Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PERTH - Has anyone not bothered insuring shipping container????

PERTH - Has anyone not bothered insuring shipping container????

Old May 25th 2007, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough
Default PERTH - Has anyone not bothered insuring shipping container????

Oh I do hope one of you lovely people can help!
We have decided on Crown for our removals but cannot decide wether or not to bother with insurance.
Our belongings are hardly worth anything (only taking them for sentimental reasons) but I would be pi**ed if I skipped insurance and the computer didn't work when it arrived. Unfortunately there is no way to just insure the pc - everything has to be covered. Not arsed if they chip a few cups etc.
Plus there's the £100 excess charge.
What's a girl to do?????

P.s We are flying out to Perth on 27th June arrive 28th and are renting a beach house in waikiki for 2 months while we look to buy, maybe in Port Kennedy. Anyone else going around that time and would like to meet poss? Husband will be working (plumber) and 2 of 3 kids will be at school so i will be all alone!!!

Sara x
Old May 25th 2007, 10:30 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PERTH - Has anyone not bothered insuring shipping container????

Originally Posted by Me and my Boys
We have decided on Crown for our removals but cannot decide wether or not to bother with insurance.
Our belongings are hardly worth anything (only taking them for sentimental reasons) but I would be pi**ed if I skipped insurance and the computer didn't work when it arrived. Unfortunately there is no way to just insure the pc - everything has to be covered. Not arsed if they chip a few cups etc.
What's a girl to do?????

P.s We are flying out to Perth on 27th June arrive 28th and are renting a beach house in waikiki for 2 months while we look to buy, maybe in Port Kennedy. Anyone else going around that time and would like to meet poss? Husband will be working (plumber) and 2 of 3 kids will be at school so i will be all alone!!!

Sara x
Insurance is worth it,,, Peace of mind if nothing else, as you know if you don't do it, your stuff will get lost , and if you do insure it, it will more likely arrive safely !!!
Old May 25th 2007, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Me and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the roughMe and my Boys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brisben
Insurance is worth it,,, Peace of mind if nothing else, as you know if you don't do it, your stuff will get lost , and if you do insure it, it will more likely arrive safely !!!
Yes you're prob right. I can't help thinking that if I don't get insurance they will just chuck my stuff all over the show coz they know I can't claim Ha Ha!
But on the other hand if I am paying them the best part of 3 1/2 grand then the least they can do is deliver my stuff in exact condition it left regardless of insurance?
Old May 25th 2007, 11:06 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

What's a girl to do?????

Sara x
Dont bother, we did, one item got damaged in transit (not something we were bothered about) but we thought well we are insured, lets go for it. The amount of work you needed to do even before submitting the claim was unbelievable, from memory we had to go out and find three separate quotes for the same item, well as the item was a small table bought in the UK, there was no way we could find a similar one, the paperwork was also simple vast, everything was done to ensure you didnt bother. I simple clamped the table anrd reglued the joint that had broken in transit, job done, looked exactly as before.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Dont bother, we did, one item got damaged in transit (not something we were bothered about) but we thought well we are insured, lets go for it. The amount of work you needed to do even before submitting the claim was unbelievable, from memory we had to go out and find three separate quotes for the same item, well as the item was a small table bought in the UK, there was no way we could find a similar one, the paperwork was also simple vast, everything was done to ensure you didnt bother. I simple clamped the table anrd reglued the joint that had broken in transit, job done, looked exactly as before.
totally agree,we had one picture damaged{glass front was smashed}
the claim form was something else,you would have to be a lawyer to
understand it{obviously a way of putting people off submitting claims}
could'nt be arsed with the hassle so did'nt bother.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fitz
totally agree,we had one picture damaged{glass front was smashed}
the claim form was something else,you would have to be a lawyer to
understand it{obviously a way of putting people off submitting claims}
could'nt be arsed with the hassle so did'nt bother.
For me, the main reason for insurance would be in case the whole lot went over the edge of the boat on the way, rather than damage to individual items.

Think how much it would cost to replace everything in the container...
Old May 25th 2007, 12:24 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Sara x
Every year, more than 10,000 containers fall overboard and spill their cargo into the ocean. Storms are often to blame.

An 8-foot by 40-foot container (2.4-meter by 12.2-meter), which can carry up to 58,000 pounds (26,000 kilograms) of cargo, might hold 10,000 shoes, 17,000 hockey gloves, or a million pieces of Lego.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n..._seacargo.html

Containers Lost Overboard in Storm
Friday, May 11, 2007

Styrofoam packing material began washing ashore on the beaches of the North Carolina Outer Banks Wednesday afternoon as a result of a container ship encountering severe weather off the coast. The debris field ranges from Cape Lookout northward to the Virginia border. The most densely littered areas are from Cape Lookout to Cape Hatteras. Late Sunday evening, the Hapag-Lloyd vessel Paris Express encountered severe weather in the Atlantic while en route from Savannah to Norfolk, resulting in the loss of 21 containers overboard, including some containing Styrofoam "peanuts." None of the cargo involved was listed as hazardous material, although the Styrofoam could potentially be harmful to pristine National Seashore areas, including critical nesting habitat for endangered turtles and various bird species in the two National Seashores
http://www.marinelink.com/Story/Show...StoryID=207100

SILENT AND STEALTHY, DO THEY FLOAT just below the surface, waiting to punch a hole in the bottom of an unlucky vessel? Are there really containers drifting on the ocean?

The answer is yes and no. Containers do fall overboard. But many of them sink fairly quickly and the chances are actually quite slim of a vessel finding itself on the same spot of ocean with one of those containers.
http://www.oceannavigator.com/article.php?a=1008
Old May 25th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

We didnt bother,its not worth the paper its written on,theres too many loop holes,we were told if it all goes over board we couldnt claim,and if you do put in a claim you have to pay the first 100-200 pounds anyway,unless you have really expensive things i personaly wouldnt bother,They broke my vacuum cleaner when they dropped it this end,but everthing else was ok,if it had of been insured i wouldnt of been any better off by the time i had paid the first excess fee.
Its up to you,but if you weigh up what it will cost for insurance against what they could brake,only you will know.
good luck with your move
Old May 25th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sue&bob
We didnt bother,its not worth the paper its written on,theres too many loop holes,we were told if it all goes over board we couldnt claim,and if you do put in a claim you have to pay the first 100-200 pounds anyway,unless you have really expensive things i personaly wouldnt bother,They broke my vacuum cleaner when they dropped it this end,but everthing else was ok,if it had of been insured i wouldnt of been any better off by the time i had paid the first excess fee.
Its up to you,but if you weigh up what it will cost for insurance against what they could brake,only you will know.
good luck with your move

We didnt get it either - I agree - not worth the paper it is written on!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:57 pm
Diane T

diitbrown will become famous soon enoughdiitbrown will become famous soon enough

What's a girl to do?????

Sara x
Hi Sara,

I wouldnt bother. We had a full 20' container with everything from the bed to the can-opener. The company who moved us (who I wont name for the fear of Slander) talked us into Insurance. We paid around £450 for the insurance and £3,888 for the moving of the furniture.

When our goods arrived at our house in Perth there was broken pictures, ornaments (nothing of great value - but still!) Our huge christmas tree was missing - which to this day remains a mystery and our chest freezer was damaged by the removal man putting the cord with the plug inside therefore damaging the seal! When we approached the company about all of this they told us we would have to pay £500 excess!!! Well the stuff altogether was probably just about worth that!! So we never bothered to claim - What a waste of Money!! Plus in the contract we couldnt claim if the ship had sunk!!

Di XXXXXX
Old Jun 5th 2007, 5:25 am
bev
Forum Regular

bev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the roughbev is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sara
Got the shippers coming thursday, I really debated about this with OH, we decided in the end not to bother. The things that are really valuable you can't put a price on (Eg Photos etc), and can never be replaced.
Elaine
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:14 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't and luckily not one thing was damaged...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
I didn't and luckily not one thing was damaged...
we have used letton percival rather than using crowns higher insurance. for the cost of it i have peace of mind of at least some coverage. cost us just under £250 which covered just under a full container.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
we have used letton percival rather than using crowns higher insurance. for the cost of it i have peace of mind of at least some coverage. cost us just under £250 which covered just under a full container.
That's strange.
Crown just phoned me with our quote of £152.50. That is insuring 5 grands worth of stuff for loss (fall off ship!) damage and 'mechanical derangement' (lol) I just LOVE that description. It means that if my PC and Fridge don't work on arrival but have no signs of outside damage then under a normal policy it would be tough sh*t, but with Mechanical derangement (lol) I would still get a payout. We are also taking our own container (20 ft) and could also insure cost of shipping i.e if container falls off ship then not only would we get 5 grand payout they would also reimburse the shipping costs. Only an extra 100 quid for that.
Having said ALL that I am checking out an insurance company I have seen mentioned a few times on this site.....Letton Percival. Hopefully they will be better....

Will let you know!!!

Sara
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
I'd recommend insurance for peace of mind...taking into consideration any excesses. We used Marine Insurers when coming over...ended up claiming over $3k !! Took a while..needed a few quotes..but they were basically happy with online quotes from me. The main damage for us was our fridge/freezer - wasn't bubble wrapped and the side of it was scratched and dented..couldn't be fixed so they paid out. Will be sitting in the garage when we return home next week
We're using Letton Percival for returning btw - cheap as chips...and so far, been fine..