Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Child benefit Australia

Child benefit Australia

Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Question Child benefit Australia

Is there anyone out there who could give me some idea of how much child benefit we are likely to get once we get the PR sorted. We are trying to get an idea of our income/ expenditure to see what sort of mortgage we can look at and haven't a clue what this works out at. We have 4 kids aged 16,7,10 and 3 and hubby earns in the higher tax bracket so we won't get any benefits other than the bottom line. Do we get a child benefit as such or is it all done through the tax system?
Any rough idea would be welcome.
Thanks
Nicky
Old Nov 7th 2005, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child benefit Australia

Originally Posted by NickyP
Is there anyone out there who could give me some idea of how much child benefit we are likely to get once we get the PR sorted. We are trying to get an idea of our income/ expenditure to see what sort of mortgage we can look at and haven't a clue what this works out at. We have 4 kids aged 16,7,10 and 3 and hubby earns in the higher tax bracket so we won't get any benefits other than the bottom line. Do we get a child benefit as such or is it all done through the tax system?
Any rough idea would be welcome.
Thanks
Nicky

Visit http://www.centrelink.gov.au and look up Family Tax Benefit.

While you're at it, visit http://www.ato.gov.au and see how much tax you'll be expected to pay

Jeremy
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is in the higher tax bracket too and we have decided not to claim until the end of the year. We don't think we will be entitiled too much if any and its better to do it that way than have to pay some back. There isn't set amounts no matter what like the UK. Its more like our child tax credit system.

Jo
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Visit http://www.centrelink.gov.au and look up Family Tax Benefit.

While you're at it, visit http://www.ato.gov.au and see how much tax you'll be expected to pay

Jeremy
Thanks for that I have got the base rate of family tax credit and will sort out what tax we will pay in detail once Ian gets his 1st full payslip next week.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joho
My hubby is in the higher tax bracket too and we have decided not to claim until the end of the year. We don't think we will be entitiled too much if any and its better to do it that way than have to pay some back. There isn't set amounts no matter what like the UK. Its more like our child tax credit system.

Jo
We may do the same at least for the first year, just working out whether I have to go out to work or not for us to afford buying a house. Might be better if I spent a bit less though
Nicky