Perth - Asians

Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:37 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Perth - Asians

Originally Posted by Larissa
I think she found England to be more racist, but it was more an underlying thing... people wouldn't insult her to her face but they just weren't that friendly / accepting and didn't include her.
My wife found England to be very much the same as you described.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Jack van Tongeren is still around(out of jail), but on his way to court now I think. There was some stuff happening last year.

I wouldn't live in the South eastern suburbs if I were you, to many 'bogons' as Renth says.
Even though there is a big mix of people down here (I work in Maddington, near Gosnells), I think that there'll be more problems down here.

I think you'll be fine central or north, and probably south on the coast.
I don't think it's worse than anywhere else.
I wouldn't call Perth a white city with a few ghetto's.

Skyworks is the yearly fireworks on AUstralia Day. A very big event, lots of people, lots of drunken youths etc etc(not in all places, King's Park was very quiet, well this year anyway)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya mankuna

try a couple of these links for more info on Perth's Sikh population.

http://www.sikh.com.au/inaus/index.h...html~bottomaus

http://www.ecu.edu.au/SSC/chaplaincy/faith.html

I go to a satsang on Sundays at Shenton Park and there is a lot of indian families attending.

Unfortunately you get racist pigs wherever you live! hopefully you won't encounter any!

love sophia xx
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Leaver is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My wife found England to be very much the same as you described.
If it's not too personal ABC, where is she from? My wife felt exactly the same - it was never explicit. Sometimes patronising, sometimes just exclusive (excluding?) behaviour.
Unfortunately, we've worked with (steady!) Australians in the past and experienced similar behaviour which was what triggered my thread in the first place. Just for the sake of balance, we've also worked with some fabulous Aussies who really were the salt of the Earth.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:44 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Basically there are dickheads and wankers everywhere. I just look in the mirror to see one.

There are soooo many asians in Perth, almost everyone wont even think twice about it, but there will be some comments from the low lifes, but I would just tell them where to go (but thats easier for me to say than your wife).

There are pockets in Perth where there are a higher concentration of asians and this would be around the uni's and school as there is many that coming over to learn. Kardinya, Winthrop are some down south, and there are plenty in the western suburbs that have loads of money.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I work in retail in Perth city, so see the comings and goings of almost everyone. You wouldnt believe the amount of asians there are, so tell your wife not too worry. Also loads of lovely nice asian places to eat as well!!!!!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:08 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

A good friend of mine (Indian) and his Thai wife were over in Perth last year and couldn't believe how many asian people were around - they found it a fantastic experience.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Mankuna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren
Basically there are dickheads and wankers everywhere. I just look in the mirror to see one. .
I know the feeling! I stay away from mirrors...

Great feedback guys...

I think we all agree that no place is completely free of this kind of thing.

God, I wish I would hear something about my 457.... My x-rays have were delivered about 10 days ago and still nothing. I am nervous as hell. If I got denied it would be devastating. The doctor who took them said they looked fine so I am probably worrying about nothing. I can't wait to leave Houston!

(Hey Sophia, thanks for the tip about Satsang on sunday.....I must admid I am not an avid follower, but my dad is. The most I do is visit the gurdwara now and again to keep my wife happy. Great to hear from you though!.)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Leaver is on a distinguished road

Yes - thanks for the replies - very reassuring.
One other thing - and I know that this has been explored in other areas but probably not from this angle. In terms of the suburbs - are there any recommendations for culturally diverse areas which are vibrant and yet safe, good schools etc. I know to a certain extent it's about exploring before you buy - which we're happy to do - but I'd appreciate a few names of areas so that I can do preliminary research. Thanks for the areas of possibles to avoid! (The stress on 'possibles' in the hope of preventing offence being caused!)
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:38 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leaver
Yes - thanks for the replies - very reassuring.
One other thing - and I know that this has been explored in other areas but probably not from this angle. In terms of the suburbs - are there any recommendations for culturally diverse areas which are vibrant and yet safe, good schools etc.
I wonder about this too. As has been said, there's heaps of Asians etc etc around, but I do wonder which suburbs they mainly live.
Because the suburbs I know well, there aren't many, not like all the British in Joondalup and Mandurah areas for example.
I have a feeling 'they' might be more spread out, though there are probably a few suburbs which have a higher %?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:59 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
I wonder about this too. As has been said, there's heaps of Asians etc etc around, but I do wonder which suburbs they mainly live.
Because the suburbs I know well, there aren't many, not like all the British in Joondalup and Mandurah areas for example.
I have a feeling 'they' might be more spread out, though there are probably a few suburbs which have a higher %?
South Perth has a large (wealthy) asian population.