Reload this Page >

Perfect temporary accomodation - a personal recommendation

Perfect temporary accomodation - a personal recommendation

Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

KMA in OZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perfect temporary accomodation - a personal recommendation

Hi everyone
I have been in Australia now for 2 and a half months with my husband and son and have settled quickly thanks to Steve and Sylvia at The Valley House B&B in Samford Valley near Brisbane, QLD.
We have used the Forums for months prior to our move, researching threads for practical (and emotional!) help to support our decisions but have never posted, preferring to be a 'reader'. However we all felt we had to share our positive experience with anyone else about to make the move to the Brisbane area.
Steve and Sylvia are the perfect hosts, discrete yet available in just the right balance, with years of knowledge of the area and people and also the knowledge of what it's like to emigrate, as they made the move a few years back!
The Valley House B&B is a two bedroomed guest wing with it's own private entrance and a pool (yeah! but too cold as we moved in winter!!) Check out it's website http://www.thevalleyhouse.com.au/
I work in South Brisbane (city) but we didn't want to live in the city so it was a great base for us to find our own rental in the country - we moved in 3 weeks ago, after 2 months at The Valley House!
It's not all been easy and we have had our stressful moments but nothing we wouldn't have had back in England over something or other!!
I wish anyone making the move all the luck we have had and hope you enjoy Oz as much as we are!! Our son can now go out after school on his bike to join his friends on the park or playing tennis - something he couldn't do before!

Last edited by KMA in OZ; Jun 13th 2009 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perfect temporary accomodation - a personal recommendation

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and trust that its a genuine recommendation, though I must admit a first post like this is usually advertising by the owner -hence the originaly eletion - if it turns out to be that, its gone again!!!

Hope you can join in the forum more widely and post some more of your experiences Are you renting at Samford or elsewhere?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the benefit - it is an honest personal experience - and I appreciate being 're-instated'.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:45 am
Just Joined

oops - forgot to say we are now renting in the village but hope to buy in the future out of the village somewhere with acrerage. We love Camp Mountain and Wights Mountain areas but can be flexible with the right piece of land!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KMA in OZ
oops - forgot to say we are now renting in the village but hope to buy in the future out of the village somewhere with acrerage. We love Camp Mountain and Wights Mountain areas but can be flexible with the right piece of land!
I've got several mates out there, Aussies and Poms, the reckon its gorgeous, and certainly looks it when I go out there
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've got several mates out there, Aussies and Poms, the reckon its gorgeous, and certainly looks it when I go out there
I actually feel as if I have come home and was always meant to be here! Bizarre, especially when OH had been asking for 10 years before I said YES to thinking about emigrating!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

jochris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi KMA,

It was lovely to read your post and hear your positive feedback on your experience. We have just joined this site so that I could reply to you as we are emigrating to Brisbane in Jan 2010.

We will look up the B&B you have suggested as we will need somewhere to stay initially.

I would really appreciate hearing any more about your experience or if you have any tips on where would be a nice area to settle etc. We come from Devon so are country bumkins really, well I am! Chis needs a wee bit more life around him! I plan to work within the Brisbane area, can you tell me how long your commute is from your country location.

Have a good day

Regards

Johanna
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I can back up that Steve and Sylvia are lovely as we were in contact with them a couple of years back. Although they couldn't accommodate us as we had a young child, they were more than happy to discuss emigrating with them and job prospects etc and were happy for us to meet up should we want to.

Went out for a drive to Samford and it is lovely!!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:45 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any suggestions for "perfect" temporary accomodation in Canberra? Thanks.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:58 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Even the cheap hotels are pricey in Camberra

Bloody capital city mentality... looks and feels a bit like Milton Keynes though if you ask me!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:05 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally

Bloody capital city mentality... looks and feels a bit like Milton Keynes though if you ask me!
My searches seemed to indicate that the accomodation is pricey. ...Looks like there's some tough challenges ahead!

PS: Anyone in Canberra have a patch of lawn that we can park (and live out of) for a campervan for a month or two?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jochris
Hi KMA,

It was lovely to read your post and hear your positive feedback on your experience. We have just joined this site so that I could reply to you as we are emigrating to Brisbane in Jan 2010.

We will look up the B&B you have suggested as we will need somewhere to stay initially.

I would really appreciate hearing any more about your experience or if you have any tips on where would be a nice area to settle etc. We come from Devon so are country bumkins really, well I am! Chis needs a wee bit more life around him! I plan to work within the Brisbane area, can you tell me how long your commute is from your country location.

Have a good day

Regards

Johanna
Hi Johanna
I work in South Brisbane at the Mater Children's Hospital and I mainly get the train from Ferny Grove. Now we live in the village it's a 6 min car journey to the station, 40 mins on the train then a 5 min walk from South Bank. If I take the car (at a weekend or night shift) it's about a half an hour drive. Parking is subsidised too which is great.
For us it's a great mix - living in the country with access to a city centre half an hour away!! We have never been so busy! Samford is a busy village too with lots going on and everyone we have met has been great.
Phone Steve and Sylvia to talk about your booking (if you decide to stay there) or if you want to phone me to pick my brain! I think there's a way to PM (Private Message) so that we can swap details! Again, all I can say is positive (still Stressful!! beleive it!) and big thanks to The Valley House!
Karen
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:42 am
Just Joined

jochris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen

Thank you for your reply. That sounds just right for us.

I think you may be a nurse, me too. At the moment we are in the Caribbean as I have just set up a satellite unit for Barbados Fertility Centre in their neighbouring Island of Trinidad.

I'm looking forward to Aussie, Chris too, he's a mechanic who's just finished a long service with the Marines.

I will try and find out how to send a personal message as I really don't know what I am doing on this site, I think you need to be a member of mensa to work your way around it!

Hopefully speak again and thank you for advise.

Kind regards

Johanna
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Perfect temporary accomodation - a personal recommendation

Originally Posted by jochris
Hi Karen

Thank you for your reply. That sounds just right for us.

I think you may be a nurse, me too. At the moment we are in the Caribbean as I have just set up a satellite unit for Barbados Fertility Centre in their neighbouring Island of Trinidad.

I'm looking forward to Aussie, Chris too, he's a mechanic who's just finished a long service with the Marines.

I will try and find out how to send a personal message as I really don't know what I am doing on this site, I think you need to be a member of mensa to work your way around it!

Hopefully speak again and thank you for advise.

Kind regards

Johanna
Hi Johanna
Hold the mouse over my name KMA in OZ and several options appear including send a Private Message! I've sent you one (check the top right hand of the screen!) with my details.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Karen
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally

lol.....Milton keynes!! very true!! But Kingston is a great area for food!