Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Expats working in IT wanted!

Perth Expats working in IT wanted!

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

PoppyElizabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Perth Expats working in IT wanted!

Hello,

I lived in Australia for 3.5 years and left 5 years ago after having my son in Australia, he is Australian. Me and my partner are coming to Brisbane and then Perth in February 2020 and are hoping whilst in Perth to meet people, especially expats, who work in IT as my partner will be looking for sponsorship/work in the IT business. He currently runs his own IT company.

I qualify as a counsellor in July 2020 and so would also been keen to find sponsorship also, however it's more important to us at the moment for him to meet people in the industry as he's never been to Australia before, whereas I feel comfortable in the country, it's always felt like my home.

Any expats who work in IT or know anyone who works in IT in Perth and are around to chat about it, and then meet us in February, we would be forever grateful!

Thank you for reading!
Old Sep 4th 2019, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Expats working in IT wanted!

What visa were you on when you were last in Australia? This is important as it may give better options.

Second, the IT market is Perth is very small. Most IT jobs are in Sydney and Melbourne. Even most of the big mining companies in Perth have their IT functions over east.

Third, sponsorship is rarely the best way to go. Not only is it very difficult as many companies no longer sponsor but also only usually results in a temporary visa. If that is the path you want to chose though, then only one of you needs to be sponsored. The other is included in that application.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a psychologist? Counsellors are ten a penny in Aus, cant imagine that you would get sponsorship as a counsellor. If you were a psychologist with eligibility for registration you might be better placed although the pathway to full registration is fraught.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

The term "IT" is very broad but unless he has some very rare/in demand skills sponsorship seems unlikely (I'm in IT and work for one of the big US software companies).

Agree with the above, the demand for IT pro's in Perth is small, certainly behind Syd, Mel, Bris and Canberra
Old Sep 15th 2019, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

PoppyElizabeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, we aren't really looking for anything within the Mining community, just doesn't fit our family lifestyle. He currently runs his own IT business, taking care of a private client base including some relatively big companies and also contracting out to our big phone/internet company (think Telstra etc). Ideally he'd like to do similar in Australia.

I will be a psychotherapist, which is different to both Counsellor and Psychologist. I'd like to go down the sponsor myself line and looking on the current list of Australia Skilled Occupation List it would be possible, I've also already spoken to the Australian Counselling Association about transferring qualifications.

Perth is our ideal, as my ex partner lives Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area and the city Sydney/Melbourne lifestyles don't suit us. Perth and/or Townsville/Cairns, but Perth comes out on top for us at the moment. Not looking for any high profile jobs bringing in the mega bucks, just looking for a standard living in a nice area!