Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne

Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all
Default Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne

Hi

We have now been in Perth for 1 year. It's a lovely place, but too quiet for us. There doesn't seem to be alot of choice of 'entertainment' and we have done every touristy thing to be done.

Now rather than go back to the UK, I would like to try Adelaide and Melbourne to see if that suits us more...... I, for one love restaurants, cafes and bars. I like old buildings (I know I know) and just generally mooching about.

I guess my question is open to those that have tried Perth and Melbourne or Perth and Adelaide. What made you leave Perth and is it better where you are now?

I know everyone wants different things out of Australia, and I am guessing that what we want, we would be better off in the UK, but before we bite that bullet we need to try different areas'

Thanks
Tracey
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne

Originally Posted by Tracey O
Hi

We have now been in Perth for 1 year. It's a lovely place, but too quiet for us. There doesn't seem to be alot of choice of 'entertainment' and we have done every touristy thing to be done.

Now rather than go back to the UK, I would like to try Adelaide and Melbourne to see if that suits us more...... I, for one love restaurants, cafes and bars. I like old buildings (I know I know) and just generally mooching about.

I guess my question is open to those that have tried Perth and Melbourne or Perth and Adelaide. What made you leave Perth and is it better where you are now?

I know everyone wants different things out of Australia, and I am guessing that what we want, we would be better off in the UK, but before we bite that bullet we need to try different areas'

Thanks
Tracey
If you are able why not pop across and visit Melbourne and Adelaide and see for yourself?

Our resident Adelaide expert Wendy will no doubt give you the view from SA.

From Melbourne we have alot of cafe/restaurants from the huge immigrate population from Italy, Greece, Asia and middle east. You name the ethnic food and you can probably get it anywhere in Melbourne.

Housing is very varied and while externally may look period most are very contempory inside with most single fronted developing out the back into double storey 4 bed 2 baths.

supermarkets are literally always open. I think most around here are 24 hours over the weekend.

Have no real idea of Perth to do comparison with in regard transportation but public is very good if you pay the premium to live closer to town (much the same world over). Motorways are getting better with new toll roads opening and existing motorways having lane extensions etc.

Alot of sporting and public events too attend and great place to get fit with the "flat" cycling ways running along the yarra.

Easy place to bring up the kids and you cannot be disappointed with the selection of varied beaches (ie bay or surf, sand or rocky).

Lastly would mention the wineries but Wendy will then bring up SA
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne are 3 entirely different cities. If you are finding Perth quiet and slow, I'm afraid you might find Adelaide the same. While I loved it there, it is rather slower paced than say Melbourne or Sydney or Brisbane. You will find lots of older buildings in Adelaide and a nice cafe strip in North Adelaide I personally think Melbourne would be more suited to someone who's looking for more entertainment.

When we first arrived in Australia I was offered a job in Melbourne, which I would have taken in a heartbeat. I loved Melbourne and still wish we'd moved there instead of over here to Perth...Not that I don't love where we are now, mind.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

I did think that about Adelaide...... Think I may have to take a trip to melbourne....

Thanks

T
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I did think that about Adelaide...... Think I may have to take a trip to melbourne....

Thanks

T
I live in Somerly, too, so if you want to get together I can tell you more about the pros & cons of my experiences in Adelaide. Just PM me if you like. I walk my dog most evenings around 7 so if you live nearby maybe we can meet in one of the hundreds of parks.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Rapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really niceRapido is just really nice

I spent seven years in Perth and found it a soulless place - the most isolated city in the world and that is reflected in the insularity of its population. Nice folk don't get me wrong but not exactly brimming with 'weltanschaung' (sp?). It's Utopia for them though - clean, warm etc.

When I packed my V8 and drove to Sydney I felt a massive weight lift from my shoulders (I also love Melbourne too). Sydney and Melbourne feel 'old', and while they are both much, much bigger than Perth, in many ways they feel smaller. You can walk around the centre of Sydney and there's plenty of public transport to the 'burbs, but you need a car to visit your friends in Perth.

Pubs much better in Melbourne (lots of character and characters) than they are in both Perth and Sydney (Sydney pubs are largely like big drinking dens although there are nice ones to be found). Great music scene, both in pubs and larger venues, in both cities

Haven't spent any time in Adelaide or Brissy but doubt if you'll be inundated with fab reports from either. Adelaide has a rep of being sedate (although highest per capita murderers I believe) and Brisbane is......Brisbane.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

I'm having a similar debate although my choices are Perth, Melbourne or Sydney. I have family in Perth, visited 5 times so far, been to Sydney 3 times, Melbourne once on a reci on my validation trip in 2005.

I'm on my way out to Oz in Feb, busy trying to find work. Im an FMCG supply chain manager so Perth or Sydney is where the works at. At the moment I'm focusing on Melbourne - seemed like a great place when I was there!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really have much to say on this because I haven't been anywhere other than SA, so can't compare the above places - but I am happy here in Adelaide and I find there's enough going on to keep me entertained (usually just in my own life than anything )

What I would suggest though is that you take a 6 week tour or something and get a feel for the places. It's gotta be cheaper and easier to do that than either relocate yourself to another state which you may love or hate, or head back to the UK and then feel like you have unfinished business.

At the end of the day, no-one can tell you where is better for you because we all expect different things and have different experiences in our life that make us 'feel' right or wrong in our choices.

I come from somewhere pretty dire, so I don't have high expectations and would be happy living anywhere other than there (even NZ would be better ) Just to show you what I mean here are some pics I found of my 'home' town yesterday!! Shocker

Disclaimer: the NZ thing is a joke, I've never been - but it looks like a beautiful place
Attached Thumbnails Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne-n1166830580_30154116_9603.jpg   Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne-n674558637_1309424_8179.jpg   Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne-n654455634_4385314_3327.jpg   Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne-n654455634_4385220_1293.jpg   Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne-n654455634_4385217_8639.jpg  

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rapido
a soulless place - the most isolated city in the world and that is reflected in the insularity of its population.
This is exactly how my other half describes it here!!

Thanks for your thoughts, I will be taking them on board! We went to Sydney for New Year and to be honest I wasn't taken with it. I found it very disappointing as a city, but was in awe of that bridge. It was soooo much bigger than I expected!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
I come from somewhere pretty dire, so I don't have high expectations and would be happy living anywhere other than there
We come from Slough, and if we go back to the UK, we can safely say that we will NOT be going back to Slough.

I was in the UK last week, and when I was in Slough I felt like a weight was on my shoulders. When we went to other areas I immediatly felt better and happier about being in the UK.

I now wonder if we should of moved out of Slough rather than out of the UK
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We come from Slough, and if we go back to the UK, we can safely say that we will NOT be going back to Slough.

I was in the UK last week, and when I was in Slough I felt like a weight was on my shoulders. When we went to other areas I immediatly felt better and happier about being in the UK.

I now wonder if we should of moved out of Slough rather than out of the UK
Possibly.......not an option for us as we couldn't afford to go anywhere else really. Did look into it.

Mind you, it's always been a dream of mine to live in Australia, so as soon as the chance came up I jumped at it

You know where you live is bad when even pound shops are closing down due to too much competition!!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:46 am
Still alive

Possibly.......not an option for us as we couldn't afford to go anywhere else really. Did look into it.

Mind you, it's always been a dream of mine to live in Australia, so as soon as the chance came up I jumped at it

You know where you live is bad when even pound shops are closing down due to too much competition!!
Wendy, you've been happy since the moment you stepped off the plane. I think you would be happy in a cardboard box so long as it was in Australia. You also have some really great friends in Adelaide, so got very lucky there, too. As much as I like living here in Perth I do miss Adelaide. I loved being able to pop down to Rundle Mall for coffee or up to Tea Tree to do some shopping. I also really miss my good friends there. Oh well, c'est la vie.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Ha Ha That's Funny! The 'credit crunch' must of hit them hard!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Wendy, you've been happy since the moment you stepped off the plane. I think you would be happy in a cardboard box so long as it was in Australia. You also have some really great friends in Adelaide, so got very lucky there, too. As much as I like living here in Perth I do miss Adelaide. I loved being able to pop down to Rundle Mall for coffee or up to Tea Tree to do some shopping. I also really miss my good friends there. Oh well, c'est la vie.

I was happy enough in my cardboard box in the UK too I think you are right with the great friends thing, I have been very lucky there meeting Julia, we're like too peas in a pod (except she's really cheeky and I'm not ) And since you left there are a few more reprobates I have picked up who are equally lovely.

I miss you though, used to love our little sessions outside Starbucks. Especially the times when we attracted all those 'lovely guys'
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:01 am
Still alive

I was happy enough in my cardboard box in the UK too I think you are right with the great friends thing, I have been very lucky there meeting Julia, we're like too peas in a pod (except she's really cheeky and I'm not ) And since you left there are a few more reprobates I have picked up who are equally lovely.

I miss you though, used to love our little sessions outside Starbucks. Especially the times when we attracted all those 'lovely guys'
Funny that...Since I moved away and stopped hanging around you and Julia I haven't had any guys try to pick me up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.