Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne

Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Funny that...Since I moved away and stopped hanging around you and Julia I haven't had any guys try to pick me up.

Maybe we'll have to have a girlie night out in Perth.....do you think they are ready for me and Julia there yet, or shoud we give them a few more years

(I went out with Tiggs a while back, and we picked up some AFL guys )

Last edited by Wendy; Nov 2nd 2008 at 10:06 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Maybe we'll have to have a girlie night out in Perth.....do you think they are ready for me and Julia there yet, or shoud we give them a few more years

(I went out with Tiggs a while back, and we picked up some AFL guys )
You tramp! How come all I could pull was a drunken plonker on a footy weekend with his mates? I used to work with a girl who's boyfriend plays for the Crows. Wonder if he was one of them.

I think if you and Julia came over here nobody could complain that Perth was boring anymore. Any time you girls come over you know you've got a place to stay and someone to go out with. No Starbucks close by where I live, but there are plenty of other places.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy;

a lady on here was asking me a question regarding the exams at PEER she said if by some chance her hubby fails can he do the exams again the day after.?? i told her in my opinion he may have to sign up again to resit the lot, whats your thoughts on this one.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:07 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Melbourne every time!!

I could not live in Perth or Adelaide (I had family in both, but all have moved on to cities with 'more to offer'). While they may be pleasant cities, I need more than that to entice me to live somewhere. Melbourne has so many suburbs that have their own character and their own appeal. The public transport is good enough that you can travel to any of them in a short time. You don't ever feel stuck in the suburbs.

Melbourne has the arts and culture and variety and shops and everything you could possibly want. It's not the world's most beautiful city, but after a while you need more than the superficial for a place to appeal to you.

In fact, just a few weeks ago it seemed I would be moving back overseas at the beginning of next year, but it now seems I will be moving to Melbourne instead, and I could not be happier.

I recently read a Rough Guide description of Perth. It basically said that from a tourist's point of view there wasn't much to recommend it, because its greatest asset was that it was a place for immigrants to move to to 'enjoy the good life'. I know ‘the good life’ is what people move to Australia for, but after a while it’s a bit trying.
I think that Melbourne trumps the other two because there is more to living there than a few beaches and suburban bliss. For me that's just not enough.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice

I think if you and Julia came over here nobody could complain that Perth was boring anymore. Any time you girls come over you know you've got a place to stay and someone to go out with. No Starbucks close by where I live, but there are plenty of other places.
LOL. If Starbucks is where the 'action' is in Perth, then I'm sure as hell glad I left
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Good look with your decision Tracey, I really hope you find somewhere that's right for you.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You tramp! How come all I could pull was a drunken plonker on a footy weekend with his mates? I used to work with a girl who's boyfriend plays for the Crows. Wonder if he was one of them.

I can't remember their names, or anything much about them at all really

There is no Starbucks in Adelaide now either, we have to make do with Gloria Jeans!!

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Wendy;

a lady on here was asking me a question regarding the exams at PEER she said if by some chance her hubby fails can he do the exams again the day after.?? i told her in my opinion he may have to sign up again to resit the lot, whats your thoughts on this one.
I have no idea Arthur, sorry.

Originally Posted by Rapido
LOL. If Starbucks is where the 'action' is in Perth, then I'm sure as hell glad I left
No, I think you have what Dorothy said wrong there, she means there's always action wherever me and my friends are!, it doesn't matter where it is, we can liven it up
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:29 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilliman
I'm on my way out to Oz in Feb, busy trying to find work. Im an FMCG supply chain manager
What products?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Melbourne every time!!

I could not live in Perth or Adelaide (I had family in both, but all have moved on to cities with 'more to offer'). While they may be pleasant cities, I need more than that to entice me to live somewhere. Melbourne has so many suburbs that have their own character and their own appeal. The public transport is good enough that you can travel to any of them in a short time. You don't ever feel stuck in the suburbs.

Melbourne has the arts and culture and variety and shops and everything you could possibly want. It's not the world's most beautiful city, but after a while you need more than the superficial for a place to appeal to you.

In fact, just a few weeks ago it seemed I would be moving back overseas at the beginning of next year, but it now seems I will be moving to Melbourne instead, and I could not be happier.

I recently read a Rough Guide description of Perth. It basically said that from a tourist's point of view there wasn't much to recommend it, because its greatest asset was that it was a place for immigrants to move to to 'enjoy the good life'. I know ‘the good life’ is what people move to Australia for, but after a while it’s a bit trying.
I think that Melbourne trumps the other two because there is more to living there than a few beaches and suburban bliss. For me that's just not enough.
Am finding Perth a little hard going also in the Life stakes or lack off.We are also going to take a look at Melbourne in Febuary.Liked it when visited many years ago when on holiday from Europe.
It will be back to London or to a European city if can not get the buzz that am searching.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

I have been to perth and Brisbane and currently live in Adelaide.If you find perth boring I feel sure you will find adelaide boring too

After a couple of weeks it feels like you have seen everything
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

"Melbourne has the arts and culture and variety and shops and everything you could possibly want. It's not the world's most beautiful city, but after a while you need more than the superficial for a place to appeal to you."

First sentence - agree totally, but you can include sport, great pubs, weird subcultures, awesome graffiti to the list. As for the second, it may not have the harbour of Sydney, but there are plenty of beautiful aspects, such as many of the views of the city from the suburbs or the bay, particularly at night, the parks, walking along the Yarra both close to the CBD and further out, the Bayside, etc.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Am finding Perth a little hard going also in the Life stakes or lack off.We are also going to take a look at Melbourne in Febuary.Liked it when visited many years ago when on holiday from Europe.
It will be back to London or to a European city if can not get the buzz that am searching.
It's got a buzz for sure. Whether it's the same as London or a major European city is a moot point however. Melburnians may not all like to admit it, but we're right out on a limb here and nowhere near the centre of the world. However, Melbourne to me is like a separate entity of its own, unlike the rest of Australia (although sharing some Aussie traits), which has its own thriving lifestyle and culture and which, thankfully, I have fallen for since moving here eight months ago. You can have a great life here very easily (although it's not cheap) and I can't imagine why anyone wanting a buzz would live in any other Aussie city.

That said, while I've been tvery other major city, Perth I have not visited.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracey O
Hi

We have now been in Perth for 1 year. It's a lovely place, but too quiet for us. There doesn't seem to be alot of choice of 'entertainment' and we have done every touristy thing to be done.

Now rather than go back to the UK, I would like to try Adelaide and Melbourne to see if that suits us more...... I, for one love restaurants, cafes and bars. I like old buildings (I know I know) and just generally mooching about.

I guess my question is open to those that have tried Perth and Melbourne or Perth and Adelaide. What made you leave Perth and is it better where you are now?

I know everyone wants different things out of Australia, and I am guessing that what we want, we would be better off in the UK, but before we bite that bullet we need to try different areas'

Thanks
Tracey
If you're bored with Perth because there's not much going on - forget Adelaide.

Melbourne has far more life and soul, but be wary - the weather's not a patch on Perth.

So, I'd thoroughly recommend taking a look at Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
What products?
I've been focused on pub retailing in the UK in recent years - have done drink & food! Plus a period at Coca-Cola & schweppes beverages doing packaging materials!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Hi there!! hey we do have a Starbucks in Adelaide, theres atleast one in Rundle Mall..... !!

But seriously Im with others who say if you find Perth dull, don't even consider Adelaide! I liked Perth, though I was only there a few weeks. ofcourse you are more isolated in Perth, atleast we can get out quite easily! off to Sydney next week.....

Id go and have a look round Melbourne.....
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:07 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

God you poms make me laugh, i have lived in South Australia , for 45 years , and Adelaide is a little part of it , there is heaps to see and do here.. if you dont like Perth, you wont like Adelaide .
I find the East sea board , Sydney ,Melb, Bris ,Claustrophobic .........but ..thats my OHP........mm
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Reading this, it seems it really depends on what you're used too.

To me, Adelaide seems like a huge busy city! That's because in the UK, I live in a small village in the countryside. So me going to Adelaide is going to be a complete culture shock.

When I've been there before, I keep thinking "how could I ever get bored here?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.