Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth 7 weeks in.....

Perth 7 weeks in.....

Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road
Default Perth 7 weeks in.....

I haven't been on ex-pats since emigrating to Perth 7 weeks ago but felt I should dip in and share my experience so far as I know there are so many people anxious to learn more about peoples experiences 1st hand. Its our second attempt at Oz in a nutshell the first one failed after about 2 months I feel mainly as we had too much "unfinished business" at home..house and business to sell plus I was pregnant. That experience was a nightmare, as our shipment arrived in Perth we literally turned it round and went home. During my time here I woke up every morning feeling sick wondering what on earth we were doing here??
So what made us do it again?? Well I guess because we could! Its hard when you have that visa to turn down the oppotunity of the experience of Oz and for my Husband who had had his business for 20 years and was desperate to not do the same thing for the next 20 years I felt I wanted to support him and allow him to follow his dreams. We had a good business, great house and 3 happy children in England. Some lovely family and friends so I felt a huge amount to "give up" but I believe life changes all the time anyway, even if we don't want it to. I felt it would be wonderful for our kids to grow up with Australian passports. I believe the experience of Oz would be amazing and we are lucky to have that chance and finally we can always come home if it doesn't work out. THIS is something I feel strongly about and it is not in my opinion failing IF this is not for us long term and we return. But from the very beginning and knowing this we decided to enjoy everyday and THE JOURNEY rather than worry about some end result and the burning "pressure" of is this forever?
So Perth let me share my experiences:

It was only when I spoke to My Mum in the U.K the other day and she was saying about being stressed that I realised that in our 7 weeks here I haven't heard anybody talk about being stressed or tired? I remember how they used to be daily vocabulary in England..Perth is very chilled.

Maybe one day its remoteness will be an issue but with three small children there is so much to do on a daily basis that I cannot imagine being bored. Parks, beaches, sports facilities, zoo, the river, life is what you make it and if you decide to LIVE whilst in Perth it is full of life.

We decided early on to put our two school age kids in private school. Mainly as I knew it was a great school but also because I didn't have any idea of when or where we would arrive so needed more stability of where they would be. They have been made so very welcome at school. The facilities are amazing the staff and parents extremely happy and welcoming, the girls have had parties to go to everyother week from week one. I have a huge issue with the fact my 6 year old had done 2 full years Education in the U.K and was in year 2 in the U.K whereas here is in prep. She is WAY ahead and infact has pretty much completed the whole of next year in Oz. However there is not an issue of being bored as she is experiencing so much else. Her classroom is about 5 times the size of her U.K one full of amazing resourcces, she does loads of music, choir, art, P.E and is HAPPY. She comes home tired and can't wait to go in the next day. I could possibly argue for moving her up a year? but we are in Oz now and this is the system I feel she may not be doing the academic things the same but she is learning so much here and I see her enthusiasm just as high..I know the gap will close between the U.K and Oz and for now I'm happy to let her be 6 and enjoy what is on offer here.
As I said the staff and resources have blown us away with how brilliant they are.

Housing: God it has BOOMED in Perth we are looking at getting less than what we had in the U.K and this is because we want to live near the city, because of school and ideally in the western suburbs (coastal) You can buy cheaper property and yes get mansions for your money but you have to be aware of the geographics and whether it is practical for your family. We thought we would spend around $600.000 and now the entry prices to a lot of the suburbs we like say Floreat, Wembley Downs etc are around $800.000 and if we want the 4 beds, pool and it being uptogether then you'll be looking at over $million. Don't get me wrong there is cheaper housing but where we like and what we could afford a few years ago has changed.

People here are wonderful, very friendly, positive etc, there are no other English kids in my girls classes at school and we have been really embraced and welcomed..Aussies really are lovely people.

Homesickness, welll I think in reality if I was extremely happy or sad here the answer would be the same..its only been a couple of months give it time!! I do not have an aching in my stomach thinking "what have I done" I feel we are living this experience and are very lucky. My children keep me very busy and are my family, so if they are happy I'm happy. Of course I miss family and friends in England but over the next 6 months loads are coming over for I know what will be wonderful holidays.We call and Email, although I am sad about how many have not bothered. I feel forgotton about but probably in reality they are just involved in their lives. Look, if the homesickness ever gets too much to bear we could go home but so far my kids life here is Idlyic..we are experiencing life and surrounded by more like minded people, those who have the get up and go to live, positive people and happy people. I cannot tell you how many people I know in the U.K who would love to be where we are but for whatever reason can't.
We will now never look back and wonder "what if?"
Already this has taught me to live for today and not look too far into the future...to enjoy today.

We went to City Beach on Sunday for breakfast. There were dozens of happy families out having fun. We pulled up into the carpark and were hit by the pure blue sky and the blue, blue sea. It is literally breathtaking!!! Its stunning!! In our hearts despite emigrating being VERY HARD WORK we are really living the dream!!!!..for today anyway!!!!
I don't mind if you want to know more if you want to read my blog..I've kept it since I've arrived www.ngarland.com
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:34 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth 7 weeks in.....

Great to hear you're settling in well.
Keep us posted.
Julie.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello sweetie!! You're sounding very positive!! Way to go girl!

Speak to you later xx
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:09 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garland
I haven't been on ex-pats since emigrating to Perth 7 weeks ago but felt I should dip in and share my experience so far as I know there are so many people anxious to learn more about peoples experiences 1st hand. Its our second attempt at Oz in a nutshell the first one failed after about 2 months I feel mainly as we had too much "unfinished business" at home..house and business to sell plus I was pregnant. That experience was a nightmare, as our shipment arrived in Perth we literally turned it round and went home. During my time here I woke up every morning feeling sick wondering what on earth we were doing here??
So what made us do it again?? Well I guess because we could! Its hard when you have that visa to turn down the oppotunity of the experience of Oz and for my Husband who had had his business for 20 years and was desperate to not do the same thing for the next 20 years I felt I wanted to support him and allow him to follow his dreams. We had a good business, great house and 3 happy children in England. Some lovely family and friends so I felt a huge amount to "give up" but I believe life changes all the time anyway, even if we don't want it to. I felt it would be wonderful for our kids to grow up with Australian passports. I believe the experience of Oz would be amazing and we are lucky to have that chance and finally we can always come home if it doesn't work out. THIS is something I feel strongly about and it is not in my opinion failing IF this is not for us long term and we return. But from the very beginning and knowing this we decided to enjoy everyday and THE JOURNEY rather than worry about some end result and the burning "pressure" of is this forever?

It was only when I spoke to My Mum in the U.K the other day and she was saying about being stressed that I realised that in our 7 weeks here I haven't heard anybody talk about being stressed or tired? I remember how they used to be daily vocabulary in England..Perth is very chilled.

Maybe one day its remoteness will be an issue but with three small children there is so much to do on a daily basis that I cannot imagine being bored. Parks, beaches, sports facilities, zoo, the river, life is what you make it and if you decide to LIVE whilst in Perth it is full of life.

We decided early on to put our two school age kids in private school. Mainly as I knew it was a great school but also because I didn't have any idea of when or where we would arrive so needed more stability of where they would be. They have been made so very welcome at school. The facilities are amazing the staff and parents extremely happy and welcoming, the girls have had parties to go to everyother week from week one. I have a huge issue with the fact my 6 year old had done 2 full years Education in the U.K and was in year 2 in the U.K whereas here is in prep. She is WAY ahead and infact has pretty much completed the whole of next year in Oz. However there is not an issue of being bored as she is experiencing so much else. Her classroom is about 5 times the size of her U.K one full of amazing resourcces, she does loads of music, choir, art, P.E and is HAPPY. She comes home tired and can't wait to go in the next day. I could possibly argue for moving her up a year? but we are in Oz now and this is the system I feel she may not be doing the academic things the same but she is learning so much here and I see her enthusiasm just as high..I know the gap will close between the U.K and Oz and for now I'm happy to let her be 6 and enjoy what is on offer here.
As I said the staff and resources have blown us away with how brilliant they are.

Housing: God it has BOOMED in Perth we are looking at getting less than what we had in the U.K and this is because we want to live near the city, because of school and ideally in the western suburbs (coastal) You can buy cheaper property and yes get mansions for your money but you have to be aware of the geographics and whether it is practical for your family. We thought we would spend around $600.000 and now the entry prices to a lot of the suburbs we like say Floreat, Wembley Downs etc are around $800.000 and if we want the 4 beds, pool and it being uptogether then you'll be looking at over $million. Don't get me wrong there is cheaper housing but where we like and what we could afford a few years ago has changed.

People here are wonderful, very friendly, positive etc, there are no other English kids in my girls classes at school and we have been really embraced and welcomed..Aussies really are lovely people.

Homesickness, welll I think in reality if I was extremely happy or sad here the answer would be the same..its only been a couple of months give it time!! I do not have an aching in my stomach thinking "what have I done" I feel we are living this experience and are very lucky. My children keep me very busy and are my family, so if they are happy I'm happy. Of course I miss family and friends in England but over the next 6 months loads are coming over for I know what will be wonderful holidays.We call and Email, although I am sad about how many have not bothered. I feel forgotton about but probably in reality they are just involved in their lives. Look, if the homesickness ever gets too much to bear we could go home but so far my kids life here is Idlyic..we are experiencing life and surrounded by more like minded people, those who have the get up and go to live, positive people and happy people. I cannot tell you how many people I know in the U.K who would love to be where we are but for whatever reason can't.
Already this has taught me to live for today and not look too far into the future...to enjoy today.

We went to City Beach on Sunday for breakfast. There were dozens of happy families out having fun. We pulled up into the carpark and were hit by the pure blue sky and the blue, blue sea. It is literally breathtaking!!! Its stunning!! In our hearts despite emigrating being VERY HARD WORK we are really living the dream!!!!..for today anyway!!!!
I don't mind if you want to know more if you want to read my blog..I've kept it since I've arrived www.ngarland.com
Very good post...just had a peek at your blog but i am tired and need some sleep but i will certainly get back to it tomorrow.

You sound like a very lovely family and i wish you continuous luck and happiness in OZ
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garland

totally agree with you, been here nearly 12 months, no regrets, do miss family and some friends, like you say we have our family with us and they are the future, we have to do what we think is best for them ,have you been down this way, the beautiful south west, you must. Denise