Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Sydney train strike exposes world city myth
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I agree Sydney was once a fairly decent city. It never compared to London either in scope or status. It never will. Hardly matters as Sydney has its own direction in a very different part of the world.

The words jealousy and resentment are frequent quotes of yours I wonder why? Reverse psychology most likely. It can't be fun having a massive mortgage in what is not a particularly 'special' city at the end of the day, unless have location....even then.....

Sydney is hardly to best place to live in Australia. Just as London, is not in UK. It may be the best that Australia has to offer with regards aspects of working life. By that I mean certain fields of endeavour.

There are many, many places around the globe, also in Australia,far superior to Sydney and as I mentioned its increasingly workaholic nature, as if that is the single most important virtue in life not to mention an over abundance of people with their head up their dernier.
You seem confused. You compliment the place then retract it. Which shall it be.

Yes I have a mortgage. Its no burden. I still buy whatever I need and holiday where ever I like. Don't let the press you read trip you up now.

On the flipside I could move to Perth or Brisbane or somewhere largely uninteresting lacking in options and have NO mortgage ....... um ...... no thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You seem confused. You compliment the place then retract it. Which shall it be.

Yes I have a mortgage. Its no burden. I still buy whatever I need and holiday where ever I like. Don't let the press you read trip you up now.

On the flipside I could move to Perth or Brisbane or somewhere largely uninteresting lacking in options and have NO mortgage ....... um ...... no thanks.

Far from confused with regards to Sydney. Sounds like time to call in the plumber for a through over haul if you have arrived at that as a conclusion.

Simplistic language, Sydney is fine as it goes, just not worth the money. There are plenty more enticing and interesting places around the globe.

You may not for much longer, be able to buy somewhere like Brisbane or Perth without a mortgage if the air keeps deflating out of the over inflated Sydney market, that few can afford. Come correction I may well consider options in Sydney real estate. Until then, no way.

Second most expense city after Honkers in the world. Another over rated city, Vancouver in third place. Perth remains a better deal if in right location in comparison.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you need to explain that further? You brought up lock out laws that you read about somewhere, I explained to you that on the ground here its no great shakes, in fact, its been a good thing all round.

Now that your myth you read about in the press somewhere has been put to bed from someone on the ground, is there anything else that's been killed?

From where I sit on the ground here in Sydney, its going from strength to strength, especially since the Liberal government took over. Sadly the city was neglected and choked during the Labor years.

Chocked what are you talking about. Under the conservatives there is no policy but other fill it up to become another Honkers, sell out to developers and foreign land lords.

There was a Premier in the nineties that said Sydney was full and to disperse immigrants to other city's within the Commonwealth as well. Days sadly long gone.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ha ha ho ho, that's what you want to believe. Be honest here. When was the last time you went to Sydney and did you actually venture beyond the CBD?

I think we know the answer to that.

Speaking of lock out laws, they have actually done good things for Sydney.

Firstly, lock out laws, prohibits people entering hotels, registered clubs, nightclubs and karaoke bars after 1.30am. It does NOT shut these establishments. Its contained to a certain small area of Sydney. An area no one goes to anyway. But should you choose to have a drink in this area, be in a hotel, registered club, nightclub and karaoke bar before 1:30 then stay as long as you like.

Secondly what the laws have done is create new entertainment precincts in other areas and increased the available selection. These areas already existed and were cool, but has made them bigger and better. (maybe not for locals who have to put up with the noise at 5am)

New bars, clubs, pubs, restaurants and cafe's (you can have your karaoke) precincts are popping up all over the place. Double Bay, Newtown, Pyrmont, Surry Hills, Balmain, and to be brutally honest, they are far better places to go than the CBD ever was.

Locals don't go out in the CBD. That's for the dumb tourists like yourself.

Anyhow, it was a bit of a worry at the beginning, but now its better, giving locals and tourists a wider variety and more atmospheric places to enjoy and evening away from the CBD. And its serving is purpose. Alcohol related fighting and assaults is down.

Not sure what they are going to do about fighting and assaults in Melbourne - ban immigrants?
Well not only me that considers Sydney seriously over rated. Funny how Sydney people don't appear to share your enthusiasm.

Time Out Global City index rated Sydney third from bottom of nineteen cities surveyed.

Only 10% said there is something always to do.

Compare this with second listed city, Melbourne, where 46% said always something to do.

Sydney was rated absolutely last in being dynamic and the least sociable of all.

Not the sort of place you would really want to go into a lifetime of toil to pay off an expensive mortgage in one of the worlds most over inflated cities surely? And over priced chow establishments, sterile bars and spreading them across particular suburbs, doesn't seem for some reason to necessary cut it for the locals. Too knackered and over worked paying for the privilege of living in the worlds second most over inflated city perhaps? Oh but it does possess pleasant harbour views.........just getting to them is a pain.....

Last edited by the troubadour; Jan 24th 2018 at 7:51 am.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You may not for much longer, be able to buy somewhere like Brisbane or Perth without a mortgage if the air keeps deflating out of the over inflated Sydney market, that few can afford. Come correction I may well consider options in Sydney real estate. Until then, no way.
You should be able to tell me how that effects your life. You own a place in Perth and have lost hundreds of thousands since the resources crash.

How does that sit with you?

If Sydney actually does crash for a moment in time, no skin off my nose. I don't need to sell. As soon as the planning application is approved, cnstruction starts on a 3rd living space and a 5th bedroom with ensuite. Not many of those freestanding houses in within 10km's of the city.

Its all supply and demand. Its all about having something rare, creating resentment (easy game to play with you), building desperation in something many want. Real Estate 101.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well not only me that considers Sydney seriously over rated. Funny how Sydney people don't appear to share your enthusiasm.

Time Out Global City index rated Sydney third from bottom of nineteen cities surveyed.

Only 10% said there is something always to do.

Compare this with second listed city, Melbourne, where 46% said always something to do.

Sydney was rated absolutely last in being dynamic and the least sociable of all.

Not the sort of place you would really want to go into a lifetime of toil to pay off an expensive mortgage in one of the worlds most over inflated cities surely? And over priced chow establishments, sterile bars and spreading them across particular suburbs, doesn't seem for some reason to necessary cut it for the locals. Too knackered and over worked paying for the privilege of living in the worlds second most over inflated city perhaps? Oh but it does possess pleasant harbour views.........just getting to them is a pain.....
And they put Lisbon above London. Your article doesn't have much street cred.

You couldn't even get the eating bit right. A typical meal in Perth is 25% more expensive than Sydney
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Bloody unions. Greedy pricks want a 6% pay rise. Time to start training more drivers.

Its rare we get union issues here. Everyone hates unions here.

I wouldn't want to be a train driver returning to work next week. They are going to get lynched.

Last edited by Beoz; Jan 24th 2018 at 9:00 am.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Part of the problem is people always concentrate on the laneways as somehow the key bit. But that's the wrong way round - the laneways (let's just call them the alleys they are) were a consequence of people looking to do small and chic in a CBD where the property prices were already silly. And they wanted to do that because of the drive to stop the CBD being dead space filled with bankers during the day and nobody at night had been recognised in policies that tried to encourage cultural uses, etc.

You don't fix the mess of Sydney by tacking on alleys, or trams, or sports stadiums; you fix it by sacking the numbnuts who screwed it up and recognise that a vibrant CBD has a value that's greater than a nimby's moans.
What mess? The Sydney CBD is fine. Its probably the best CBD in the country offering the most with its myriad of tunnels, back alley's, surrounded by parks and gardens on one side and water on 2 other sides.

Last week I was dragged into a wine bar on the way home. To get to it you had to go through a barbers shop. Weird. Left at 2am. Wife not happy. No lock laws there.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And they put Lisbon above London. Your article doesn't have much street cred.

You couldn't even get the eating bit right. A typical meal in Perth is 25% more expensive than Sydney
Are you so Anglophile as to be totally ignorant to cities like Lisbon? One of my favourite top ten as it is and I'd rate it on a human level above the dreadful place London has become.

I think you'll find the outrageous Perth eating out prices very well covered by me.

As for getting things wrong you are the champ. Gold medal.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What mess? The Sydney CBD is fine. Its probably the best CBD in the country offering the most with its myriad of tunnels, back alley's, surrounded by parks and gardens on one side and water on 2 other sides.

Last week I was dragged into a wine bar on the way home. To get to it you had to go through a barbers shop. Weird. Left at 2am. Wife not happy. No lock laws there.
Best CBD in the county hardly such much in a country that doesn't do CBD's terribly well. I'd rate Melbourne's higher though. Interesting CBD's are really in other places.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bloody unions. Greedy pricks want a 6% pay rise. Time to start training more drivers.

Its rare we get union issues here. Everyone hates unions here.

I wouldn't want to be a train driver returning to work next week. They are going to get lynched.

Surely not. The hatred for banksters and the cost they have imposed across the globe somehow puts Unions in the shade. Naughty unions trying to get a better deal for their members. How dare they.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You should be able to tell me how that effects your life. You own a place in Perth and have lost hundreds of thousands since the resources crash.

How does that sit with you?

If Sydney actually does crash for a moment in time, no skin off my nose. I don't need to sell. As soon as the planning application is approved, cnstruction starts on a 3rd living space and a 5th bedroom with ensuite. Not many of those freestanding houses in within 10km's of the city.

Its all supply and demand. Its all about having something rare, creating resentment (easy game to play with you), building desperation in something many want. Real Estate 101.

Again knowledge razor thin. I don't live in Kambalda or any other mining town where the scenario you quote did eventuate.

It's about locality. Prices largely intact in the inner city but rents have declined. On a personal level many hundreds of thousands ahead never having a mortgage.

No its about paying to much for an over inflated product. Renovations will add to that cost and I know from industry sources, doesn't necessary increase the value to what was spent. Often doesn't, but may keep value.

Probably being Sydney, there will always be a mug that will pay over the value.....granted. Just not as dependable as previous times.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Again knowledge razor thin. I don't live in Kambalda or any other mining town where the scenario you quote did eventuate.

It's about locality. Prices largely intact in the inner city but rents have declined. On a personal level many hundreds of thousands ahead never having a mortgage.

No its about paying to much for an over inflated product. Renovations will add to that cost and I know from industry sources, doesn't necessary increase the value to what was spent. Often doesn't, but may keep value.

Probably being Sydney, there will always be a mug that will pay over the value.....granted. Just not as dependable as previous times.
Perth has dropped. You are in negative equity. Bad luck sonny.

I have already made 8%. There's my buffer. I made 1.8% last quarter while property in not so desirable locations lost.

And like you, even if it drops over the next couple of years, I am not in it for the quick flip so its a non issue. Budgets set, rates locked in, cost of turning it into a yummy mummy's panty wetter all accounted for.

European skiing in a few weeks. How does that sit with you and your moth ridden wallet?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Best CBD in the county hardly such much in a country that doesn't do CBD's terribly well. I'd rate Melbourne's higher though. Interesting CBD's are really in other places.
All Australian CBD's are pretty crap on international standard. Melbourne comes in second because of its graffiti riddled alley's.

It comes in last place in risk of being mowed down by a car or attacked by a gang of Sudanese youth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.