Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anybody's parent or parents moved out here?

Has anybody's parent or parents moved out here?

Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future
Default Has anybody's parent or parents moved out here?

I'm seeking advice from people whose parent or parents have moved over to Australia to live with them indefinitely?

I am thinking to get my Mum over here to live with us. It would be just my mum because my dad died a long time ago, I've got no siblings, so it would make sense to come and live with us once she has retired.

Has anybody else done this? if so, what is the process? I have looked into parent visa, but it is quite confusing and there are different types of parent visas. Also, if any of your parent(s) moved out here, how did they settle in?

Vicki
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anybody's parent or parents moved out here?

As I am older does your Mum want to come and live with you. I am not sure I would move to be close to my children, although I love them dearly I also am of a different generation and have different memories and lots of friends who I want to spend my time with.

It can be quite hard for an older family member moving away from her/his pond. I like the pond I am in does your Mum
Old Jun 30th 2009, 10:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
As I am older does your Mum want to come and live with you. I am not sure I would move to be close to my children, although I love them dearly I also am of a different generation and have different memories and lots of friends who I want to spend my time with.

It can be quite hard for an older family member moving away from her/his pond. I like the pond I am in does your Mum
Same question occurred to me. You, quite understandably, are probably feeling guilty for leaving your mother behind. Doesn't mean she wants to leave everything and everyone she knows in order to move something alien to be with you.

However, I assume you've already had the discussion with your mother and she's fully up for it. From what I've read in the Immi Forum, it's the hardest visa ever and can take 10 years or so to go through (and requires shed loads of money). Good luck though.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
From what I've read in the Immi Forum, it's the hardest visa ever and can take 10 years or so to go through (and requires shed loads of money). Good luck though.
Actually.....if a parent passes the balance of family test it is a very easy visa to get.

Waiting time around 18 months for the contributory visa......requires around $30000 for an individual.

G
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Actually.....if a parent passes the balance of family test it is a very easy visa to get.

Waiting time around 18 months for the contributory visa......requires around $30000 for an individual.

G
OK, although $30,000 seems high. Which is the parent one that takes donkey's years? There is one but can't remember which one.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Add me to the list of oldies who question whether you want to jolt your mum out of her social network to potential isolation and dependence on you in an alien land where her pension will be frozen once she sets foot in the place and where she will not be entitled to any benefits for 10 years. Sure there are olds who have made the choice to come and are very happy but it has been their initiative but many olds are happy in their own little pond and would probably hate to be dependent on one of their kids. I know that I wont be moving anywhere near mine.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Which is the parent one that takes donkey's years? There is one but can't remember which one.
The non contributory one....can take well over 10 years.

G
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Grayling
The non contributory one....can take well over 10 years.

G
Ta.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:39 am
Just Joined

rego is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all parents have a big family/social network in the UK. And like everyone, even the oldies have a sense of adventure/want a better life/or whatever.
Just as long as it is your parent's decision and not yours if things go wrong. Yes let them go for it! Life is very short.