Reload this Page >

leaving pets behind

leaving pets behind

Old May 7th 2005, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Born2tri will become famous soon enoughBorn2tri will become famous soon enough
Default leaving pets behind

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has left there pets behind as we have two dogs a dalmation and bearded collie going to live with a friend i think,and i keep telling myself we are doing the right thing as going to be so busy when we get there, and not many house's accept pets when renting, also beardie hates the heat and dalamation gets car sick even just going 5mins, but all the same my heart is torn when i look at them, just wanted to know if others have managed without their pets or am i just being cruel not taking them. The children are fine about it now but not sure when the time comes what they will be like. Heading for Brisbane end of July and any advice appreciated.

Lisa
Old May 7th 2005, 2:46 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: leaving pets behind

Originally Posted by Born2tri
Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has left there pets behind as we have two dogs a dalmation and bearded collie going to live with a friend i think,and i keep telling myself we are doing the right thing as going to be so busy when we get there, and not many house's accept pets when renting, also beardie hates the heat and dalamation gets car sick even just going 5mins, but all the same my heart is torn when i look at them, just wanted to know if others have managed without their pets or am i just being cruel not taking them. The children are fine about it now but not sure when the time comes what they will be like. Heading for Brisbane end of July and any advice appreciated.

Lisa
Luckily we do not have any pets, three kids is enough!

Relatives of ours are just about to get their visa and they had two dogs. They decided it would be far better to leave them here in England rather than going through all the stress of moving with them etc.

I cant believe the costs either that some people pay to take their pets with them although that was not an issue for them.

I dont mean to upset any animal lovers but I am sure that if most of you really thought about it you would agree that leaving them here is for the best.

R.
Old May 7th 2005, 2:50 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaving pets behind

Hi,

Lisa
Lisa,

I can't really offer any advice as I am still is the UK, but I really do empathise with the heartache and 'do-I-don't-I' turmoil that you're going through. As the owner of four cats, I am also agonising over what to do, as in addition to emigrating, we are first planning to spend a number of months travelling before we finally head over to Oz.

Of course you aren't being cruel - you know your dogs better than anyone else, and as hard a decision as it is to make, the most important thing is that you do what is best for them. I guess the benefit of a friend adopting them is that you have the piece of mind knowing that they will be together and well cared for, and in the worst case, if they don't settle down in their new home, you still have the option of bringing them over to Oz. It would probably be an idea to think about getting them settled at your friends sooner rather than later - gives you time to see how it goes, adjust to the situation and perhaps still visit if you can bear to.

It's such a heart-wrenching decision to have to make, but personally, based on what you say, I think you are making the right one.

Sending you a hug and some karma.

Nicky
Old May 7th 2005, 2:55 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
It would probably be an idea to think about getting them settled at your friends sooner rather than later - gives you time to see how it goes, adjust to the situation and perhaps still visit if you can bear to.

Nicky
I forgot to mention that bit. They to have already sorted out a new home for the dogs even though they may not go to Oz until January. As you said at least they are going to someone you know so you can keep in touch etc.

As for cats, there not too welcome in Oz are they?

R.
Old May 7th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

i am having this dilema too.

if our dog was younger i would definately have taken her and even now i have not ruled it out. she is 12 this year and we have had her since a puppy, she is a typical pampered pooch, who our two children adore.

if she was a few years younger then i would have definately done it, the hassle of shipping, expense, blah blah would have been far outweighed by the peace of mind it would have given us, and i suspect her.

however at 12 i worry that it is too stressful for her.
Old May 7th 2005, 3:06 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Lisa
Your dogs have to spend a month in quarantine, so by the time the month has elapsed you should have found accomodation that accept pets.........plenty do. Friends of ours brought their pet dalmation over, found a house, visited him in quarantine, so that he knew what the score was, then took him to their rental house after the month..............if you want to do it, its easy.
Old May 7th 2005, 3:08 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carruss
As for cats, there not too welcome in Oz are they?

R.
Do not even THINK about starting on this one, you stirrer!
Old May 7th 2005, 3:17 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Well, we`re taking our 12 yr old pooch as he is in good health and he`s not the stressful type. BUT we have already re-homed our other (3 yrs younger) dog as he would basically get us in trouble in Oz (he yaps at birds etc alot and that wouldn`t make the neighbours happy, and if they get enough complaints the council order your yappy dogs vocal chords to be removed), plus he is very very demanding and would drive us even more insane. We have wanted to re-home him for years but kept feeling too guilty about it. Finally got my own way and he is now with an elderly couple who can walk him nearly as much as he wants, surrounded by fields. Better for him, and better for us.
Old May 7th 2005, 3:22 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Do not even THINK about starting on this one, you stirrer!
Don't know what your talking about!

R.
Old May 7th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

i haven;t ruled it out, will take her to the vets for a chat with them i think.

she is very timid and i am not sure she would handle it that well, i don't want to under estimate her tho!!
Old May 7th 2005, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Lisa
Yeah, we went through the same situation. We left 'Jack' (thelad) with my brother. He was always a family dog anyway, shared between me, my brother, and my parents, and spent most of his time at my brothers so, it was no big change for him, but I do miss him

First thing we did once we had got our house bought here in Brisbane, was go to the local Animal Welfare league

http://www.awlqld.com.au

and what do you know! they had a springer called Jock, 5 years younger than Jack, and the bestest pet we've ever found.

Don't get me wrong, I miss Jack, but, shipping a 10 year old dog was not fair on him. He's my brothers dog, and happy with his life.

It probably sounds like ruthless advice at the moment but, once you get over here, and get your house, go to a dog pound (the link above is a good one), and pick up a new pup or older dog.

Its all part of the tough decisions of moving.

Good luck
JTL
Old May 7th 2005, 3:40 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

hi born2tri, my heart really goes out to you. we left our staffy behind for numerous reasons, his age, he hated cats, barked at birds and basically just liked himself as the only other animal in the vacinity. saying that he was the most adorable gentle dog that i have ever met. we were lucky that we left him with my sister in laws family but, when the time came our hearts were ripped out.
3 weeks later he had settled and was very happy. no probs at all. again we were lucky that we returned home after 7 months and got to have him back for the rest of his years (died of old age).
only you can make the decision, but whatever you do just remember that as long as they have a good home, no matter how close they are to you, they will settle in a new home. never feel guilty. after all you have given your dog lots of love through the years and he-she couldn't ask for much more. if you do leave him-her it will be because you know they wouldn't settle/survive the journey.

all the best louise
Old May 7th 2005, 4:03 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I will be taking our Jack Russel dog (3) with us but unfortunately I will be leaving my cat due to health reasons. My friend has said she would have her for me so I know she will have a brilliant home. Although I will be very upset, I know that its the best thing for her.

Do what you feel is right for your animals, like someone else said, you know them best.

I am also having to sell my horse due to it costing a fortune to ship her
Old May 7th 2005, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sel
I will be taking our Jack Russel dog (3) with us but unfortunately I will be leaving my cat due to health reasons. My friend has said she would have her for me so I know she will have a brilliant home. Although I will be very upset, I know that its the best thing for her.

Do what you feel is right for your animals, like someone else said, you know them best.

I am also having to sell my horse due to it costing a fortune to ship her
Hi

my horse will have to stay behind too. couldn't sell her as i have had her 16 years but a good friend at the yard has agreed to take her on for the rest of her days. It's heart renching but i know she will be happy and well cared for.
Tracy
Old May 7th 2005, 5:22 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We took our dog and she was 11 when we took her to Perth, she was part of our family and there was never a thought to leaving her behind even though it cost us a fortune (along with our daughters two cats)! As someone said they have to stay in quarantine for 30 days and soon adjust to the heat. Aussie dog breeders breed all different types of dogs from all over the world, they get use to the heat, better than we did!!! lol

Born2tri
It is hard to leave pets behind, I had to find a home for my horse. He was also part of the family but being rather large (!!) it would have cost me an estimated 8,000 pounds and he had a foot propblem on hard ground, so due to dry weather he would have suffered.

Good luck and I know its heart breaking but if they are in good homes it's a comfort.

We also bought our pets back to the UK with us too (another small fortune!), there was no way I was going to leave them over in OZ!!!! :scared:

Sounds funny all these things being said about the Aussies and cats?.....No one even bothers if you have a cat or not? There are tonnes of them out there, just like here. The birds are too big for the cats to go near!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.