the lands so small, thats sort of stuff over here is called integrated housing and has a nasty stigma attached, most would avoid it unless they were buying it to rent out to students or something.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I would not dare to make any comments on wages because it varies greatly. My hubby, electrician earns around the $50k mark, my neighbour, previously a chef, works as a car sales person in the right area (Mandurah - population growth) earns about $65, a newly arrived IT person I know earns about $65 too.

If my hubby would lift his backside he could earn more but he can't be bothered, he has no kids (my second husband), debt free so why worry and change the comfort zone (his view not mine).

If you come to Perth with some sort of money from a previous house sale you are ok most probably.

However, I do not only measure my life on what sort of house I can effort. Having the most beautiful house in Perth still doesn't make Perth more attractive to me than an average house on the east coast. I believe I have more choices on the east coast in terms of scenery, places to go, food variety etc.

I just remember Bill Bryson's book "Down Under". Out of the 394 pages he managed to write 5 pages about Perth, of which 4 were about Lang Hancock. That does say a bit to me.

Perth is fine, but has nothing that you can't have elsewhere in Australia (except the sunset).

Last edited by Evelin; Aug 14th 2006 at 12:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.