Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - 6 weeks in

Perth - 6 weeks in

Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:42 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth - 6 weeks in

OK, after all of the help that I received from this website I thought that I should write a few words of my first impressions of Perth. I don't seem to able to get on the internet as much these days and so I'll probably write again in about 6 months time with a more clued up report. These are obviously first impressions....

Arrived in early July with Singapore Airlines which were as good as ever. I think that there are two ways of looking at the flight - you either get it all over with and go for the shortest layover - which I think is too knackering. Or you spend anything from 6 hours to a couple of days in Singapore (don't forget that you have the airport hotel at Changi to recharge your batteries for short periods).

I was lucky enough to stay with a friend initially which was a godsend. I was also lucky enough to start work 3 days after arrival which eased the cash situation. Just about as soon as I got out of the airport I logged on to the ATO website to get my TFN (tax file number) - this took about 10 working days to arrive at my address. I just delayed filling in my financial details with my employer until I'd received my TFN to avoid being clobbered at a high tax rate.

I arrived as the advance party - my family arrive in the next 10 days - hence I've not been to Centrelink yet to register for family tax credit/child benefit etc. I also haven't yet registered for medicare - again I'll do it as a job lot next week. Would I advise you to arrive before your family? Possibly - but it depends on your circumstances. Although it has been difficult emotionally, it was definitely better for me to get started in work, get transport sorted out, get to know the area on my own rather than with the family in tow. But on the other hand I've found it difficult to get things done after work - a partner could be getting jobs done whilst you are at work.

First thing I did was to get mobile - hired a car through Bayswater which were pretty good value. They do have a mixed reputation - my car was filthy and stank of fag smoke but for $23 a day I couldn't really complain. Get yourself a good quality street map as soon as you get here also. Contrary to other reports I have found the driving standards to be in line with the UK. The low speed limits really help - and I have seen so many police radar guns being used in school areas that you quickly realise that slow is best! Perth is basically city driving - and you have to be assertive. But generally it is fine.

I have found the road signs and road arrangement to be dire though - very similar to Asian countries - ambiguous, small and absent signs have been my personal nightmare. I also think that in suburban streets, how the junctions have little warnings and are poorly lit are problem areas.

Buying a car has been really stressful! Advertised prices are higher than the UK - although you do tend to get a bigger car. But some prices for 10 year old high mileage cars have been laughable. It took me 3 weeks but I eventually secured the car I wanted for a good price - in the end probably better than the price I'd get in the UK (and at least $2500 cheaper than the dealer was trying to charge). But I did masses of research and spent a few hours after work most nights looking in car yards and visiting homes - a complete pain. As is always the case - do your research (RAC WA has a good page on what to look for in a used car - even I could use and understand it and I'm a complete dunce with cars - BTW it's worthwhile to join RAC WA as an affiliate initially - just $20 - this then gets you access to their used car inspection service if you want it and cheaper full membership when you wish to take it out). I met a particularly dodgy character who was trying to sell a car.... For car yards - Albany Highway, Scarborough Beach Road are two areas which stand out for the number of places. John Hughes (dealer) was pretty impressive but they were the ones who were $2500 above the price I eventually got privately.
West Australian saturday and Weds and Quokka (Weds) are good sources of ads - but be quick.
Whilst the car search was ongoing I needed to keep renewing the car hire. My advice in summary - be patient. Good deals and decent owners are out there!!!

Rental
I've found Perth people to be extremely (and genuinely) friendly - just really nice. The one group of people who I have managed to take an instant dislike to are real estate agents. I don't think that I have encountered such disgraceful attitudes before. Rude, unhelpful, money grabbing would sum it up nicely. Be warned! Houses that I've seen have been expensive and poor value - and in some cases very dirty. We eventually got a decent furnished place for 6 weeks but are paying far too much for it. We intend to rent unfurnished when we know where the long term employment will be. Be very careful of lease contracts and make a point of filling in your contract conditions on the rental form.
Be aware of the fee to the estate agent - one week's rent. This really hurt! It would hurt more if you had to pay this to a particularly nasty low life who exists in the murky world that is real estate.

Education
Not particularly impressed in this area - in fact it is currently one of the major reasons why we won't stay here forever. There is a move afoot to shift towards a more consistent curriculum (as in the UK) but it's all open revolt at the minute. I'm worried about inconsistent standards between classes and schools and teacher accountability - it's all a bit cloudy!

General
Perth as a city is great. Eating is out of this world - Asian food in Northbridge is excellent and good value. The cafes in Subiaco and Fremantle are great and there's just a real buzzing cafe society (and it's still winter!). The parks for kids are superb. Kings Park (and the views) is just stunning. I even like the much maligned CBD - had a great breakfast there this morning. The beaches look great, Rottnest is excellent. General facilties are very good - I went swimming the other day - what a joy after the crowded, dirty cold pool of my local in the UK! Organised activities for kids are also great. Beer's good, wine's good. Excellent public transport system. You can see why people never leave!
It does though remind me of the UK 25 years ago. Shopping is inconvenient - I was in a mall yesterday and they started to pull the door shutters down at 4.50pm!! Late night shopping Thursdays! Internet use for business is less well developed (absent?). Industrial relations and union power remind me of the UK circa 1975.

Costs - as I'd heard and kind of predicted - are in line with the UK. Supermarkets are disappointing - (relatively) poor range of goods and I think often overpriced. Eating out and take away are just great value though. And equivalent activities seem cheaper than the UK or free.

One area of disappointment is the media - generally it's crap. Radio ABC national (810 AM!!) has some good discussion items and The Australian newspaper has saved me from mental health problems - but that's about it. I have found myself getting more into sport - it's now 4.30pm on Sunday and I never thought I'd be counting the minutes before the start of the next ashes test!!
It remains to be seen whether we'll manage financially. I'll report back in a few months. It isn't all doom and gloom though - the tax system takes away but also gives substantial amounts back.
It's bloody freezing in Perth today - but for those of you planning on arriving in Perth in winter there are some glorious days - 22 degrees and above. The locals tell me that we have about 4 weeks left of this before the weather turns and from what I can see the city will be a paradise.

So at this early stage will we stay? Yes, at least for 2 years. After that it depends on what my views of the education system are - that will be the biggest influence.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know - just 6 weeks though so I'm not sure how helpful I can be.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth - 6 weeks in

great post mate, what area are you in?
the education thing is also heavy in our minds with a 4 and 2 year old to consider.we were out there in april and as you said it is a beautiful place and a kids paradise.

we are still bit undecided about migrating but are doin our tra anyway as that would be a major chunk of time if we go for our visas.

our 2 major concerns are the education and also the high tax and lower wages.we also found the general day to day living costs relative to the uk.

one quick question how much is child benefit and tax credit for 2 kids (if you know)

karl
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:51 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The education may seem different to what you have been used to, but we do turn out alright in the end.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
The education may seem different to what you have been used to, but we do turn out alright in the end.

i suppose some people just see different as being bad.....

also having thick kids is a smallprice to pay for living by the beach with beaut weather 9 months of the year and parks around every corner...
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:17 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by baggie
also having thick kids is a smallprice to pay for living by the beach with beaut weather 9 months of the year and parks around every corner...
PMSL
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by baggie
i suppose some people just see different as being bad.....

Great reply!!

Southern suburbs by the way.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bengyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, thanks for the info from someone about to be the "advanced party".

Definitely worth a bump up the list.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 7:01 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Villa italia in north bridge for great food
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
OK, after all of the help that I received from this website I thought that I should write a few words of my first impressions of Perth. I don't seem to able to get on the internet as much these days and so I'll probably write again in about 6 months time with a more clued up report. These are obviously first impressions....

Arrived in early July with Singapore Airlines which were as good as ever. I think that there are two ways of looking at the flight - you either get it all over with and go for the shortest layover - which I think is too knackering. Or you spend anything from 6 hours to a couple of days in Singapore (don't forget that you have the airport hotel at Changi to recharge your batteries for short periods).

I was lucky enough to stay with a friend initially which was a godsend. I was also lucky enough to start work 3 days after arrival which eased the cash situation. Just about as soon as I got out of the airport I logged on to the ATO website to get my TFN (tax file number) - this took about 10 working days to arrive at my address. I just delayed filling in my financial details with my employer until I'd received my TFN to avoid being clobbered at a high tax rate.

I arrived as the advance party - my family arrive in the next 10 days - hence I've not been to Centrelink yet to register for family tax credit/child benefit etc. I also haven't yet registered for medicare - again I'll do it as a job lot next week. Would I advise you to arrive before your family? Possibly - but it depends on your circumstances. Although it has been difficult emotionally, it was definitely better for me to get started in work, get transport sorted out, get to know the area on my own rather than with the family in tow. But on the other hand I've found it difficult to get things done after work - a partner could be getting jobs done whilst you are at work.

First thing I did was to get mobile - hired a car through Bayswater which were pretty good value. They do have a mixed reputation - my car was filthy and stank of fag smoke but for $23 a day I couldn't really complain. Get yourself a good quality street map as soon as you get here also. Contrary to other reports I have found the driving standards to be in line with the UK. The low speed limits really help - and I have seen so many police radar guns being used in school areas that you quickly realise that slow is best! Perth is basically city driving - and you have to be assertive. But generally it is fine.

I have found the road signs and road arrangement to be dire though - very similar to Asian countries - ambiguous, small and absent signs have been my personal nightmare. I also think that in suburban streets, how the junctions have little warnings and are poorly lit are problem areas.

Buying a car has been really stressful! Advertised prices are higher than the UK - although you do tend to get a bigger car. But some prices for 10 year old high mileage cars have been laughable. It took me 3 weeks but I eventually secured the car I wanted for a good price - in the end probably better than the price I'd get in the UK (and at least $2500 cheaper than the dealer was trying to charge). But I did masses of research and spent a few hours after work most nights looking in car yards and visiting homes - a complete pain. As is always the case - do your research (RAC WA has a good page on what to look for in a used car - even I could use and understand it and I'm a complete dunce with cars - BTW it's worthwhile to join RAC WA as an affiliate initially - just $20 - this then gets you access to their used car inspection service if you want it and cheaper full membership when you wish to take it out). I met a particularly dodgy character who was trying to sell a car.... For car yards - Albany Highway, Scarborough Beach Road are two areas which stand out for the number of places. John Hughes (dealer) was pretty impressive but they were the ones who were $2500 above the price I eventually got privately.
West Australian saturday and Weds and Quokka (Weds) are good sources of ads - but be quick.
Whilst the car search was ongoing I needed to keep renewing the car hire. My advice in summary - be patient. Good deals and decent owners are out there!!!

Rental
I've found Perth people to be extremely (and genuinely) friendly - just really nice. The one group of people who I have managed to take an instant dislike to are real estate agents. I don't think that I have encountered such disgraceful attitudes before. Rude, unhelpful, money grabbing would sum it up nicely. Be warned! Houses that I've seen have been expensive and poor value - and in some cases very dirty. We eventually got a decent furnished place for 6 weeks but are paying far too much for it. We intend to rent unfurnished when we know where the long term employment will be. Be very careful of lease contracts and make a point of filling in your contract conditions on the rental form.
Be aware of the fee to the estate agent - one week's rent. This really hurt! It would hurt more if you had to pay this to a particularly nasty low life who exists in the murky world that is real estate.

Education
Not particularly impressed in this area - in fact it is currently one of the major reasons why we won't stay here forever. There is a move afoot to shift towards a more consistent curriculum (as in the UK) but it's all open revolt at the minute. I'm worried about inconsistent standards between classes and schools and teacher accountability - it's all a bit cloudy!

General
Perth as a city is great. Eating is out of this world - Asian food in Northbridge is excellent and good value. The cafes in Subiaco and Fremantle are great and there's just a real buzzing cafe society (and it's still winter!). The parks for kids are superb. Kings Park (and the views) is just stunning. I even like the much maligned CBD - had a great breakfast there this morning. The beaches look great, Rottnest is excellent. General facilties are very good - I went swimming the other day - what a joy after the crowded, dirty cold pool of my local in the UK! Organised activities for kids are also great. Beer's good, wine's good. Excellent public transport system. You can see why people never leave!
It does though remind me of the UK 25 years ago. Shopping is inconvenient - I was in a mall yesterday and they started to pull the door shutters down at 4.50pm!! Late night shopping Thursdays! Internet use for business is less well developed (absent?). Industrial relations and union power remind me of the UK circa 1975.

Costs - as I'd heard and kind of predicted - are in line with the UK. Supermarkets are disappointing - (relatively) poor range of goods and I think often overpriced. Eating out and take away are just great value though. And equivalent activities seem cheaper than the UK or free.

One area of disappointment is the media - generally it's crap. Radio ABC national (810 AM!!) has some good discussion items and The Australian newspaper has saved me from mental health problems - but that's about it. I have found myself getting more into sport - it's now 4.30pm on Sunday and I never thought I'd be counting the minutes before the start of the next ashes test!!
It remains to be seen whether we'll manage financially. I'll report back in a few months. It isn't all doom and gloom though - the tax system takes away but also gives substantial amounts back.
It's bloody freezing in Perth today - but for those of you planning on arriving in Perth in winter there are some glorious days - 22 degrees and above. The locals tell me that we have about 4 weeks left of this before the weather turns and from what I can see the city will be a paradise.

So at this early stage will we stay? Yes, at least for 2 years. After that it depends on what my views of the education system are - that will be the biggest influence.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know - just 6 weeks though so I'm not sure how helpful I can be.

What an honest and realistic post.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:35 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK

Rental

Education

General

What a great post NKSK. Very interesting points there..

Do you have the internet at home yet, and if so, how is it compared to U.K?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
What a great post NKSK. Very interesting points there..

Do you have the internet at home yet, and if so, how is it compared to U.K?
I have broadband internet - seems about the same. Download speeds actually seem higher.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Perth - 6 weeks in

It was great to read your post, we move to North suburbs in 7 weeks and so was really helpful to hear your views, many thanks Nic.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:08 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

NKSK

Did you pay a letting fee for short term furnished accom?? If so then someone is really taking the p**s. You should have called us all the homes we offer are excellent quality and start from $300pw fully inclusive.

I'm glad you like Perth, it really is a fantastic city to live in.

As for the education, don't be too hard on it, as Brian says it's different and different is just that, not worse, not better, just different. My kids are far happier at school here than they ever were before, and in my mind kids in a happy environment will learn better and at the end of it all they will be educated to the same standard as all the other school leavers in the state they live in, it doesnt matter if thats different from those on the other side of the world.

Have a great time exploring when the family get here!!

Lynn
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
As for the education, don't be too hard on it, as Brian says it's different and different is just that, not worse, not better, just different.
I reckon it's worse, quite a bit worse.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:03 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon it's worse, quite a bit worse.
Can you clarify what you mean by worse? We have been here since April and my children, who are 5 and 8 seem to be doing fine. Granted the younger one is the only one out of his class that can read but that could be because he started full time school at 3 years 3 months of age in the UK. My older son has actually improved in his handwriting and reading, which were poor subjects for him in the UK.

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.