Perth to Cairns

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Muppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the rough
Default Perth to Cairns

Hi, We have been living in Perth for 4 years now, but are now thinking of moving on - across to Cairns in fact. Does anyone have any advice of suburbs to live in? I know this is a very broad question - we are a couple in mid and late 30's, no children yet - but there may be by the time we move, and a dog. We will probably be looking to move this time next year. I have been told that there is a possibility I will be made redundant then so we are thinking that may be the best time to go.
Hubby is a chef and I work in accounts. I'm sure he won't have a problem getting work, but not so sure about me.
Any ideas of areas to live would be great, and any helpful hints along the way appreciated.
This is still just an idea we are exploring - and have figured if we can move across the world, then we can move across a country.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice
Smile Re: Perth to Cairns

Was up there late last year for a few days. Nice place. Suggest you just go there and take a short term rental until you get your bearings.

Watch out for the stingers though from Nov to May even in netted safety areas. they still get through.

Work wise you won't have a problem. There's a high demand for accounts experienced people throughout Oz and Cairns will be no different.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Muppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the roughMuppett is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Perth to Cairns

Originally Posted by nzer57
Was up there late last year for a few days. Nice place. Suggest you just go there and take a short term rental until you get your bearings.

Watch out for the stingers though from Nov to May even in netted safety areas. they still get through.

Work wise you won't have a problem. There's a high demand for accounts experienced people throughout Oz and Cairns will be no different.
Thanks for your reply - we have already been up there, and do plan to rent for a bit, but looking for suggestions of areas. 4 years since we have last been there, hope to go again shortly, but would like to narrow down the reccie beforehand. Weird thing is we'd never been to Oz before we emigrated, yet now that we are considering moving within Oz we seem to be more cautious !
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:17 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muppett
Thanks for your reply - we have already been up there, and do plan to rent for a bit, but looking for suggestions of areas. 4 years since we have last been there, hope to go again shortly, but would like to narrow down the reccie beforehand. Weird thing is we'd never been to Oz before we emigrated, yet now that we are considering moving within Oz we seem to be more cautious !
i could give you a few suggestions but due to the rapid rate of development things will be different next year. there are new suburbs springing up everywhere. i live on the northern beaches but we are looking at the idea of moving closer to town due to the rapid expansion of the smithfield area. the highway speed is about to be cut to 60kms ( yes the main highway north). theres about 2500 house blocks to go in in the next couple of years which means more traffic lights and traffic. its pretty much the same on the south side.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:28 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, We have been living in Perth for 4 years now, but are now thinking of moving on - across to Cairns in fact. Does anyone have any advice of suburbs to live in? I know this is a very broad question - we are a couple in mid and late 30's, no children yet - but there may be by the time we move, and a dog. We will probably be looking to move this time next year. I have been told that there is a possibility I will be made redundant then so we are thinking that may be the best time to go.
Hubby is a chef and I work in accounts. I'm sure he won't have a problem getting work, but not so sure about me.
Any ideas of areas to live would be great, and any helpful hints along the way appreciated.
This is still just an idea we are exploring - and have figured if we can move across the world, then we can move across a country.
Avoid the three 'M's (Manoora, Manunda and Mooroobool); I live in Cairns North just down from the hospital where I work and feel perfectly safe.

If you want to be near a beach, there are several satellite communities to the North of Cairns and the main consideration there I suppose is whether you mind being under the flight path of Cairns International airport or not (some of these communities are, some aren't). I'm directly under the flight path and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but each to their own.

If you want a larger block near the forest, then you have national parks (Barron Gorge and Dinden), walling Cairns in from the west and so there's lots of choice of beautiful locations some with fantastic views.

If you want lots of facilities close to hand, well quite frankly Cairns isn't all that big, so it shouldn't take you ages to get anywhere. The main shopping areas are the CBD, Earlsville, Raintrees and Smithfield. It looks also as if there will soon be another major centre between Edmonton and Gordonvale being developed.

Hope that helps a tad!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:40 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Avoid the three 'M's (Manoora, Manunda and Mooroobool); I live in Cairns North just down from the hospital where I work and feel perfectly safe.

If you want to be near a beach, there are several satellite communities to the North of Cairns and the main consideration there I suppose is whether you mind being under the flight path of Cairns International airport or not (some of these communities are, some aren't). I'm directly under the flight path and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but each to their own.

If you want a larger block near the forest, then you have national parks (Barron Gorge and Dinden), walling Cairns in from the west and so there's lots of choice of beautiful locations some with fantastic views.

If you want lots of facilities close to hand, well quite frankly Cairns isn't all that big, so it shouldn't take you ages to get anywhere. The main shopping areas are the CBD, Earlsville, Raintrees and Smithfield. It looks also as if there will soon be another major centre between Edmonton and Gordonvale being developed.

Hope that helps a tad!
just to note some of cairns most expensive properties are in the m burbs. its not fair to generalise them as all bad.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:49 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
just to note some of cairns most expensive properties are in the m burbs. its not fair to generalise them as all bad.
I didn't. I just said avoid them. I walk everywhere as I don't have a car and have been on foot through these suburbs on my very long treks.

Furthermore, where I grew up in London had some of the highest house prices in the country and some beautiful properties, and some famous people living in my street. But it was a bloody dangerous place because of the crime. The three 'M's remind me of that in a sense. If you're not aware of these suburbs, then I would recommend not living there until you've familiarised yourself with Cairns and are then in a position to make your own judgement on these places.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies so far - it's really appreciated. What's the price of land in a normal new land division these days and is there plenty of it around? We are building in Perth - and looking to sell this time next year - fingers crossed the market doesn't move too much in that time.
And, how much am I looking at for a 4 x 2 in the suburbs you have suggested? I would like to be looking at spending no more than $400,000 - is this realistic?
What is the rental market like in Cairns also - I would be happy with a unit, but as we have a dog we need somewhere that has space for her to run around?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:31 am
youngy73

Thanks for the replies so far - it's really appreciated. What's the price of land in a normal new land division these days and is there plenty of it around? We are building in Perth - and looking to sell this time next year - fingers crossed the market doesn't move too much in that time.
And, how much am I looking at for a 4 x 2 in the suburbs you have suggested? I would like to be looking at spending no more than $400,000 - is this realistic?
What is the rental market like in Cairns also - I would be happy with a unit, but as we have a dog we need somewhere that has space for her to run around?
you will struggle to get a decent 4x2 in a reasonable suburb for $400,000.house blocks are pretty much a min of $150000. then the building costs are very high here. a bog standard spec home with one of the bigger builders will be around the $ 1000 a sqm.most 4x2 would be atleast 200sqm. so by the time you pay all the taxes, do your landscaping, fencing, blinds etc you would be getting towards $400000 if you build. rental vacancy rates are about 2% here so the market is tight and rents are rising. most units wont allow pets.i would not walk around cairns north at night either. its got some dodgy spots. my wife regularly attends a few addresses around there. basically dont walk around any of the city burbs at night especially if you have had a few
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by youngy73
you will struggle to get a decent 4x2 in a reasonable suburb for $400,000.house blocks are pretty much a min of $150000. then the building costs are very high here. a bog standard spec home with one of the bigger builders will be around the $ 1000 a sqm.most 4x2 would be atleast 200sqm. so by the time you pay all the taxes, do your landscaping, fencing, blinds etc you would be getting towards $400000 if you build. rental vacancy rates are about 2% here so the market is tight and rents are rising. most units wont allow pets.i would not walk around cairns north at night either. its got some dodgy spots. my wife regularly attends a few addresses around there. basically dont walk around any of the city burbs at night especially if you have had a few
OK - thanks for all your info - it just gives us something to think about over the next few months as nothing is set in concrete yet. I'm still a bit iffy over the whole heat and humidity thing - so that is something I will need to get my head around first.
I thought I might be pushing my luck with the real estate prices - but my aim is to get my mortgage as low as is feasible - and that ain't going to happen here in Perth anytime soon - unless I go back to my original dream of living in camper van :-)
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

OK - thanks for all your info - it just gives us something to think about over the next few months as nothing is set in concrete yet. I'm still a bit iffy over the whole heat and humidity thing - so that is something I will need to get my head around first.
I thought I might be pushing my luck with the real estate prices - but my aim is to get my mortgage as low as is feasible - and that ain't going to happen here in Perth anytime soon - unless I go back to my original dream of living in camper van :-)
The question on Cairns suburbs have been asked before. Search the forum.

Time your move for now (the end of the wet season) so you have a chance to acclimatise. Look for accom for air con.

WW
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I did a run down on the suburbs recently.
Have sent you a PM.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Bix;4683977]I did a run down on the suburbs recently.
/[QUOTE]

If property values crash we know who to blame

WW
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=wanderingwombat;4684040][quote=Bix;4683977]I did a run down on the suburbs recently.
/

If property values crash we know who to blame

WW