Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth House Prices Cooling?

Perth House Prices Cooling?

Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth House Prices Cooling?

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Thing is though 'zulu, is that people claim to want the 70pc but then complain about it for years.....that's the final irony.

I can never understand the obession with bushfires - and I'm a fireman. If I may, I'll put it better - it would not determine whether I would move to a 'bush' area at all. I wouldn't turn down semi-rural living just because of a perceived fire risk.

If it happens you have insurance. It's highly unlikely you will die in one - you wouldn't need to stay awake over it - just a bit of preparation. Stay or leave early good enough for 90pc of people.

You'd have to be VERY unlucky to get caught in one, and then you need to take the right option(s).
Over here in Perth, in the hills and other high risk fire areas, FESA have leaflets etc, dropped in the mailboxes of said residents to remind them of there options in a bushfire area...Prepare and equip yourself to stay and fight or go. They also follow this up with door to door enquiries/discussion about it.

For FESA, they then get a good idea of who will be around when the fire is raging ...
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:22 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=thatsnotquiteright]Thing is though 'zulu, is that people claim to want the 70pc but then complain about it for years.....that's the final irony.

QUOTE]

I don't know where you get the idea that people who live in areas with small blocks complain about it, most of the posts you see here which are less than complimentary about them are not made by people who live there. I've already explained why a smaller block suits my family but i would also add that i like being close to the Ocean, not close enough to see it and be blown away at 1130 every morning, but close enough to walk the dog on the beach and sometimes just sit and watch the ocean without having to drive for more than 5 mins to do it, i like the sea breeze coming in on warmer days, less flies etc..... My firends who live in similar areas are all quite happy too, they certainly don't moan about it and think they are missing out on something by living on a small block.

I fully understand how semi-rural appeals to many people, i have done it before albeit not in Australia, but it's not for everyone.

Lynn
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is though 'zulu, is that people claim to want the 70pc but then complain about it for years.....that's the final irony.

I can never understand the obession with bushfires - and I'm a fireman. If I may, I'll put it better - it would not determine whether I would move to a 'bush' area at all. I wouldn't turn down semi-rural living just because of a perceived fire risk.

If it happens you have insurance. It's highly unlikely you will die in one - you wouldn't need to stay awake over it - just a bit of preparation. Stay or leave early good enough for 90pc of people.

You'd have to be VERY unlucky to get caught in one, and then you need to take the right option(s).
Bushfires do not worry me even though if we had one here we would be f**ked. Kalamunda is a major population centre up here & if there was a bush fire a lot of effort would be in to stopping it. There has never been a major fire up here. The council & fire people are very proactive around here & we are well informed abut what to do. We have decided to go if these is a fire. It's only a house after all & we are over-insured. We could build a nice new house with the money. The advantages of living here far outweight the remote threat of a fire.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:54 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=movetoperth]

QUOTE]

I don't know where you get the idea that people who live in areas with small blocks complain about it, most of the posts you see here which are less than complimentary about them are not made by people who live there. I've already explained why a smaller block suits my family but i would also add that i like being close to the Ocean, not close enough to see it and be blown away at 1130 every morning, but close enough to walk the dog on the beach and sometimes just sit and watch the ocean without having to drive for more than 5 mins to do it, i like the sea breeze coming in on warmer days, less flies etc..... My firends who live in similar areas are all quite happy too, they certainly don't moan about it and think they are missing out on something by living on a small block.

I fully understand how semi-rural appeals to many people, i have done it before albeit not in Australia, but it's not for everyone.

Lynn
Totally agree with you Lynn, not a lot of expats including me & my family have a vast choice either, I feel sorry for any prospective migrants who are going to have to settle for "shitboxes" in "legoland".
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
As far as I am aware the Buy to let system is the same,interest ,repairs etc are a tax deduction, a cost incurred in earning income (rent).The difference may be that tax avoidance is a national sport and has a huge marketing machine here to push it,if shite is advertised and repeated often enough it will be taken as great wisdom.If a business broker advertised a business as "wonderful opportunity,lose $30,000 every year and get $9,000 back from the tax man" do you think anybody would buy that business.In real estate speak "reduce your tax and become wealthy through negative gearing,seminar at etc",same shite different wording,of course people want to be wealthy,of course they want to pay less tax,they never realise they also have less money in the pocket every week.
In U.K. you can use expenses such as those you mentioned (plus many more) but rent is classed as unearned income and any losses cannot be used to offset your earned income taxes.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I don't know where you get the idea that people who live in areas with small blocks complain about it, most of the posts you see here which are less than complimentary about them are not made by people who live there.

Lynn
Disagree(!) Read the Moving back to the UK forum and time and time again it is the nature of suburbia that hits people the hardest and lack of perceived culture that really does it for people. It's in the Top 5 of 'lifestyle' complaints surely.

A house on 400m is probably the worst form of suburbia because you don't even get much of a backyard. (I know people don't complain specifically about their plot size but they do complain about surburbia - if they moved outside suburbia they might find more of what they are missing from the UK and would be alot happier)

That's the reality for some people. I've just identified a common complaint that's all.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:51 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree(!) Read the Moving back to the UK forum and time and time again it is the nature of suburbia that hits people the hardest and lack of perceived culture that really does it for people. It's in the Top 5 of 'lifestyle' complaints surely.

A house on 400m is probably the worst form of suburbia because you don't even get much of a backyard. (I know people don't complain specifically about their plot size but they do complain about surburbia - if they moved outside suburbia they might find more of what they are missing from the UK and would be alot happier)

That's the reality for some people. I've just identified a common complaint that's all.
As Hutch (I think it was) said a while back, it's interesting that some migrants move from small towns (myself included) and then plonk themselves into a sprawling mass of millions and still expect to be happy. I think if you're going to be happy here then you will do whatever it takes to make it work, I believe a lot of dissatisfied migrants are quite simply not willing to put up with Oz for the way it is, hence "people" always need to find someone or something to blame.

So all in all, I think I agree
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
208,000 migrants to Perth a year? Yeh...right.
that's my saying earlier on in the thread, people like to talk up things, it makes them feel good to be were the action is, it's a confirmation that they made the right decision at some point in time.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
that's my saying earlier on in the thread, people like to talk up things, it makes them feel good to be were the action is, it's a confirmation that they made the right decision at some point in time.
I read recently that it was 30 families a day moving here, so probably 40-50000. Way less than 200 000. Perth is growing fast, but not that fast!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
So all in all, I think I agree
Yup. You're allowed to be both confused and agree with me.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:35 am
Drifting back to earth

Yup. You're allowed to be both confused and agree with me.
Cool, I feel better now
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:02 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Cool, I feel better now
What is the rate of people who return home to their native countries?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly true in Victoria, but I'm not so sure if rural areas around Perth have anything that people miss from the UK.

There are a fair few people living in rural areas who crop up on the Moving Back forum. If 70% of immigrants head for the suburbs, then there are bound to be more people in absolute terms moving back from suburban Australia. The percentages suggest to me that rural living may not always be the solution.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 7:47 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

You are looking at extremes here, newer estates do have smaller cottage blocks, usually between 350-450sqm, but this is a small number of blocks aimed at downsizers or 1st home buyers.They are really more for older people, there positioning usually screams old biddy, they overlook parks so the oldies can sit out front and watch whats going on. But.... these blocks make up a small number of blocks in these areas. New areas usually release blocks up to 700sqm or over, some releases may only have smaller blocks it just depends on which part of the development they are at. More established, older areas have block sizes ranging from 650sqm-850sqm, some times larger, there are still many areas like this which are affordable to many.

What you have to remember with Perth is that most of the areas close to the city are made up of family sized homes as opposed to units, so perhaps urban sprawl has happened more here than in other areas and there is only so far you can expand the city out before commuting becomes an issue, this is why many of the blocks in areas close to the city have been subdivided. I lived 10 mins from the city 20 years ago in a smallhome on a huge block, no idea of the size as it was unimportant then, more than half the garden was unused as it was a wilderness, now the home has 3 more homes build on it's land, such is the demand for housing in a commutable distance from the city.

If you think that most people in Perths suburbs are living on 400sqm blocks then your information is wrong.I'd also have to say if people are rushing back to the UK because they don;t like where they live then it's a pretty short sighted approach. Australia is a vast country with many different things to offer, if one area isn;t for you then try somewhere else whether it be a few k's away or a few thousand k's away.

Lynn
Old Aug 16th 2006, 2:07 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I trust agents too!

do you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.