Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth has gone Christmas crazy!

Perth has gone Christmas crazy!

Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:39 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Perth has gone Christmas crazy!

I have been trying to buy us a Wii and my wife and daughter some presents for their birthdays this month. Ordinarily, I have to be dragged kicking and screaming around shops so probably haven’t notice this before. But everyone has gone absolutely Christmas crazy. Virtually every shop has got nothing on the shelves except the crap no one else wants. The big shops put out catalogues in the mail every week but unless you get there before 9.10am on Thursday it is all sold out. The queues of people laying stuff by for Christmas are like Alton Towers on a bank holiday. When I asked about a Wii Fit for Sam (once the guy stopped laughing at me) I was told the next 3 deliveries have all been pre-ordered. WTF is going on? Is everyone expecting a recession between now and the end of the year or are they getting it out of the way as there will be better stuff to do in December when the sun is out? I don’t remember it being like this the last couple of years.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth has gone Christmas crazy!

Originally Posted by worzel
I have been trying to buy us a Wii and my wife and daughter some presents for their birthdays this month. Ordinarily, I have to be dragged kicking and screaming around shops so probably haven’t notice this before. But everyone has gone absolutely Christmas crazy. Virtually every shop has got nothing on the shelves except the crap no one else wants. The big shops put out catalogues in the mail every week but unless you get there before 9.10am on Thursday it is all sold out. The queues of people laying stuff by for Christmas are like Alton Towers on a bank holiday. When I asked about a Wii Fit for Sam (once the guy stopped laughing at me) I was told the next 3 deliveries have all been pre-ordered. WTF is going on? Is everyone expecting a recession between now and the end of the year or are they getting it out of the way as there will be better stuff to do in December when the sun is out? I don’t remember it being like this the last couple of years.
Traditionally the July Toy Sales bring everyone out to do their Christmas shopping, then they have six months to put it away.

I tried to get a Wii for my son a couple of months ago and had to ring about 25 stores to try and find one. One Kmart I phoned sold the last two while I was speaking with them on the phone. Most places say they won't hold them for you even if they have them, but if you offer to pay a deposit on your credit card over the phone, some places will. I managed to get a really nice young guy at Kmart who hid one for me for two hours so that I could get to his store (he said he'd put it back on the shelf after that). I was at Southlands Shopping Centre in Willeton on the school holidays and the gaming shop there (not sure what it's called) had just got a new shipment of Wii fit.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Not noticed myself. Although the shelves in the Post Office were empty, all i wanted was one envelope...
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I went into Target last Thursday at around 11am. I was going in for PJs for my kids and had completely forgotten it was the start of the toy sale. I came out having spent over $500 and stood in the electronics queue for an hour. The layby queue was about 15 deep most people with 2 trolleys! They were estimating a 3 hour wait. Bollocks to that
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I went into Target last Thursday at around 11am. I was going in for PJs for my kids and had completely forgotten it was the start of the toy sale. I came out having spent over $500 and stood in the electronics queue for an hour. The layby queue was about 15 deep most people with 2 trolleys! They were estimating a 3 hour wait. Bollocks to that
A couple of years ago we went to the Target toy sale to get birthday gifts for our son. We went to a store in the Brisbane suburb of Carindale, it was absolutely frantic and we couldn't handle it, I hate shopping at the best of times. Anyway the soccer table we wanted wasn't in stock at that store and they offered to order it in, but we needed it that weekend for sons's bday. Anyway hubby phoned a couple of stores and found one in stock in Southport. We drove down to the Southport store (an hour's drive) and there were about 10 people in the whole store. We ended up staying for hours and got heaps of stuff because it wasn't so crowded. My advice, drive to a less popular store if you want to go to toy saling.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:49 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

I keep telling you, you dont need to go to all that trouble...........

Something from the new Tiffany store will do
Attached Images  
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:21 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat

A catalogue?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:27 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Wii recently, I couldn't get one in JB HiFi, Target or Big W and ended up in EB in Whitfords, they had a few in.

The kids have used it loads, and really enjoy it. I also got the Wii fit, and while it is good I haven't used it as much as I intended to .
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat

Ah my dad did the phones in there last week - got a freebie silver necklace from the manager too - they were giving them too the VIP's (not sure why they gave one to him) mum was very pleased, although he came home with a awful cold!!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

A catalogue?
No silly,an empty box with a ribbon around it.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
$500 dollars on Pjs.!!! were they stitched with gold?.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My missus bought our Wii a couple of days before Christmas in EB Games. I think the solution is to do your Xmas shopping at Xmas and not in July. Or - my personal preference.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:36 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ [/QUOTE]

Got a Wii in Rockingham precint recently Worzel.

Ps May send you a pm on my return soon.

Dave
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:21 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by mindblower
[
Got a Wii in Rockingham precint recently Worzel.

Ps May send you a pm on my return soon.

Dave[/QUOTE]

We managed to get a Wii a couple of weeks ago but cannot get a Wii Fit now. Cheers.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:58 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Awwwwwwwww i love crimbo..wish i was there just to get that giddy excited feel