Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth cbd or scarborough beach

perth cbd or scarborough beach

Old May 11th 2005, 6:42 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth cbd or scarborough beach

Originally Posted by renth
He he, I'm with you on that one about the kiddies beach at Hillarys, we tend to go to the next beach down at Sorrento now the kids are a bit bigger.

BTW I reckon your descriptions of the Freo, Subi and Northbridge incidents will have the rose tinters panicking

is perth city centre outside the mcdonalds near the train station still frequented by those alcoholic/tramp people?? I was using the public phone box outside the maccy d's whilst in perth when this middle aged woman got up off the bench she was sitting on there, waddled over to me with half bottle of sherry in hand and threw up on the other side of the phone box. luckily there was a post in the way to divert the splatter from my direction.
Old May 11th 2005, 6:56 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve99
As for Hillarys, our friends had there car borken into whilst we were eating up there one night, and whenever im there I feel as though I might as well be sitting in a cafe in Northern England... not something I enjoy.

I was thinking the same thing myself, but didn't think I'd say it (being an Aussie and all....)

Why all the 'to and frommies' congregate up there I'll never know. As a tourist, I'd be basing myself closer to the CBD and transport, unless the beach in winter is really your thing. Personally I love it down there in winter, but it would probably be easier to be based near the train somewhere. I wouldn't be staying in Hillaries that's for sure..... (unless quasi-English pubs are what you're looking for). Cottesloe would get my vote - best of both worlds.
Old May 11th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve99
And where exactly did i say Scarborough was special???
I was merely pointing out that you can run into hoons anywhere if your unlucky and to taint a suburb because of some old reported incidents isnt giving a true picture to someone who's never been there.
During the day ive been there hundreds of times and never had any problems, on the occasions ive been there at night (which are probably less than 10) ive never seen anything worse than some beefed up heaps of plastic driving around.
In subiaco ive witnessed a fight break out in funtastico restaurant, been abused in the Subiaco Hotel.
In Fremantle ive seen a car being chased down the main high street by Police to crash into one of the bollards. Ive seen Abo kids picking a fight with a white kid whilst having a coffee in the Dome.
Perth Trainstation at night is one of the most uncomfortable places ive been, and Northbridge doesnt even need discussing.
As for Hillarys, our friends had there car borken into whilst we were eating up there one night, and whenever im there I feel as though I might as well be sitting in a cafe in Northern England... not something I enjoy.

Dont go criticising people for giving there opinion of somewhere just because its different to yours.
Bloody hell.....is no where safe these days????

Or is this being blown outof all proportion........

Surely it is the same the World over.....

SS
Old May 11th 2005, 7:40 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
BTW I reckon your descriptions of the Freo, Subi and Northbridge incidents will have the rose tinters panicking

One way to put people off and maintain our own little piece of paradise
Old May 11th 2005, 8:11 am
Just Joined

plumb is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to know where the best place was to base ourselves to be able to have a look around but also i want to be able to relax abit too.If it was just myself and my husband then i wouldnt care less but as my boys are 2 and 5 i wanted to do some research into an area that would be nice for them.I do not intend in dragging them constantly around the suburbs as that would be boring for us all and complete hell,but i just want to get the feel of a place,some exploring,some chilling.
Thanks everyone.
Old May 11th 2005, 8:39 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Sounds as though Perth city might be your best bet, people will always have their own oppinions on different places, different experiences etc and you will need to make your own mind up.

Have a wonderful trip! I'm envious and want to be there NOW!