Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth to brisbane

perth to brisbane

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:22 am
Just Joined

knockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default perth to brisbane

my wife and i and 8 year old girl moved from yorkshire to bunbury in the southwest of w.a .but are finding it to be too quiet we have been thinking of a move to brisbane but would like a holiday there first.anyone feel the same as us or do you think we need to give it more time,we,ve been here 9 months.im a plasterer and have city guilds bricklaying aswell.if anyone can give us any advise it we would be greatfull.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future
Default Re: perth to brisbane

Hi

We have just came back from holidaying in WA (Rockingham) with OH, kids and mum. Me and OH went over to The Sunshine Coast Qld for 4 days as we had been thinking about moving over to Oz but was not too sure what state to go. Our friends live in WA but we heard Qld was more livelier. I would definitely recommend you to look into moving over that side as it is alot nicer and more things to do.

My opinion on both is WA is really nice more laid back not much to do but Queensland is not that far from other states i.e. Sydney Melbourne and if you want to be laid back there you can too and the beaches are stunning. So it all depends on your lifestyle?

Hope this helps?? Oh but the cost of living is a little more expensive as your typical 4 bed 2 bath house in a nice area will cost around $400-$500 dollars. But Higher wages I have been told!!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Oh and I forgot to say that Sunshine Coast are crying out for Bricklayers thats what my husband would be doing when we go over. They are building masses of new houses a little like WA at the moment the boom is hitting Queensland infact they havent got enough brickies. The areas we noticed getting developed were Pelican Waters, Kawana, Sippy Downs, Little Mountain.

Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Perth for several months and reallly hated the place. I have been living in Brisbane QLD for some time now and ironically was my fourth choice after Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane. Because of the humidity (Not a problem at all, dont think it is humid another Oz myth).

I, after perth went to Adelaide for a few weeks, then melbourne for a couple of weeks and finally Brisbane.

My experience has been that the States are very very different from each other. I personally think Perth /WA is definately a love it or hate it place but with Qld you dont feel as isolated although as everywhere else in Oz, things are far from perfect.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by p l d k
I lived in Perth for several months and reallly hated the place. I have been living in Brisbane QLD for some time now and ironically was my fourth choice after Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane. Because of the humidity (Not a problem at all, dont think it is humid another Oz myth).

I, after perth went to Adelaide for a few weeks, then melbourne for a couple of weeks and finally Brisbane.

My experience has been that the States are very very different from each other. I personally think Perth /WA is definately a love it or hate it place but with Qld you dont feel as isolated although as everywhere else in Oz, things are far from perfect.

How long have you lived in Oz for? and what do you mean by the comment Oz is far from perfect if you dont mind me asking!! I suppose nowhere is!

And is that you settle in Brisbane now??
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

In total I have lived in OZ for nearly three years.

The comment about everything not being perfect is that after reading this site for several months I have noticed that many people put their new country on a very high pedestal, many have never even been here. So the comment about perfection is just that there are social economic problems and crime, people do through rubbish out of their cars and spray graffiti etc.

We even have our own Suspected Terrorists now.

I hope these comments do not cause outrage amongst this forum.

I am settled now and have no plans to return to the UK, still miss things though. Whilst out shopping today we bumped into another Englsh couple who are returning to the UK after 8 months. Emigration is a very rocky road for most, especially Tradies. I seem to meet lots of Pommies that have just arrived and lots who have been here 10-15 years not many in between though? I have read that as many as 50% return within 2 years not sure how accurate that is?

I hope people dont get tired of my advice but, come out here for a holiday first and do a bit of travel. Leave your stuff in the uk and dont ship till you are sure. I think it is as expensive to ship from perth to brisbane as it is from uk to perth?
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:21 am
Just Joined

knockout is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks pldk for your reply.can you give us some areas to look at,as we hope to holiday there early next year.i have a mate going to robina but i heared its a bit pricey.were not bothered if were in land abit,but able to get to places.cheers knockout
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:32 am
Account Closed

I would suggest that unless you are a lottery winner the type of work you do is very important with regards to areas. Obvious I know

Best tip is narrow it down to Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast then read the excellent posts on the EP website about the different areas as well as Realestate.com.au
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hope this helps?? Oh but the cost of living is a little more expensive as your typical 4 bed 2 bath house in a nice area will cost around $400-$500 dollars. But Higher wages I have been told!! [/QUOTE]

Hope you dont mind me commenting, but those house prices are very similar to WA. Over the past 18 months the cost of property here has rocketed, it does now appear to be levelling off slightly