Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are People from India Welcome?

Wikiposts

Are People from India Welcome?

Old Jul 21st 2003, 3:15 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Are People from India Welcome?

Originally posted by jery_wang
How about Chinese? from Singapore?
You'll receive the same welcome as "Whites" and others get in Singapore - I'm being blunt and very honest here - some people will dislike you and always treat you as a foreigner and an outsider, others will be you friend.

There's racism in Singapore regarding Indians and whites, there's also racism here. And please do not tell me that no racism exists over there - one example : I and my husband actually had to defend an Indian family before now by racist taunts by a Chinese family - their sin - they were eating in a hawker centre with their wife and young kids and smiling, laughing - enjoying themselves (it was in the West coast Hawker centre on the Chinese food isle ) - a Chinese group decided to loudly make comments about the Indian family, for no other reason than to pick a fight - My Husband got up and asked the man what his problem was? I told the lady of the group (I'm a very blunt person unlike my hubby) if she doesn't shut the F up - she'll be wiping herself off the floor.. I've also been told on many occasions by your countrymen "why you here La, go back home" - nice eh? You'll receive racism in Aus like this too by minority groups - the same as I received racism by certain bigots in your county ( there's a difference between holidaying and living in a place - you only see surfaces when you holiday)

I'm not racist , very far from it if you only but knew -- I have Chinese friends from Sing whom I still write to. I have Asian friends here in Aus , chinese mostly. But one of my very dearest friends here is a Muslim from Indonesia . I'm being blunt and honest - and anyone who tells you that you will not receive any racism at all or seclusion from certain "in" groups here - is pussyfooting around the bush, or does not know any "ethnic" people on a personal friendship level

Good luck

Cheers
Old Jul 21st 2003, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Thanks for honest reply.

I am Chinese, and I will do the same thing as you did to the Chinese family who undermine the Indian family. I myself have a very good Indian family and we get along well.

You are right, those treatment from my countrymen is something that I am not proud of and wish that one day, those people would live in a very aggresive country that they do not only feel the mis-treatment but also the prejudice, the aggresive look, etc. Then, they would realize what it is like being minority.

Jery

Originally posted by Ceri
You'll receive the same welcome as "Whites" and others get in Singapore - I'm being blunt and very honest here - some people will dislike you and always treat you as a foreigner and an outsider, others will be you friend.

There's racism in Singapore regarding Indians and whites, there's also racism here. And please do not tell me that no racism exists over there - one example : I and my husband actually had to defend an Indian family before now by racist taunts by a Chinese family - their sin - they were eating in a hawker centre with their wife and young kids and smiling, laughing - enjoying themselves (it was in the West coast Hawker centre on the Chinese food isle ) - a Chinese group decided to loudly make comments about the Indian family, for no other reason than to pick a fight - My Husband got up and asked the man what his problem was? I told the lady of the group (I'm a very blunt person unlike my hubby) if she doesn't shut the F up - she'll be wiping herself off the floor.. I've also been told on many occasions by your countrymen "why you here La, go back home" - nice eh? You'll receive racism in Aus like this too by minority groups - the same as I received racism by certain bigots in your county ( there's a difference between holidaying and living in a place - you only see surfaces when you holiday)

I'm not racist , very far from it if you only but knew -- I have Chinese friends from Sing whom I still write to. I have Asian friends here in Aus , chinese mostly. But one of my very dearest friends here is a Muslim from Indonesia . I'm being blunt and honest - and anyone who tells you that you will not receive any racism at all or seclusion from certain "in" groups here - is pussyfooting around the bush, or does not know any "ethnic" people on a personal friendship level

Good luck

Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course there are plenty of groups of immigrants who exclude Australians too. The racism goes both ways.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chuckyn
Can someone from outside Asian Continent speak humbly about this topic?

Are people from the country India welcome in Australia? On a scale of 1 to 10, what is the welcoming level?

Also, what you dont like about Indians and what you like in them ?

Kindly write politely(please avoid abrasive language, etc) as we are not looking to express agression on each other. We are looking to be better neighbors. A friendly world is a peaceful and happy world too.

Thanks for your time and efforts!
Though not a full fledged indian, I have as my name suggests indian roots & I look indian. My experience here is positive and have generally been made to feel quite welcome.
My view is that nomatter where you are, if you have a problem with a bigoted neighbour for example, let it be a problem for him and let him move if he does not like you!!.

Good luck downunder when you arrive.
rajj
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chuckyn - I'm an Aussie from Sydney originally. Off to Melbourne soon.

As previous postings have mentioned, most races are very well represented in Oz. Asian in Oz definitely refers to what was traditionally called 'Oriental' countries, not India.

The Indian population of Australia is nothing like in the UK so I've never heard of any particular abuse towards the community. Nothing like the 'Paki' thing here.

Indians I knew in Oz were mostly Fijian. Fiji has a particularly racist government structure that biases towards so-called 'real' Fijians (Polynesian extraction) and disenfranchises Fijian Indians who have been there for centuries. The bias extends to university placing quotas, jobs, etc. Many better off Fijian Indians choose to send their kids to high school and university in Oz as overseas students. Many graduates then stay on in Oz to work. They are well respected by employers.

Of course, much work everywhere in Western countries (especially in IT, call centres and so on) is now being outsourced to India with the resulting redundancies of local staff. Whether that will lead to anti-Indian feeling remains to be seen.

Good luck. You will certainly find Oz better than the UK but stick to big cities (Sydney and Melbourne esp) and avoid the redneck country towns.