Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:16 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: People of Great Britan - Take Note!

Some interesting but confusing information:

From the article
April 14, 2009

The average price for all properties sold at auction in Sydney over the first quarter was $616,237

In Melbourne, the median property auction price fell to $476,677.

In Brisbane, the median auction price fell to $439,487
But now compare those figures to the Median Property prices from July 2008:
Brisbane $425,000 Now $439,487 according to the article
Sydney $515,000 Now $616,237 according to the article
Melbourne $399,100 Now $476,677 according to the article

Result ?

Houses are going for auction at higher prices than the median prices from 9 months ago.

Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:19 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louH
I'm sorry to rant but there are NO jobs here - not in Whoop Whoop, not for you if you are a very special tinker, taylor or whatever else. No jobs, none, nada, zero, zip so please don't ask cos the answer will always be NO.

Before you ask I've just had yet another interview rejection and felt like screaming - so there you go!

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH
What about all those Indonesian migrant workers arriving to Australia?

Those large Australian spiders that don't exist in neither Canada nor the UK are a tasty treat when food become scarce. Or, you can take a cheap flight on Air Asia and go to Indonesia for only 50 dollars and ride out the recession. Indonesian Rupiah is really cheap. You can get 1000 Rupiah for less than 10 cents Australian.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
You don't live here, I do, I'm watching first-hand the movements of the property market here and I'm telling you that (in this area) property has reached the bottom and is on the way back up. I honestly couldn't give a shit if it's over-priced - as far as I'm concerned it's *all* overpriced, but you can either piss and whine about the cost of it all - or get in the game.

I mean seriously, I sold a poxy little two bedroom bungalow (built in 1980) in the UK on 400m2 for a quarter of a million quid a couple of years ago - are you suggesting that's somehow preferable to the $400k I paid for a four bedroom two storey home with pool on an 800m2 block, five minutes walk from a stunning beach lapped by the Pacific Ocean?

I live here. I don't think NSW has reached the bottom of the property market.

Also, technically it's the Tasman Sea .

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Apr 15th 2009 at 5:37 am.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I live here. I don't think NSW has reached the bottom of the property market.
Property movements vary all over NSW. As I keep saying - in this area it's on the way back up - but that's probably because it also reached bottom here a long time before the toxic debt issue.

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Also, technically it's the Tasman Sea .
lol - aye.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:24 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

lol - aye.
Sorry, I am a geography graduate. I can't help it.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by benlast
If you ask about a job on this forum, many of the replies will be from those who are feeling frustrated about jobhunting, and they'll take the chance to rant because (a) it relieves their feelings and (b) it might put off new immigrants who could reduce their chances of finding a job.
You forgot to mention another reason why you might be seeing negative rants on here:
(c) they're genuinely trying to help people from assuming jobs are plentiful and easy to get.

I'm not normally one to spout doom and gloom but I've heard enough negative stories from my Aussie friends to know times are tough. My friends husband lost his job before Christmas and still hasn't found anything permanent despite being qualified and having experience. There are hardly any jobs in his field at the moment. My friend has also had her part time hours at a major supermarket chain cut down to hardly anything.

I'm not even going to mention my other aussie friends who have husbands in the building trade, but I will say they're not doing so hot either.

So perhaps some of you should keep in mind the fact that there are people on here who are genuinely trying to be helpful. Personally I've been getting annoyed when all the really helpful posts are getting dismissed by people who refuse to see what's happening. Yes some of it is over the top, but for your own good you should really be taking a good long look at the situation and try to see who is being helpful and who isn't.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:25 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Low interest rates and the higher FHOG are the causes of the boost. Neither are sustainable neither is the low unemployment rate which is showing signs of accelerating.
Property movements vary all over NSW. As I keep saying - in this area it's on the way back up - but that's probably because it also reached bottom here a long time before the toxic debt issue.

lol - aye.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:53 am
Just Joined

hootcootawe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555
You forgot to mention another reason why you might be seeing negative rants on here:
(c) they're genuinely trying to help people from assuming jobs are plentiful and easy to get.

I'm not normally one to spout doom and gloom but I've heard enough negative stories from my Aussie friends to know times are tough. My friends husband lost his job before Christmas and still hasn't found anything permanent despite being qualified and having experience. There are hardly any jobs in his field at the moment. My friend has also had her part time hours at a major supermarket chain cut down to hardly anything.

I'm not even going to mention my other aussie friends who have husbands in the building trade, but I will say they're not doing so hot either.

So perhaps some of you should keep in mind the fact that there are people on here who are genuinely trying to be helpful. Personally I've been getting annoyed when all the really helpful posts are getting dismissed by people who refuse to see what's happening. Yes some of it is over the top, but for your own good you should really be taking a good long look at the situation and try to see who is being helpful and who isn't.
I can see what you are saying however, people come on this site to network also, and as soon as they find something are not that quick to place a whoop whoop on here saying that they have managed to find a job.

I have a friend in brissy who took 3 months to find a job, hated it whilst he was searching but now hardly uses the forum as he hasnt enough time with work and other stuff.

It can be a blinkered world if we all class the state of oz without being there (and I am one until June) and just reading forums.

My aim is to keep a very downtrodden anticipation of the job market (missus is sponsored psychologist) and therefore I wont be sorely disappointed if it takes a long time to find something.

The UK job market is not very strong at the moment, although for the past 6 years I have been gaining every qualification I can get to make myself more marketable as you have to get yourself to the head of the queue.

I cant see the point of leaving the UK without a hope you will be needed by an employer in Oz.

Still love the forums tho.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Low interest rates and the higher FHOG are the causes of the boost. Neither are sustainable neither is the low unemployment rate which is showing signs of accelerating.
Statement of fact is it? You're suddenly the expert the planet's been crying out for - the one who can answer the questions the finest economists in the land have been struggling over. It's all so easy when it's black and white.

Three points. Firstly, (as I keep repeating and as you and others keep ignoring) property hit rock bottom here long before the meltdown elsewhere. Secondly - it had begun to rise before the stimulus packages hit. Thirdly - unemployment in this area is already amongst the worst in the country (try 23% youth unemployment) and has also plateaued.

Any other pearls of wisdom you care to share?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:54 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Statement of fact is it? You're suddenly the expert the planet's been crying out for - the one who can answer the questions the finest economists in the land have been struggling over. It's all so easy when it's black and white.

Three points. Firstly, (as I keep repeating and as you and others keep ignoring) property hit rock bottom here long before the meltdown elsewhere. Secondly - it had begun to rise before the stimulus packages hit. Thirdly - unemployment in this area is already amongst the worst in the country (try 23% youth unemployment) and has also plateaued.

hey up chuck, best you get your gardening gloves out and trim those green shoots back a little.

me and the kids been busy checking nsw house prices, every suburb has a minus sign in front of median house prices

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/sna...te=nsw&alpha=a

what suburb you listed in then we will check yours out

Last edited by dinner-dash; Apr 15th 2009 at 11:06 am.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
hey up chuck, best you get your gardening gloves out and trim those green shoots back a little.
?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

houses in oz are the most overpriced in the world ,especially in perth........be realistic.......a crash is coming !! debt is not wealth.

oz is perhaps 12-18 months behind the rest of the world and the housing market is being kept artificially high with the FHOG.

tbh.....people must be mad to buy right now.........imagine having a 400k home loan with the prospect of losing your job in the near future or the threat of negative equity

i`m probably gonna flamed for saying this but i`m sitting tight on my 300k and gonna buy in about 12months or so.......just my opinion ,thats all.

and if you want graphs and stats take a look here..........

http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...hp?showforum=9

it has all the info you could hope for
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

?
probably means this........
http://blogs.ft.com/maverecon/2009/0...lobal-economy/
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:53 pm
ABCDiamond

me and the kids been busy checking nsw house prices, every suburb has a minus sign in front of median house prices

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/sna...te=nsw&alpha=a

what suburb you listed in then we will check yours out
Cambridge Park 2747 NSW

Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:32 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

What got up your butt?

Is that your opinion or fact the market reached the bottom? I guess your opinion is that we are not hitting a dead cat bounce.

The only other thing I recommend people look at is the 1987 stock crash and the subsequent economic downturn, especially house prices and unemployment levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.