Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - 6 weeks in

Perth - 6 weeks in

Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - 6 weeks in

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Can you clarify what you mean by worse?
Sure,

My kids have had the misfortune of having a load of terrible teachers here, teachers who simply don't like kids, can't be bothered attitudes.

They're not all bad, of course,the girls have had 2 really good ones but my boy has done particularly badly out of this move.

We all know they start the kids later, also the cut off dates are different so my boy, being born in August essentially went back at least 2 years academically when we came here, that's a pretty big deal for a 6 year old. Combine that with sh*t teachers and It's been nothing short of a disaster.

As I mentioned before, a couple of weeks ago he was doing "the wheels on the bus go round and round" - a song he did at playgroup in the UK - imaging how that feels for a little kid?

Also, when we arrived he was a fluent reader and he was forced to sit through all that "annie apple" crap.

OK, they all even out in the end but making any kid go back 2 years is a pain in the butt.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Sure,

My kids have had the misfortune of having a load of terrible teachers here, teachers who simply don't like kids, can't be bothered attitudes.

They're not all bad, of course,the girls have had 2 really good ones but my boy has done particularly badly out of this move.

We all know they start the kids later, also the cut off dates are different so my boy, being born in August essentially went back at least 2 years academically when we came here, that's a pretty big deal for a 6 year old. Combine that with sh*t teachers and It's been nothing short of a disaster.

As I mentioned before, a couple of weeks ago he was doing "the wheels on the bus go round and round" - a song he did at playgroup in the UK - imaging how that feels for a little kid?

Also, when we arrived he was a fluent reader and he was forced to sit through all that "annie apple" crap.

OK, they all even out in the end but making any kid go back 2 years is a pain in the butt.
hi just read your post and getting a bit worried about education for children now i have 1 daughter aged 11 in april 2006 and will be starting high school in uk in sept 06 till visa comes through and 1 son who is in reception due to go into year 1 in sept 06 can you tell me the term time difference so what class year would they be in in oz please in jan 07 if thats when the new term year starts thanks for any info
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by john_w
hi just read your post and getting a bit worried about education for children now i have 1 daughter aged 11 in april 2006 and will be starting high school in uk in sept 06 till visa comes through and 1 son who is in reception due to go into year 1 in sept 06 can you tell me the term time difference so what class year would they be in in oz please in jan 07 if thats when the new term year starts thanks for any info
I wouldn't be too worried about the views of people on here. I went to school in Aus (albeit a long time ago) and moved to the UK aged 10 and it was like I had to repeat 2 years. My last boss was from Perth, but emigrated to UK. After 1 year he moved his family back to Perth as he found education in the UK (Derbyshire) to be very poor.

I suspect there isn't a better or worse, the two countries likely have different teaching styles.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:57 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
I wouldn't be too worried about the views of people on here.
Why is that?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Why is that?
Sorry now I reread it, it is a bit of a sweeping generalisation. I meant that someone cannot form a solid view of a countries standards of education in 6 weeks.

Oops
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:23 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry now I reread it, it is a bit of a sweeping generalisation. I meant that someone cannot form a solid view of a countries standards of education in 6 weeks.

Oops
No worries

I'll let you off
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oops
Well, it's now 6 months and I've still got concerns.
As a teacher and as a parent!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Well, it's now 6 months and I've still got concerns.
As a teacher and as a parent!
I do understand where you are coming from, our childrens education is very important to us parents but....... Your concerns are with YOUR child. You are finding that the education YOUR child is receiving in THEIR particular school compares unfavourable with the education THEY received in their prior school. I realise these are your views.

My problems start when people say generally that the education in Perth/ Australia/wherever is rubbish compared to the UK.

That is so obviously crap. Every single child is different. You (people generally, not you in particular ) could have two children in the same class and perform completely differently.

I hope you can sort out any problems you are having. How is the rest of life for you and yours. Have the rest of the family settled in? Are you still in the same rental or moved on? Love to hear.

Apologies for the minor rant, not getting at you just the generalisations that are made
Old Jan 10th 2006, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I do understand where you are coming from, our childrens education is very important to us parents but....... Your concerns are with YOUR child. You are finding that the education YOUR child is receiving in THEIR particular school compares unfavourable with the education THEY received in their prior school. I realise these are your views.

My problems start when people say generally that the education in Perth/ Australia/wherever is rubbish compared to the UK.

That is so obviously crap. Every single child is different. You (people generally, not you in particular ) could have two children in the same class and perform completely differently.

I hope you can sort out any problems you are having. How is the rest of life for you and yours. Have the rest of the family settled in? Are you still in the same rental or moved on? Love to hear.

Apologies for the minor rant, not getting at you just the generalisations that are made
I think this a very good post.
Who is someone to judge a countries schooling system based on one childs performance?
There seems to be an awful lot of "numpties" in the UK or England? for the education system to be that brilliant. :scared:
Different does not mean worse.
You can always plump for private if it concerns you that much!
There is also the option of going home to the "brilliant" English system.
I guess you have many choices open to you.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Sorry Moneypen - just caught up with this whilst trying to find a good swimming pool on the search forum!

I accept what you are saying but my view is not just as a parent judging the quality of teaching my child receives (which I have to say has been OK so far!).
My concerns are also from a teaching perspective - seeing the system in operation, having regular (probably more regular than the average parent) contact with the Department of Education, talking with colleagues.

Still the months pass and I'm just not gaining in confidence in the system but my reasons why are crystralising. Lack of rigour, an over emphasis on sport, a lack of accountability in schools, a dept for ed which does not seem to put the interests of the child at the forefront of its operations but rather its own interests (with huge knock-on effects for teachers (and therefore the kids in their care), a curriculum planning body which really does not seem to have a clue what is going on.

My child has just changed schools and I feel more comfortable now than at any time in the last 7 months about her education - but I still have this deep uneasiness about her long term future in the system.

Don't get me wrong, some English schools scared the bejeezus out of me also - but, I trusted the system, the rigour, I felt that the teaching was generally high standard, the powers that be were child centred and in the main competent (compare and contrast!). My concerns in the UK were centred around the kids who were disruptive and ruined the others' chances of a good education. (trouble is, you get that here also although it does depend on your suburb)
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything in the OP although i am also really happy with my school. my 8 year old has never enjoyed school so much and as a consequence of that enjoyment seems to be learning more. Her writing has also improved 10 fold. This is my daughters 3rd primary school now and if anything the changes have given her a different kind of education, more social and tolerant of others. The laid back attitude in the classroom here will always benefit some kids (like mine) and hinder others the same as the results driven attitude back in UK will do the same.

Some parents will love the schools, some will hate them but my advice is let the kids do the talking, if they like going to school they will learn more and to me that is what is important.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Can you clarify what you mean by worse? We have been here since April and my children, who are 5 and 8 seem to be doing fine. Granted the younger one is the only one out of his class that can read but that could be because he started full time school at 3 years 3 months of age in the UK. My older son has actually improved in his handwriting and reading, which were poor subjects for him in the UK.

Tracey
You get good and bad everywhere, we had a good school in UK, and the school my kids attend in Dalyellup, Bunbury is just the best, so we are lucky.
Our beaches are beautiful, and we have made lots of nice friends.
Estate Agents, i agree, they are just out to make money, and i hated renting, i am so glad to be in our own house now.
Denise
Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:18 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Wonder what the general feel would be to my worry.

Have 2 kids age 14 and 7, 7 year old had her problems to start with , but with much communication with the school and teachers (one particular teacher brilliant), is now doing well, above average school says

14 year old,went to secondary school and went from strength to strength, well on her way to passing exams and wants to go to university

At this moment i am extremely worried about swapping them into a differnt education system, would love to have a crystal ball and see what happens??

As I don't have one what would be the genral opinion of folks on here.

As everyone else on here we have not entered the emmigration lightly, but the more research i do about education the more worried i become, i don't want, especially 14 year old, to spoil the hard work they have put in to their education.

From another worried mum :scared: