Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vetassess electrician

Vetassess electrician

Old Jun 21st 2019, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

GillianMo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vetassess electrician

Hi, I will be heading to Blackburn in the next few weeks to complete vetassess practical exam (electrician general), I have read through some previous discussions however, I’m looking for some up to date information. My immigration agent advised me of changes to the assessment, however the only information given was the cost change( almost doubled ) effective from 1st March 2019,(I believe). Can anyone advise of any other changes with regard to content or if the process of examination has also changed ? I have been revising what has been advised by vetassess however any other pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2019, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Dawie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vetassess electrician

Hi Gillain, how did your assessment go. I am doing my assessment this Wednesday in Melbourne. I red thru thousands of chats and tried studying everything but still not prepared as I should.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Hi , it went well, I passed, I got results within 3 weeks of test date, it was a painful wait.
The test wasn’t as bad as I thought..
practical -pretty straight forward- fit small consumer unit , two way lighting and a radial circuit, using pvc conduit ,including off set bend.
Safe isolation - memorise the steps in the hand out to the letter and you can’t go wrong.
Motor - Learn wiring of a direct online starter - you will have to fault find also , I didn’t find this easy as it’s not something I do every day but I got through it.
Multiple choice written- scrub up on basic principles , ohms law , capacitive reactance and inductive reactance calculations etc .. types of batteries, types of smoke detectors.
The technical interview is based on the evidence you have provided for the elective you have chosen from the 4 options , I was dreading this however it was pretty straight forward , no curve balls !
The assessor was very nice, and wasn’t out to fail us or catch us out. Good luck !
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the reply and the info you gave me, this will help. Just a quick question on some of the tools/testers, did you take your own and if so what tipe or dit you use some of the training centers and how was the quality and waiting time on them, I am taking standard miltimeter, line voltage tester and amp meter and recommended handtools with. Thanks again for your time, much appreciated.

Old Sep 16th 2019, 7:49 am
Just Joined

I only took my voltage testers with me, I used the college multi meter which was a brand new fluke. There was no wait time, there was only another 3 people in on the same day, we were all at different stages as we were getting pulled from our install to do , safe isolation , motor etc. Would be ideal to have your own as you are familiar with it, I didn’t borrow any other tools, other than bending spring.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply and info. Hope you have a awsome day